DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
tjmjnj is on a distinguished road
Default Just installed some HID bi-xenon in my '11 1500 w/ duals

Anyone thinking about this should just go ahead and do it. Seriously.

I had my headlights aimed correctly and on a leveled truck and still the OEM setup is very inadequate. It seems obvious that aesthetics over functionality is the issue so there is no easy way to get around that obstacle while keeping the OEM headlights. The only way to fix the issue is to provide a lot more light in the OEM housings, hence the HID bi-xenon swap I'm talking about.

Anyway, I bought and installed a kit from retro shop as Jeremy hooked me up with a 35watt 5000k package for less than $200. End result = I no longer have to be home when the street lights come on.

The kit puts out a proper amount of natural white light for easy night driving without blinding oncoming traffic. I'll say this, after you install this setup the deficiencies in the headlamp design becomes very apparent as you will see dull spots on the horizon. Those dull spots would represent what in OEM-form are pure black unlit parts of the roadway. However with this kit those blackened blotches are now lit far brighter than the OEM units could ever provide. Basically it goes from these headlights suck! to I can see that chick's thong through her damn jeans!

High beams? They work perfectly. Being a single bi-xenon bulb in the headlamp means the change in lighting is done through a mechanical movement of the bulb within the bulb socket. When the high beams are activated the bulbs lever maybe 15-20 degrees and cast the light pattern that is further down the road. There is no actual increase in output, the bulb simply relocates and changes the angle of reflectivity.

Flashing? I don't know. I'll have to try it with some people I know first but I think that maybe a flash in the rearview might seem like normal pitch and heave of the car following behind and not register to the driver because the overall light output behind him never changed. In oncoming traffic I think a flash is more obvious because of the instant directional change and illumination of the headlamps. Going from bright as the damn sun to oh, god! my eyes!

Also the reflective glow coming off the topside of their car looks like a search light racing towards you! Bonus?!

Automatic setting on your headlights? There are no issues. With the press of the remote the xenon bulbs fires off and within seconds begin to flicker and combust to provide stadium lighting. You won't trip getting to or from your truck unless you're drunk or you wear a helmet 24/7.

cons?

I found what I thought to be a couple of minor weak points in the kit that I was able to address. First would be that the projector plug that comes off the bulb/socket assembly has extremely thin wires and very loose fitting weather grommets. I used some clear silicone to seal the grommet area then wrapped the thin wires to give them some stability against flexing. I could see how with normal driving and bouncing the wires could stress break if they were not beefed up. Secondly the weather boot that connects to the Morimoto control module was also very loose fitting but I was able to wrap this as well and eliminate any possibility of water intrusion. So only time will tell now and if I have problems I'll update this thread.

Well, that's my .02
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:113
Firemedic10584 will become famous soon enoughFiremedic10584 will become famous soon enough

I had HIDs in my 2011 also...no issues. But my 2013 has been a different story. Im currently only running HIDs in my fogs and even those I needed a relay on.