DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 4.7L Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

haha yeah a lot of my thread is fluff and screwing around....sorry

I actually bought my converter used from a good member on here with a built up 3rd gen hemi. It is an edge converter. No actual issues, just doesn't perform as well as I'd like but that's probably because it was built for his truck which produces peak torque at a lower rpm, more hp, and it was lighter with much higher numerical gear ratio. I don't really mind the soft pedal too much, although it was a big downside to the converter while towing up the mountains. That's really the main reason to go back to stock.

I think he said it was like a 3000 or 3200 rpm stall on his truck. On mine it's about a 2700 rpm stall. What I don't like is when I floor it it seems to launch then bog for a second then proceed to accelerate. Again, probably because it's not really a perfect fit for my setup.

FWIW I believe the stock 4.7L converter is a 2400rpm stall.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2013, 11:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

There's some good info mixed in with your fluff,lol.

You know that's something i haven't done yet,is step on the brakes and see where it does stall too.

If the stock 4.7's convertor does stall at 2400,that makes me wonder how close it is to the RT's 2600 convertor.
Do you know if they might be the same convertor?

I'm not as familar as i should be with these convertors,but it almost sounds like the engagement just past stall is tightening up a bit fast on you,torque or lack there of could be the problem if the convertor was built more cubes.
Rick
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

the RT has a different converter, not he same as the 4.7 or any other ram model. It's unique to the RT.

It flashes to ~2700rpm (no brake). Stock should flash stall to around 2400 rpm.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 AM

Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

What's yours stall at Sean?

Flash and stall are usually quite a bit differant.

It does make me wonder though,what the differance is between the RT and the 4.7's convertor.
A 4.7's convertor might be a cheap upgrade for the guys with the 5.7,lol.
Theoritically the RT's version should be a bit heavier duty,but is it,lol
Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 AM

Brake, flash, and true stall all are different numbers. I don't recall if they rate them by flash or true stall, but mine flashes to about 2700rpm on my truck. I believe the guy I bought it from said it flashed to about 3000rpm on his.

Considering the cost of an oem converter, I'd think an aftermarket one would be the best option.

BTW transengineer could give you the different part numbers and specifications for all the oem converters if you're interested.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:59 PM

Brake and True stall are pretty close on rpm,Flash is the one that's usually noticably higher.
Not sure how most convertors are rated these days,but it used to be brake that was used.

I was thinking of used with a flush,lol.
I haven't checked,but i'm thinking used 4.7 convertors should be virtually free,lol.
Throw a flush on it,and away you go,but it'd only be for the guys who are really bucks down.
If you can afford aftermarket,that's definitely the better choice.

I'm hoping TE is sorta watching this,cause i would like to know the differances in the stock vertors.
Rick
Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 PM

Well you can get an aftermarket converter for ~$200. Other than a junkyard (kind of a pain) it'll prob be hard to find used unless you find someone that swapped in an aftermarket one. But most 4.7 owner's aren't performance seekers lol.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:36 PM

LOL,okay now that i hadn't thought of..

Yea what is there about a 1/2 dozen of us interested in the 4.7.
Just kidding i know there's more,just seems like that's all though,lol.

I'm waiting to see how long Darkknight's takes a 125 shot,think i seen him post he was stepping up to a bigger shot awhile ago,lol.

I wonder how his head gaskets are gonna take it,as far as i can tell,the 4.7's have a fairly tough bottom end,but light on head gasket clamping.
Still way behind on learning these motors though,lol.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 AM

Yeah I used to email with him just about daily but haven't lately. Not sure exactly what he's up to right now, think he's in school.

The 4.7L bottom end is very strong. It uses a one piece crank girdle(in lieu of individual main caps). Not sure if the 4.7 has the same thin top ring land like the hemi. Probably does due to emissions as I think that's why it's designed that way.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:51 PM

It is a fairly recent design engine as far as i've found out.
I haven't pinned the exact date down ,but it looks like the engine was designed in the late 90's.
So i would think you're right about a light top ring.

I've never seen a pic of the 4.7's internals,if you have anything worth reading on them Sean,i'd sure appreciate reading it.
Thanks
Rick