DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting


Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-05-2013, 01:27 PM
chuck2417 chuck2417 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 264
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 2
Rep:158
chuck2417 has a spectacular aura aboutchuck2417 has a spectacular aura about
Default HID relay harness

So what I am reading is one should use a relay to avoid potentially harming factory wiring. I know canbus ballasts say they don't need it, others need it to stop flickering. I understand it's to allow the bulbs to have consistent power. However all the images I see of harnesses have the following connections
- 2 ballast connectors (one for each side)
- positive and ground wires (red and black)
- relay, usually with a fuse (no direct plug into anything, part of the harness)
- 1 factory plug (for oem light) (9006 connector in the 2013 rams)

My question is if one uses this harness would he not get a bulb out warning as the factory harness for the passenger bulb would be disconnected?

Perhaps someone can clear this up?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 11-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Kamanhart's Avatar
Kamanhart Kamanhart is offline
Man Up And Cam Up
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Peoria, Il
Age: 22
Posts: 939
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 3
Rep:999
Kamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck2417 View Post
So what I am reading is one should use a relay to avoid potentially harming factory wiring. I know canbus ballasts say they don't need it, others need it to stop flickering. I understand it's to allow the bulbs to have consistent power. However all the images I see of harnesses have the following connections
- 2 ballast connectors (one for each side)
- positive and ground wires (red and black)
- relay, usually with a fuse (no direct plug into anything, part of the harness)
- 1 factory plug (for oem light) (9006 connector in the 2013 rams)

My question is if one uses this harness would he not get a bulb out warning as the factory harness for the passenger bulb would be disconnected?

Perhaps someone can clear this up?
Thanks!
Most relays harnesses will come with the connector that plugs into the drivers side light plug and it is the control switch for you relay and it will also have resistors that you will have to ground to take in account that bulb out warning, along with that it will come with a plug that fits in the passenger side that also have some inline resistors that you just plug into the plug and then ground to the truck and it will remove the passenger side bulb out warning
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2013, 02:08 AM
pilotalex's Avatar
pilotalex pilotalex is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mississauga On
Age: 24
Posts: 56
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Diesel
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black
Rep Power: 0
Rep:52
pilotalex will become famous soon enough
Default

Guys i said this once and ill say it again. You don't need the harness. There are a lot of these hid guys selling kits with harness claiming to bypass the can bus system and their kits works oem. Reality its just a wire with a relay. Then you buy the kit for 200.00, this is all you need a basic hid kit for 50 -100.00 and a set of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-XENON-HI...916f05&vxp=mtr

I have this right now in my Laramie 2013 for lows,highs etc. Also you can get can bus free balast.

I hate wire/ adding a harness when there is no need for it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Asur Asur is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,850
Gender: Male
Vehicle: .
Rep Power: 14
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I will say it again also. Its really up to the user who is installing HID's on his truck whether he or she is willing to buy Ebay products or cheap ebay products and run them on there vehicles without a harness. Its there prerogative to take the chance in blowing the TIPM unit on the truck if something shorts out. I have seen more than one person have it happen and most will not post of there mistake and the cost of repairs on there truck. If your going to buy those products off Ebay again that is your prerogative. My only hick-cup here is that anyone that is reading this should know of the potential possible issue of what they buy and what they install in there trucks, there is no direct protection like fuses on TIPM units in there trucks, you get a ballast short, there is a large probability your TIPM unit will fry. With a Wire harness (these cost like 30$ for good ones) your providing that extra protection on a 1000$ unit replaced at the dealers. Many of the user who are installing these have no clue what there getting into have no experience with these products and are looking for the right information. Even if you buy Crappy ballasts from some dude on ebay, at least install a harness. Inexpensive protection. JMO
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 AM
pilotalex's Avatar
pilotalex pilotalex is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mississauga On
Age: 24
Posts: 56
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Diesel
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black
Rep Power: 0
Rep:52
pilotalex will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
I will say it again also. Its really up to the user who is installing HID's on his truck whether he or she is willing to buy Ebay products or cheap ebay products and run them on there vehicles without a harness. Its there prerogative to take the chance in blowing the TIPM unit on the truck if something shorts out. I have seen more than one person have it happen and most will not post of there mistake and the cost of repairs on there truck. If your going to buy those products off Ebay again that is your prerogative. My only hick-cup here is that anyone that is reading this should know of the potential possible issue of what they buy and what they install in there trucks, there is no direct protection like fuses on TIPM units in there trucks, you get a ballast short, there is a large probability your TIPM unit will fry. With a Wire harness (these cost like 30$ for good ones) your providing that extra protection on a 1000$ unit replaced at the dealers. Many of the user who are installing these have no clue what there getting into have no experience with these products and are looking for the right information. Even if you buy Crappy ballasts from some dude on ebay, at least install a harness. Inexpensive protection. JMO
I will agree with you but, all HID kits that the sellers here sell for the 300 dollar mark are re branded Chinese kits.

Also the really it comes with has load resistors built in the same ones that actually are bought on ebay. They are just molded into the cable. The kits that you buy online any kit for that matter are all made in the same factory in china with different names.

I will snap picture of this so called kit i bought recorded on these forums, and snap a pic of the cheap ebay one. There is nothing different just a sticker on them and one is 200.00 and one is 50.00.

I have been doing lots of reasech on HID planet and have been testing these so called kits on my own vehicles (BMW, SAAB, and Mercedes)

No kit provided the output my FXR projectors with a OEM D2S and Mishimoto ballast (oem Nissan) or have come close.

