DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Fullmetal is on a distinguished road
Default Mopar Cold Air Intake/T-304 Cat-Back Exhaust System Experience

Hello,

I am planning on getting a 2014 Blacked Out Ram 1500 and am thinking of getting the dealer to put on the Mopar Cold Air Intake & Cat-Back Exhaust System. Has anyone had this done? Or do you suggest doing in with aftermarket parts? The one reason I was going to do through dealer is that I do not believe it would affect the warranty if they performed the service.

Btw, love these boards with the useful info.

Thanks,

Sean
MODS: Mopar: Bright Pedal Kit, Hard Folding Tonneau Cover, Black Aluminum Running Boards, Molded Splash Guards, Door Sill Guards; Cabin Filter, Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna, EGR Black Matte In-Channel Window Visors, 3M 20% Tinted front windows, Xenon Licence bulbs, Dee Zee tailgate assist
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

You're over taxing your brain. YOu won't notice a dimes worth of difference in performance except you will stand straighter with your lighter wallet. It's all smoke and mirrors for the gullible people who think there is such a thing as free lunch.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Black Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:10
BlackRam87 is on a distinguished road

I just bought the same truck as far as the mopar cai i did it myself and it was the biggest pain in the ass the box barely fits and the clamp they supply for the filter is barely big eniugh so have them do it and i really didnt feel a difference
Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 2014 2500 Megacab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black gold Pearl coat
awo1aggie is on a distinguished road

Mopar's CAI is made by AEM. You can by the AEM bruteforce CAI system for about 100 less and get the EXACT same system. The only differnence is it doesn't say Mopar on it. But like was mentioned before, there isn't much difference.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmetal View Post
Hello,

I am planning on getting a 2014 Blacked Out Ram 1500 and am thinking of getting the dealer to put on the Mopar Cold Air Intake & Cat-Back Exhaust System. Has anyone had this done? Or do you suggest doing in with aftermarket parts? The one reason I was going to do through dealer is that I do not believe it would affect the warranty if they performed the service.
What is your goal, eye candy under the hood and a different exhaust note? If you are looking for better performance this won't do it.

An engine is a big air pump, air in and air out. The more air in and out, the more power the engine can make up to a point. The computer, sensors, and injectors have limits. If you are going to change out parts with performance in mind, first find out how much air flow the factor systems offer and then what increase over factory an aftermarket system can flow.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Express
Snappy is on a distinguished road

FWIW....

I remember adding ram air, headers, cat back exhaust and a true intake manifold to one of my mustangs....never "felt" any difference at all.

Exhaust is always a fun mod - at least you can hear it.

If you are in the purchase process, I'd get the lowest gears possible from the factory vs a cold air intake.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Rep:117
Rusty289 will become famous soon enoughRusty289 will become famous soon enough

Just a few thoughts:

The theory behind a CAI is that cold air makes more horsepower, so getting colder air to the engine would tell the computer that more fuel can be thrown in there to mix with that colder air thereby producing more horsepower. There has to be some truth to this, there has to be some gain by adding a CAI. It might be a small gain but my brain tells me theres going to be something, you may not be able to "Feel" it but I'm guessing it would show up on a dyno or 1/4 mile time slip.

Now having said that, the question would be is it worth it?

I have also heard that the CAI changes the sound from under the hood quite a bit, be it bad or good people are gonna hear this thing coming when your on the throttle.

Might not be a huge gain, but it's not huge money either.

Just my thoughts.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty289 View Post
Just a few thoughts:

The theory behind a CAI is that cold air makes more horsepower, so getting colder air to the engine would tell the computer that more fuel can be thrown in there to mix with that colder air thereby producing more horsepower. There has to be some truth to this, there has to be some gain by adding a CAI. It might be a small gain but my brain tells me theres going to be something, you may not be able to "Feel" it but I'm guessing it would show up on a dyno or 1/4 mile time slip.

Now having said that, the question would be is it worth it?

I have also heard that the CAI changes the sound from under the hood quite a bit, be it bad or good people are gonna hear this thing coming when your on the throttle.

Might not be a huge gain, but it's not huge money either.

Just my thoughts.
While your theory is correct the thing you're forgetting is that the OEM intake on Ram's is already a CAI. That's why there's very minimal difference when adding an aftermarket CAI. Sure you might see a few more horsepower on a dyno. But what's 3 horsepower on a 395 hp engine? Not even a 1% gain.... In a 1/4 mile run you'd probably be better off taking off the intake completely to get as much air flowing as possible over trying to get cold air.

Depending on the design on the CAI you will definitely get more sound. Especially with an Airaid or K&N that's an open design. But to do that is pretty much going backwards performance wise.

As I've mentioned in many other threads on this forum, the only CAI's I would consider for a hemi are an S&B or the Vararam. Both look great and function the best IMO. Any other intake is not really worth the money as you're taking steps backwards from the OEM intake. You'd be better off modding your OEM intake and throwing in a drop in filter.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 11-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Rep:117
Rusty289 will become famous soon enoughRusty289 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
While your theory is correct the thing you're forgetting is that the OEM intake on Ram's is already a CAI. That's why there's very minimal difference when adding an aftermarket CAI. Sure you might see a few more horsepower on a dyno. But what's 3 horsepower on a 395 hp engine? Not even a 1% gain.... In a 1/4 mile run you'd probably be better off taking off the intake completely to get as much air flowing as possible over trying to get cold air.

Depending on the design on the CAI you will definitely get more sound. Especially with an Airaid or K&N that's an open design. But to do that is pretty much going backwards performance wise.

As I've mentioned in many other threads on this forum, the only CAI's I would consider for a hemi are an S&B or the Vararam. Both look great and function the best IMO. Any other intake is not really worth the money as you're taking steps backwards from the OEM intake. You'd be better off modding your OEM intake and throwing in a drop in filter.
Completely agree with you Brandon, its definitely not a big or noticeable gain.

I did not realize that the stock or OEM intake was a cold air intake, maybe just replacing the stock filter with a high flow would be the better option if thats the case?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty289 View Post
Completely agree with you Brandon, its definitely not a big or noticeable gain.

I did not realize that the stock or OEM intake was a cold air intake, maybe just replacing the stock filter with a high flow would be the better option if thats the case?
Yup, it is. If you want the same performance gains as an aftermarket CAI without spending huge money. Get a drop in filter (stay away from K&N), add a secondary intake tube to the bottom of your air box (search the forum for threads on how to do this) and replace the intake tube between the air box and throttle body to free up some flow. That will literally give you everything that an aftermarket intake provides except the for the appearance. So if you just want the small amount of performance gain then that's a great option. If you want the performance gain and a bit of a nicer look under the hood as well then take a look at the S&B or Vararam. You just have to justify if the look of either of those intakes are worth the extra cost for you.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's