DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-31-2013, 01:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
Kris319 is on a distinguished road
Default Am I going to set my truck on fire? (wiring question)

I'm looking to do this hood scoop led mod. The Hid kit I'm using on my fogs does not utilize the passenger side oem plug so I was hoping I could use it to power this led disaster. Below is a diagram (be gentle I did it on my tablet) of the wiring I have in mind.
My questions are:
  1. Is this possible/safe?
  2. What gauge wire should I use?
  3. Is there anything else I need/should use like a relay?

Last edited by Kris319; 10-31-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see your wiring diagram its too small but LED's take very little current, all you need to do is setup your LED project and test it on your battery direct, this will make sure its not shorting against or with anything. Once you know your kit is working well, then you can wire it up to the plug, a standard Halogen bulb will pull around 4.5 - 5 amps, your LED's will never amount to that unless your putting in like 16 Cree super bright LED's. So no worries about plugging it into you passenger side plug.

I will tell you this, if you mess up and you short out that plug, there is a huge chance you will short out your TIPM unit, todays trucks do not have fuses for the front lights, so be careful, I would do it myself this way but you could also run it to a switch in the dash off the battery if you feel more safe. JMO

If your doing the 24 LED project in the fake vent mod, your going to be drawing about 1 amp per side, I would link those up to my parking lights, then you can have them on with only your park lights, would look nice, JMO

Last edited by Asur; 10-31-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

The diagram becomes larger if you click it but I'll just make it full size so I don't confuse anyone.

Thanks for the info. It is going to end up being 50 standard led bulbs, I'm not sure what the power draw will be.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Man Up And Cam Up

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1010
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Idk how it is down in Florida but in Illinois having lights in a scoop when driving down the road is illegal.. my bad got ticketed for having a white rope light behind his grille, so that would be the only down side to having them in the fog lights is if Florida law prohibits it, as for the diagram yes it should work just make sure you connect to the correct pins in your plug so you are not back feeding. i would also consider putting in an inline fuse between your adapter plug and your leds
Old 10-31-2013, 09:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamanhart View Post
Idk how it is down in Florida but in Illinois having lights in a scoop when driving down the road is illegal.. my bad got ticketed for having a white rope light behind his grille, so that would be the only down side to having them in the fog lights is if Florida law prohibits it, as for the diagram yes it should work just make sure you connect to the correct pins in your plug so you are not back feeding. i would also consider putting in an inline fuse between your adapter plug and your leds
My father is a police officer, I just asked him this morning to look into it for me. He wasn't 100% sure if it would be illegal but he believed it most likely is.

Any suggestions on how many amps the fuse should be?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is why I would install them on a switch to the dash so you can turn them off, as for current, both sides 50 LED's will draw maybe 2 amps
Old 10-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Man Up And Cam Up

Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris319 View Post
My father is a police officer, I just asked him this morning to look into it for me. He wasn't 100% sure if it would be illegal but he believed it most likely is.

Any suggestions on how many amps the fuse should be?
well damn that is handy and as for the fuse what i would do is like asur said mock up the wiring for it and connect it to the battery first and when you connect it if you have a circuit tester put it inline with the hot side and check your amp usage they will tell you closely about how many amps you will run constantly from there it will be what factory of safety you wish to have but i would stick pretty close to the number you get off the reading so you dont take a chance of shorting out your computer
Old 10-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Man Up And Cam Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
This is why I would install them on a switch to the dash so you can turn them off, as for current, both sides 50 LED's will draw maybe 2 amps
i agree, i have all my aux lights separately switched for this reason but i cant hate on a kid for wanting to do his own thing ya kno
Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
i agree, i have all my aux lights separately switched for this reason but i cant hate on a kid for wanting to do his own thing ya kno
This is why I love forums

Thanks to the input, I'll more than likely wire it to a switch and run it through the firewall.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Man Up And Cam Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris319 View Post
This is why I love forums

Thanks to the input, I'll more than likely wire it to a switch and run it through the firewall.
absolutely man i def wanna see some pictures of it when you get it done it should look pretty sweet with that many leds