DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of
Default tonneau cover dome light project

I finally got around to starting my tonneau cover dome light project. Sadly I was unable to get it completed yesterday. There were a couple of reasons for this.

1) I got tired of laying underneath the truck, trying to decide where exactly to run the wires.
2) Once I decided where to run the wires, it seemed to be a lot like work for the amount of time I had available to complete the project (in one day)
3) I tried removing the mounting bolt that holds the cover on the rear seat storage compartment, and I realized that I hadn't eaten enough of my Wheaties. That bugger is on there very well. I think I'll need a longer socket wrench, so that I can get a bit more leverage.
4) As a result of 3 above I wasn't able to fully investigate where to run the wires into the interior so that I can tap into the cargo light circuit.

Here's a question though. I did do some preliminary looking for the proper wire. I was on the driver's side, rear. I pulled the carpet out of the way, and I found what looked like a wire loom of sorts that was pretty hard plastic. Is this where I need to tap into to find the proper wire, or do I need to head over to the passenger side? I've got another thread or two bookmarked for reference when it comes time to find the right wire.

Below are some pics of the little bit that I've already got completed. I'll add more as I find the time to get it done. Sadly it won't be today as I'm due to head out to work early this afternoon, and I'll be out of town for a few days.

Here is the light after it was mounted.

As a reference, this is the same light sitting on my kitchen counter prior to mounting.

From a distance perspective. You can see that I removed the left tail light so that I could fish the wires down underneath the truck.

This is the pigtail that I made up to be able to connect the light. It's just a couple of wires connected to the matching plug that is on the light, in cased in wire loom.

Pigtail installed and tacked down with some cable connectors.

The other half of the pig tail. I followed the same route as the loom that is enclosing the wires for the keyless entry tie in of the lock on the cover

I then ran the loom out under the Bed Rug, and through a hole that allowed me to run the wires behind the tail light. I then ran it under the truck. That is pretty much as far as I've gotten. I did tie wrap everything frequently so that it wasn't droopy or in the way of anything. When I get around to attempting to finish this project I'll try to take more pics as I go along.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Running Wide Open

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:988
Kamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to behold

Awesome start bud, that looks like it will turn out pretty slick when you get her done i was wondering when we would hear from you again on that light
Old 11-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

man, I would've put about 4 of those lights under there!
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 11-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
Claff is on a distinguished road

Did you give any thought to using a battery-operated light instead? I have one under my tonneau, no wires to run, no switches to deal with, etc. Takes four AAA batteries but with LEDs those should last quite a long time.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claff View Post
Did you give any thought to using a battery-operated light instead? I have one under my tonneau, no wires to run, no switches to deal with, etc. Takes four AAA batteries but with LEDs those should last quite a long time.
that's not near as fun as hardwiring everything!
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claff View Post
Yes I did. In fact I removed a battery operated light to install this one.

The batteries kept going dead on me, and it seemed like when ever I needed the light, the batteries were always dead. By hard wiring it, I don't have to worry about that, and like Drummer said, it's more fun to hard wire it

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill