DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Hoffman462 is on a distinguished road
Default Winter Is Coming

No, these aren't just the words of House Stark.

Being new to the truck world, what are the tips that you have learned for winter handling and winter driving with your RAM?

I recall hearing horror stories about people saying "Oh I put lots of cement blocks in the back" -- Is this an old wives tale?

Does 4 Wheel Drive help or hurt? I've read so many different takes.

What have you learned from driving a RAM in the winter?
thanks for sharing.
-Dan
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I don't do anything different for winter driving, but then I live in Louisiana, where if they threaten snow or ice they pretty much shut the state down.

Having said that, I've lived and driven where it's cold, wet, snow covered, and icy. I've had both four wheel drive and two wheel drive trucks. I've also pulled lots of people out of the ditch up in Vermont that thought that the four wheel drive would solve all of their driving troubles on snow covered roads (they were proven wrong on numerous occasions).

I would say that 4X4 is an advantage when the roads get a little slippery, though it's not a fix all. You may have four wheel drive, what you don't necessarily have is a specialized version of four wheel stopping. Anti-lock brakes can only do so much.

Put a little weight in the rear, add a bag of sand or kitty litter (the cheap dusty stuff) and use your head while driving and you should be OK.

Welcome to the Z, you'll find this a great place to discover the mods that you never realized that you needed. Be sure to stop by the newbie section if you haven't already for a proper welcome.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 11-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
NewfoundlandRam is on a distinguished road

I live in Newfoundland which can have some horrible driving conditions in the winter. The biggest problem was outlined above and that is people thinking 4 wheel drive will solve all problems. Sure it will help a lot, but I drive the same speed in two wheel drive as I do in four wheel drive. I find my ram to excellent in the snow and have had to pull a few other vehicles out of the ditch in my travels.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:76
Radak04 will become famous soon enough

Winter is a subjective term.

Not sure where you live, but here it's snowy, icy and cold. -40 to -50 is pretty common in the dead of winter. Sounds like Louisiana is much more hospitable in the colder months. Different rules apply for different regions.

4x4 will help you get moving, but it won't help you stop or turn. Here winter tires are a must (here).

Weight in the back does help for traction, especially with 2wd vehicles, just be aware that if you hit the ditch (or anything else) any unsecured load in the back will come flying at the cab. I'd stay away from cinder blocks personally.

4WD auto and a good set of tires should be more than enough to keep you safe.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

with out knowing where you live it is hard to help you. i like good all terrain tires. wrangler durtracs seem to be popular hear. i never add any weight in the bed. on ice or pcked snow, slow and steady, no quick turns nd never slam your brakes on. when in doubt, stay home or at work. 4wd is not the "i can do anything go anywhere many people believe it is.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
RUSHified is on a distinguished road

I clicked on this cause of the GoT reference, LOL But I guess I can reply, umm I live in Los Angeles, so all we get is some rain. I don't really put anything in the bed and at lights as I'm taking off, if the tires spin a bit i just pedal it and its all good. Oh well, good luck you guys.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Last winter I had a large cement block that went against my rubbermaid toolbox and had a strap holding it in secure between my tailgate and the strap. Also have a soft cover too, but never had no issue with it moving when I was messing around in empty parking lots pretending I was a pro drifter or something. 4x4 is excellent is starting to move and continuing moving in bad storms and from stops. Just when you are using it, you want to always be a step ahead and not try to brake hard or turn sharp as if the weather is that bad you will just slide on by. Had no problems last year with my truck, I honestly went to an empty parking lot during/after a bad storm and practised driving through snow and bad weather and how to get used to how your truck manages. My friend somehow never got stuck in his rwd v6 single cab long box GMC, but he did have decent tires and had a secured box for patio stones in the bed right above the rear axle.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 11-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:1056
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

The trick to winter driving is smooth and steady. Nothing aggressive and remember..Its not the going that usually causes problems, its the stopping..
Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

OK first off I am from Quebec, where the winters are ridiculas, we can get 9ft of snow one year and barely any the year after. There are many things to consider and it also depends on the type of 4x4 you have on your truck.

Here is my Opinion from driving on Quebec, Canada roads for over 35 years

1) your truck is as good as the tires you have on it for snow. ice or the type of winter you have in your area., A 4 season tire does nothing but road ok on pavement in the winter.

2) 4X4 is for getting you out of a snowbank, get you off and rolling in snow, it should not be used as a standard driving setup.

3) Todays trucks with traction control, ABS and stability control will work plenty well in 90% of all Winter situations.

4) If you have 4wd auto, this is nice for most everyday winter driving

5) 4x4 does not mean you can do 100mph on the highway in a snow storm, you will usually be the first one in the ditch.

6) the only weight you want in your bed its a tied down weight, sand bags are the best if you really need it, if you get stuck on ice you have sand to get you out

7) All this info is dependent on where you will live, New York winters are way different then Yukon winters.

Personally I rarely use the 4x4 on the truck unless I need it in a particular situation. Highway I am never in 4x4. you have more control without it. Small city streets full of snow I will use it but up to date in the last 2 years I have used it only once and we have snow storms like you would not believe here.

JMO, Hope this helps you decide what you will need for your area of the woods
Old 11-07-2013, 01:37 AM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1520
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
OK first off I am from Quebec, where the winters are ridiculas, we can get 9ft of snow one year and barely any the year after. There are many things to consider and it also depends on the type of 4x4 you have on your truck.

Here is my Opinion from driving on Quebec, Canada roads for over 35 years

1) your truck is as good as the tires you have on it for snow. ice or the type of winter you have in your area., A 4 season tire does nothing but road ok on pavement in the winter.

2) 4X4 is for getting you out of a snowbank, get you off and rolling in snow, it should not be used as a standard driving setup.

3) Todays trucks with traction control, ABS and stability control will work plenty well in 90% of all Winter situations.

4) If you have 4wd auto, this is nice for most everyday winter driving

5) 4x4 does not mean you can do 100mph on the highway in a snow storm, you will usually be the first one in the ditch.

6) the only weight you want in your bed its a tied down weight, sand bags are the best if you really need it, if you get stuck on ice you have sand to get you out

7) All this info is dependent on where you will live, New York winters are way different then Yukon winters.

Personally I rarely use the 4x4 on the truck unless I need it in a particular situation. Highway I am never in 4x4. you have more control without it. Small city streets full of snow I will use it but up to date in the last 2 years I have used it only once and we have snow storms like you would not believe here.

JMO, Hope this helps you decide what you will need for your area of the woods
I have a few things to add:

Be EXTRA careful for the first few snow falls of the year. People are going to need to re-learn how to drive. Even those with four wheel drive.

Take your time getting somewhere. You don't want to rush and end up in the ditch or worse. Like others have said the 4 wheel drive can get you out of bad spots BUT if you drive like a maniac it will get you in the ditch deeper.

I personally have never had or needed weight in the back of my four wheel drive trucks. If you live in an area that is rural and the streets don't get plowed right away then use sand as weight like Asur said. It is frikken amazing when you can come to a dead stop at a traffic light on a hill in the middle of a blizzard and take off again like the middle of summer. I will never go without four wheel drive again.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover

Last edited by DarthRam; 11-07-2013 at 01:47 AM.