DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L 2WD
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Trober is on a distinguished road
Default Oil questions!

Ive hurd the 4.7s have small oil passages and heavy oil can restrict pressure? I was wondering if i can run 10/30 in the summer months? Im running what it calls for right now cuz its cold (5/30). Will the 10/30 disapate more heat in the summer time? The only reason i ask is cuz i can get 10w/30 part synthetic from work for free!
Im running mobile 1 full synthetic right now
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2013, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

The thinner oil will disappate heat better.
The bigger question is the fact your swapping differant oils,from a full synthetic to a part synthetic,personally i'd stick with one or the other.

Quit being cheap,and stealing oil from your employer.

If you've been running a full synthetic for awhile ,i'd stay with it.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:36 AM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Trim Level: Big Horn 4X4
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
markjr is on a distinguished road

Run it like you have. Yeah, you might save a few bucks for a little while, Lock it up and it'll cost you a whole lot more than the "free" deal. 5/30 is 5/30, Dodge built it, they know what it needs.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjr View Post
Run it like you have. Yeah, you might save a few bucks for a little while, Lock it up and it'll cost you a whole lot more than the "free" deal. 5/30 is 5/30, Dodge built it, they know what it needs.
Yep, agree. Why second guess the engineers who designed the motor? Stick with what is recommended and full synthetic is typically the better choice.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L 2WD
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Trober is on a distinguished road

Ive always ran whats recommended and this is the firdt oil change ive given it since i bought it it was simple yes or no ?s i didnt need smart*** comments
Old 11-21-2013, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Could be the way you posted the question.

You added way too much info lad
Old 11-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

5w30 vs 10w30 shouldn't make a difference. Where are you located? Might make a slight difference if you are in a cold climate.

"A vehicle's oil has to be thick, but not too thick. It is important that in the winter, the oil be thin enough to allow for the engine to start. But when the engine is warm, the oil must be thick enough to lubricate properly. That's where the numbers come into play.

Neither number corresponds to an actual 'weight,' even though that is the term most people use when referring to motor oil. The viscosity (flow resistance) is tested by allowing a small amount of oil to flow through an aperture. The quicker the oil flows, the lower the rating numbers.

The first number rates the viscosity of the oil at a temperature of 0 degrees F, mimicking cold winter weather, which is why the 'W' designation is added at the end of the first number. The second number repeats the test at 210 degrees F., or normal operating temperature for a fully-warmed engine.

The 'W' rating can be 5, 10, 15 or 20; lower numbers mean the oil is thinner in cold temperatures, necessary for icy climates. The second number rating (meant to represent normal operating temperature of an engine) can be 20, 30, 40 or 50. Warm-weather spots usually require oil in the upper end of that range that can handle extreme heat."

So essentially 5w30 and 10w30 are identical at normal operating temperature. The difference is on cold starts in cold weather.

Also, you must have a pre 08 4.7L, correct? Assuming this based on the oil weight(the 08+ use 5w20).

If you change the oil regularly you won't have any of the so called "common" 4.7L oil issues. They occur when people don't do regular maintenance. I've known a lot of people with 4.7L's (both generations) and nobody has ever had any issues at all with any of their trucks. Same goes for the hemi ram owner's I know. That's why I got a ram, I've seen so many people that I know have such good luck with them.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 11-22-2013 at 05:56 PM.