DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: laramie SLT
Color: Burg
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:42
Hitsy is on a distinguished road
Default Front axle hubs

my hubs arnt locking:/, my 4x4 is engaging but my hubs arnt locking, would it be wise to tear it down, and regrease the hub assembly? if so like..any advice on that? :/, before I go ahead and spend 400 bucks on new assemblies, id like to take a look, but same time, its my only truck so cant be off the road long, ik its gunna take a day or so, just to regrease it up, for both, which I can do on a off day, but think itll be wise :/
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Are your hubs manual or automatic? If automatic check the vacume activation line and make sure it has no leaks.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

its automatic, and I have, the vacuum is all good
Old 10-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitsy View Post
its automatic, and I have, the vacuum is all good
So it actually has vacuum and there are no leaks? Then make sure the fork is moving. if you can put it on a lift and put it in 4wd. Look and see if the fron ujoints are turning. If they are the wheel should be turning, if the wheel is not turning then your hubs are bad. If neither your wheels or the axle shafts (witnessed by the ujoints) are turning then something else is wrong.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I know it does engage and the shaft locks up, my wheels are able to turn, I just replaced my front u joint because those were bad, im hoping its just needed to be cleans, cause I was a dumbass when I got it, and went 2x4 in a mud patch, and idk maybe it could have gotten some in, it was right after I replaced the ujoints, just multiple reasons, still hoping its just dirty, because the hubs are abit old, don't wanan replace those unless that's the cause :/, ill look at them in a min have me and my dad look at it, to be sure, Thanks!!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitsy View Post
I know it does engage and the shaft locks up, my wheels are able to turn, I just replaced my front u joint because those were bad, im hoping its just needed to be cleans, cause I was a dumbass when I got it, and went 2x4 in a mud patch, and idk maybe it could have gotten some in, it was right after I replaced the ujoints, just multiple reasons, still hoping its just dirty, because the hubs are abit old, don't wanan replace those unless that's the cause :/, ill look at them in a min have me and my dad look at it, to be sure, Thanks!!
Sounds like one of three issues to me. Your unit bearings (automatic hubs) are indeed packed with mud, you over tightened the spindle nut when reinstalling everything after replacing the ujoints or your front output shaft at the transfer case is stripped.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Ram ORE 4x4 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Rep:55
Wh1t3nukle will become famous soon enough

^What? Unit bearings and Spindle do not go in the same sentence!

Hitsy, do you have a pair of jackstands? If so, then put the front axle up. Block the rear tires. Start the truck. Spin both front tires by hand. They should spin independently AND the front DS should not be spinning.

Next, put tranny in Neutral.

Shift to 4LO. Spin both tires again. Spinning one should make the other spin in reverse and of course the front DS will be spinning.

Report back....

Last edited by Wh1t3nukle; 11-04-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: 4LO not 4Hi
Old 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1t3nukle View Post
^What? Unit bearings and Spindle do not go in the same sentence!

Hitsy, do you have a pair of jackstands? If so, then put the front axle up. Block the rear tires. Start the truck. Spin both front tires by hand. They should spin independently AND the front DS should not be spinning.

Next, put tranny in Neutral.

Shift to 4Hi. Spin both tires again. Spinning one should make the other spin in reverse and of course the front DS will be spinning.

Report back....
That would accomplish nothing as the back tires would still be locked. Over tightening the half shaft nut (you are right, not the spindle nut) can cause the enough deformation to lock up a set of unit bearings.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Ram ORE 4x4 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Rep:55
Wh1t3nukle will become famous soon enough

There is no spindle for these unit bearings. There is no spindle nut. It's called the axle hub nut. We don't want to confuse the person on terminology.

My test accomplishes determining that the Vacuum and the CAD work in 2wd and 4wd. It doesn't need the rear, b/c the tranny is in Neutral.

The test tells you that 2wd is working b/c vacuum is needed for 2wd. This can help tell you if there is a physical problem at intermediate shaft location (CAD) like full or partial engagement of the shift fork.

This test will help you know if your unit bearings do actually spin freely or if they are overtightened (which could be possible since IIRC the torque is 130 ft-lbs) or is still yet something else. I think we'd agree that it shouldn't be difficult to clear out any mud.

Things may change again when weight is put down that will need more attention. All we know is he feels the vacuum works...
Old 11-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1t3nukle View Post
There is no spindle for these unit bearings. There is no spindle nut. It's called the axle hub nut. We don't want to confuse the person on terminology.

I corrected that statement, you are right, bad terminology on my part.

My test accomplishes determining that the Vacuum and the CAD work in 2wd and 4wd. It doesn't need the rear, b/c the tranny is in Neutral.

The test tells you that 2wd is working b/c vacuum is needed for 2wd. This can help tell you if there is a physical problem at intermediate shaft location (CAD) like full or partial engagement of the shift fork.

Backwards, vacuum is needed for 4wd, hence if the line is bad/torn/cracked it will not engage.

This test will help you know if your unit bearings do actually spin freely or if they are overtightened (which could be possible since IIRC the torque is 130 ft-lbs) or is still yet something else. I think we'd agree that it shouldn't be difficult to clear out any mud.

Torque veries by model, but standard has been 85-125ft/lbs for awhile, OP should consult a manual for his specific truck. Sadley mud in the unit bearings is very hard to clean out and shows the seals are bad and the unit bearing must be replaced.

Things may change again when weight is put down that will need more attention. All we know is he feels the vacuum works...
Again, the transmission is before the transfer case. The rear tires on the ground will prevent this test from working, all four wheels would have to be up. The Transfer case provides a direct linkage between the front and rear driveshafts in 4wd, no fluid coupling to allow for slippage.