DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1989 Holden Astra
Color: White
Rep:25
SilverFire is on a distinguished road
Default Outfitting for work

Hey everyone!

Long time no see. I've move all the way to Australia, and am setting up a contract with the rail company (the people that have reviewed it so far like it).

Basically, I will be removing old rail lines that have been decommissioned.

I will also be doing on-call work to go and get people that have gotten their vehicles stuck when of-roading, and working with the local police to do high-risk rescue work. (Floods, landslides, responses where they normally can't get to, things like that)

I have a good idea of what I want to do to set the truck(s) up how I want, though I'd love suggestions on some of the equipment.

The truck(s) will be 2014 3500 Mega Cab Duallys with the Aisin transmission package. I am undecided as to the final gear ratio on the rear end. I am leaning towards a 4.10 since I will be doing extreme load hauling with the truck, and am not too concerned about fuel economy. They will be taken to a shop in Salt Lake City for conversion to long beds, as well as the rest of the work.

So, here's the list:

Front bumper replacement with winch and receiver mount, something like this: https://www.builtfortrucks.com/ranch...k-winch-ready/

Rear bumper with winch (if I can find one of course)

Full skid plating.

Snorkel intake system and cabin seal.

100+gal extended fuel tank

Suspension lift (I'm thinking four inches, with a much heavier system, if I can find something. Not having much luck honestly)

Two inch body lift

Fifth wheel hitch with airbag helpers on the rear to balance and level the load. (Doesn't make sense to build a truck for hauling and not go for the max)

Replace the stock wheels and tires. I am unsure of the size to go for, though I do know I'm going to be getting BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO tires. They're a great on/off road tire, and have served me well on previous trucks. (I am open to suggestions though.)

I have done this before, though it was with a SRW truck at first, and I found the dually made things a lot easier.

Basically, I will be driving down the rail line with the truck and trailer straddling it, and pulling up the rails and sleepers behind the truck, and winching them up onto the trailer. So, I need lots of traction to drag the trailer along over the rail lines. (The trailer will be big, triple or quad axle and large enough to put two trucks on, or some medium-sized equipment if needed.)

So, like I said. Any advice on particular equipment would be great, or if you think I should go for a different lift level, or anything really. I want to set this up the right way the first time, since getting aftermarket equipment down here is prohibitively expensive. I'd rather do it all at once while doing the long bed conversion before shipping the trucks down here.

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Shitcan all the smog crap, or buy an older Ram with the 5.9. Maybe something like an Air Dog (Something for boostapump and better fuel filtering. MagHytec differential covers for added cooling/ capacity. Don't know much about a snorkel, but a damned good air filtering system. Possibly an upgraded clutch. Some sort of air bag assist for the rear. If Dodge rates the new 3500 to tow 30,000 lbs, you can probably double that. I have a friend that tows a 26,000 lb livestock trailer with a 2500 4x4 hemi ! I've actually towed 8,000 lbs behind my hemi Dodge Magnum station wagon!! No trailer brakes.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM

I can't eliminate the emissions equipment here in Australia, and the cost for importing an older model is prohibitive when compared to a new truck because of the emissions regulations.

The snorkel system is a common thing in my area, since there's a lot of rain to deal with, especially in winter, and we're surrounded by some large hills.

I'll be running the Aisin automatic, so I won't have a clutch.

I will admit, most of the work the truck is going to see will be crawling along the tracks with the trailer, and then hauling the load back home for scrapping and whatnot, or transporting machinery along the road.

Do the 2014's have clutch driven fans, or electric?
Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: Tan Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
Jolley is on a distinguished road

As far as tires I would recommend some Mud grapplers since you are gonna need as much traction as you can get as long as they cost and noise doesnt bother you. Which to me they arent too loud. I actually like the roaring
Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I like the long bed conversions

http://www.longbedmytruck.com/
http://www.longbedmytruck.com/?p=419

what they do

towing ability OEM Ram 3500

titan fuel tank

hitch receiver winch & mounting plate
http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-s...ti_mount.shtml
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 10-28-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley View Post
As far as tires I would recommend some Mud grapplers since you are gonna need as much traction as you can get as long as they cost and noise doesnt bother you. Which to me they arent too loud. I actually like the roaring
I have thought of a mud tire, though I think I will try out the All-Terrain TA/KO tires. They did amazingly on my 05 Ram 1500. It was RWD without a locker, and could still out-drive my cousin's 4x4 F-250 with mud tires on it.

I'll probably keep a set of mud tires on standby, for when I have to go into an area that will require them.

Actually, that does bring up a good question. Can I set sensors in another set of rims to work with the TPMS, or in the stock rims only?

@GTYankee: I'm going to be putting ain in-bed tank in. I don't think a larger under body tank is a great idea for a vehicle that's going to spend a majority of it's service life off-road. Also, the site you linked to, longbedmytruck.com, is the site of the company I am taking the truck to. They do great work, and can do everything else I want in-house. I'm a big fan of getting things done in one place when possible.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: TANK
Color: Gloss Black Bedliner
Rep:159
aparini has a spectacular aura aboutaparini has a spectacular aura about

yes... you can, i put new rims and tires on my truck ( came with tpms) did nothing besides install them. no codes popped or anything. you will be fine.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

^ that is exactly the same with my new tires and rims.

The truck is gonna look awesome and be a beast.. Any chance your hiring
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 10-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I also changed my wheels & tires & had new TPMS installed, after the installation of everything on the truck, the tire tech then used a hand held device to program the new TPMS to my Ram

I also have a in bed tank & 3 plastic 6 gallon Jerry Cans, when everything is full, i have 82 gallons of fuel on board

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-29-2013, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

RR spikes reek havoc with tires...make sure U have lots of full size spares available!