DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of
Default Bed lighting project (with a twist)

OK folks. I'm up to my old tricks again. I'm trying to start up a new bed lighting project, but one that is slightly different than the norm around here.

I have an ARE LS II hard tonneau cover on my truck, as a result the bed is more of a funny looking trunk than it is a true bed. When I had the cover installed, they "threw in" the battery powered light pictured below. The problem is that it's a cheap light, and it doesn't work more often than it does, and it's difficult to turn on, as I'm not the tallest person around, and when the cover is open and I'm standing on the ground there is not way in hell I can reach it.

Here is a better close up of the current light.

OK here is my plan, but I'm not sure how many of what size lights that I need to go with.

I want to install what amounts to a dome light in place of the current light. The obvious (and no brainer) choice is to go with LEDs. I've found some "replacement" LED dome lights that I like, for a fairly decent price at Oznium.

I'm thinking about going with their large 5mm rigid LED dome light kit. My thoughts are to mount them on some sort of rectangular platform (of sorts) where I can wire everything together, then mount the "platform" and go from there.

I'm going to be tying it into the dome light circuit inside the truck, so that everything will work together.

I guess my question is, should I go with 1 or 2? By the looks of it, 1 will put out plenty of light, but if I'm going to do it I figure what's the harm in going overkill?

Let me have some opinions here. I haven't ordered anything, but I'm wanting to do this fairly quickly.

Any and all opinions appreciated and encouraged

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

maybe something like this would be easier? this way you wouldnt have to splice into any wires or anything. if you do decide to splice into some wires you could prob splice into the tail lights. only thing is you would have to have the tail lights on in order to light up the bed but at the same time the only time you would use lights in the bed is at night time where your tail/head lights would prob be on any way.

http://www.autoaccessorize.com/truxe...Feh0Qgod7QsA3A

http://www.carid.com/universal-led-l...FQZyQgod5A4AFw
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 11-01-2013, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

or maybe something like this on the tonneau cover? there would be no wires, and it would turn on when it sensed the motion of you lifting the cover.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CJMBEPMCMAI
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 11-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Man Up And Cam Up

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1010
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

I dont recall who but someone once stated that overkill is certainly underrated that being said i have been in very few instances that i have had an over abundance of light, as for a switch have you thought about using a pluger style switch that would use the cover as the switch to turn the light on and off when it is raised up, just an idea
Old 11-01-2013, 03:54 PM

Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

thanks for the replies!

Brondon, thanks for the suggestion, and I've thought about something similar, but I'm wanting to get away from batteries. I may go several weeks without even opening the cover at night, so by the time I need to use it, the batteries are often dead.

That's one of the issues that I'm looking to avoid. I also live in Louisiana, so the humidity is brutal on the best of days, and I've noticed that what ever batteries I install tend to corrode very quickly, this simply adds to the issue.

Kam, yes I've thought about the plunger style of switch, and it's simply too involved to make it work properly. I don't want to deal with the alignment issues of the plunger, etc. In the past I've had similar projects that used a plunger style switch, and frankly they're simply more trouble than they're worth.

By tying into the dome light circuit I only have to run 1 wire to the front of the truck, and I've also tapped into the same circuit for my accent interior lighting, so it won't be much of a problem to do it again.

I'm leaning towards two of the "dome lights" as of now, but I may still change my mind before I placed the order. Like has been said "overkill is underrated" LOL

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1464
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Overkill is extremely underrated! Take it from a girl who loves her lights.. install two. Hell, if it were me, I'd install four.. one in each corner! LOL!

Great idea you've got going.. keep us posted on how it comes!
Old 11-02-2013, 02:17 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

My first question would be (if you hard wired it), would you ever be taking your tonneau cover off?

If so, that leaves you with the wire issue to deal with?

Now if you make it with a quick connect at the junction point, then it may not be so bad?

How about getting a linear LED bar and mounting it to the head of the bed (not the tailgate end), and running a wire and switch to the cab of the truck.

You could then attach it to the battery with a relay that would allow you to turn the switch on and off as you need it?

I'm not a wiring guy so don't ask me the logistics of it, but I'm sure there are some pretty smart people (maybe even yourself) that could figure this out?
Old 11-02-2013, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning more towards the 2 dome lights.

Kai, I like your thinking, LOL. Putting one in each corner would be a wiring nightmare though. I think I'll stick to just where I need it. I have used similar lights in the past in a previous vehicle, though I only used one, and I had lots of people complain that it was too bright (it was at the rear hatch of a PT Cruiser pretty much at eye level for someone around 5'7")

Red, no I don't intend to remove the tonneau cover at all. The damn thing is extremely heavy, and I think removing it would be more trouble than it's worth. If I need to haul anything I'll just hook up my trailer. I've thought about getting a strip of LEDs (I think you're calling them the linear bar) and doing something similar, but I think the light output will give me more bang for my buck by going with a dome light style, and doing it from the "over head".

I'm wanting to tie into my dome light because I will be able to light everything up with just a click of my fob. I frequently will put my luggage and such after work in the back. I don't want to have to open the door, then return to the bed, load everything up and THEN go to the cab to turn off the lights. Call me lazy, but it is what it is.

Exco
Bill
Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

No that makes perfect sense then if you have no intentions of taking the cover off.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually done this. My Leer 700 came with that cheap POS battery light just like yours. What I did was convert it to a wired light and tapped into the cargo light circuit with a relay. I also have a quick disconnect in case I ever want to remove my cover. My under rail LEDs are tied into the same circuit. Here's my thread. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=82115