Moral, as you stated yes anything you usually buy it applies you get what you paid for. Ebay special is a huge risk as you stated but if you look closely at the kit you bought for 200-300 bucks you will realize its the same junk you could have paid 50 bucks for.

As for blowing blasts sensors well in my 4 years working at Saab and now working on heavy diesel trucks for Penske, the only time they blew or melted things was then they went and put in cheap D1s or D2s bulbs in the OEM system. Then it cost a 400.00 ignitor 1000.00 ballast and 200.00 bulb. I never seen to day a cheap hid kit blow up modules.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2013, 10:42 AM
chuck2417 chuck2417 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 264
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 2
Rep:158
chuck2417 has a spectacular aura aboutchuck2417 has a spectacular aura about
Default

So instead of using a separate canbus plug, could one use a canbus ballast instead? I know the relay is designed to power the ballast and avoid any potential problems that could occur if sometching with the ballast goes wrong. So the canbus harness would turn a regular ballast into a canbus ballast? Or does the harness do something else that I'm not aware of?

I appreciate all the help, I'm starting to understand more and more about how the lights and hid work.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Kamanhart's Avatar
Kamanhart Kamanhart is offline
Man Up And Cam Up
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Peoria, Il
Age: 22
Posts: 939
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 3
Rep:999
Kamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to behold
Default

the harness holds an inline fuse as a form of projection to your computer, if you went with a canbus ballast it would just take the need of tying in a resistor to your headlight plug to remove the bulb out light
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2013, 11:12 AM
RC51 RC51 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Quispamsis, NB, Canada
Age: 48
Posts: 212
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep Power: 0
Rep:58
RC51 will become famous soon enough
Default

I have this right now in my Laramie 2013 for lows,highs etc. Also you can get can bus free balast.

I hate wire/ adding a harness when there is no need for it.
Guys i said this once and ill say it again. You don't need the harness. There are a lot of these hid guys selling kits with harness claiming to bypass the can bus system and their kits works oem. Reality its just a wire with a relay. Then you buy the kit for 200.00, this is all you need a basic hid kit for 50 -100.00 and a set of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-XENON-HI...916f05&vxp=mtr

I have this right now in my Laramie 2013 for lows,highs etc. Also you can get can bus free balast.

I hate wire/ adding a harness when there is no need for it.

I have a 2014 Laramie on order and would like to do this mod. When you click on the link provided it states not to use on Dodge. So are you using this setup from this link?

Last edited by RC51; 11-07-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: triple posted copy and paste
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Asur Asur is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,850
Gender: Male
Vehicle: .
Rep Power: 14
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotalex View Post
I will agree with you but, all HID kits that the sellers here sell for the 300 dollar mark are re branded Chinese kits.

Also the really it comes with has load resistors built in the same ones that actually are bought on ebay. They are just molded into the cable. The kits that you buy online any kit for that matter are all made in the same factory in china with different names.

I will snap picture of this so called kit i bought recorded on these forums, and snap a pic of the cheap ebay one. There is nothing different just a sticker on them and one is 200.00 and one is 50.00.

I have been doing lots of reasech on HID planet and have been testing these so called kits on my own vehicles (BMW, SAAB, and Mercedes)

No kit provided the output my FXR projectors with a OEM D2S and Mishimoto ballast (oem Nissan) or have come close.

Moral, as you stated yes anything you usually buy it applies you get what you paid for. Ebay special is a huge risk as you stated but if you look closely at the kit you bought for 200-300 bucks you will realize its the same junk you could have paid 50 bucks for.

As for blowing blasts sensors well in my 4 years working at Saab and now working on heavy diesel trucks for Penske, the only time they blew or melted things was then they went and put in cheap D1s or D2s bulbs in the OEM system. Then it cost a 400.00 ignitor 1000.00 ballast and 200.00 bulb. I never seen to day a cheap hid kit blow up modules.

I am not trying to contradict all sorts of things, all I am saying is do some research and see how many people have fried there TIPM modual on there trucks since the 3rd Gen started using them (Chrysler has a week unit in there vehicles). Google it, you will see the TIPM unit is easily fried by shorts caused by problem HID Units, people with chargers, calibers, rams, etc etc etc. JMO, but after installing HID kits for over 15 years todays vehicles with TIPM units are a week link. Again This is just my opinion, anyone can do whatever they wish, I am just letting people know that this can happen, has happened, and if you google "HID killed my TIPM" you can read up about all the people who posted (most wont post that they screwed up but some do) that they had to replace there TIPM unit on there vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 PM
pilotalex's Avatar
pilotalex pilotalex is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mississauga On
Age: 24
Posts: 56
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Diesel
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black
Rep Power: 0
Rep:52
pilotalex will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
I am not trying to contradict all sorts of things, all I am saying is do some research and see how many people have fried there TIPM modual on there trucks since the 3rd Gen started using them (Chrysler has a week unit in there vehicles). Google it, you will see the TIPM unit is easily fried by shorts caused by problem HID Units, people with chargers, calibers, rams, etc etc etc. JMO, but after installing HID kits for over 15 years todays vehicles with TIPM units are a week link. Again This is just my opinion, anyone can do whatever they wish, I am just letting people know that this can happen, has happened, and if you google "HID killed my TIPM" you can read up about all the people who posted (most wont post that they screwed up but some do) that they had to replace there TIPM unit on there vehicle.
Fair enough,

As to anyone asking yes if you get a CAN-BUS FREE hid kit then you wont need that canceler or harness for that matter. In the 2014 get a canbus free HID kit and it will be plug and play
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 PM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum