DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie
Rep:10
Kippy is on a distinguished road
Default Fog Light Upgrade

I was thinking of trying some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras for my fog lights on my 2013 Laramie. I've read they don't last all that long. Anyone know anything about that or if there is another brand that is better? Just trying to get a little brighter light out of the fogs. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I think most people will tell you if you're looking for the best source of light, then HID is the way to go. Having said that, if you're looking to simply do a bulb upgrade then the Silver Star's are not a bad route to go.

I've got a set in my low beams, and although the light output is not ideal, it's a lot better than that of the standard bulbs. When I have the need to replace the fog lamp bulbs, I'll probably go with the Silverstars, as they do have a bit more output than the standards.

I believe that Recon has some sort of upgraded bulb as well. I'm sure if you did a search either here at the Z or even on Google, you'd get lots of results.

Good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-28-2013, 04:19 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
I was thinking of trying some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras for my fog lights on my 2013 Laramie. I've read they don't last all that long. Anyone know anything about that or if there is another brand that is better? Just trying to get a little brighter light out of the fogs. Thanks
You are only changing the color output of the light using Sylvania Silverstar Ultras.

If you want more light you need to install HID lamps (35 watt). The wattage of the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras is 55 watt. The OEM 9600 bulb is 55 watts. If you read the fine print of the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras it is a different output color (Kelvin).

Save your money and get a good set of HID fog lights.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie
Kippy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
You are only changing the color output of the light using Sylvania Silverstar Ultras.

If you want more light you need to install HID lamps (35 watt). The wattage of the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras is 55 watt. The OEM 9600 bulb is 55 watts. If you read the fine print of the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras it is a different output color (Kelvin).

What all is involved with hooking up HIDs? I really don't know too much about them. I've seen stuff about upgrading a wiring harness?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:159
CaptDuff has a spectacular aura aboutCaptDuff has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
x2 on that.

I tried putting in some Silverstars on my lows, could barely tell a difference. So went the HID route on fogs and lows, and the difference was night and day.

I got a set of Maxlux 35w for the lows and fogs, simple plug and play install, no harness needed, no flickering or bulb out. A little aiming after install and I am way happy now.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

I agree with what everyone else is reporting but I have the 'other side of the road' viewpoint than the others..

I didn't want to deal with HID upgrades so I simply replaced my stock bulbs with Silverstar Ultras.. low, high and fog. I have had no problems with them, having conducted the replacement this past April.

Now, I have to disagree that upgrading to the SS Ultras will only change the color output of the beam. I experienced the color change, yes, but I also have increased brightness as well (when compared to the stock bulbs).

So, it is up to you which you would prefer. I've heard about and seen pics of the output difference for HIDs and although they are impressive, I am pleased with my SS Ultras and the simplicity of the upgrade.

Personal preference is what it all boils down to. And, of course, the reach of your wallet.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:04 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDuff View Post
x2 on that.

I tried putting in some Silverstars on my lows, could barely tell a difference. So went the HID route on fogs and lows, and the difference was night and day.

I got a set of Maxlux 35w for the lows and fogs, simple plug and play install, no harness needed, no flickering or bulb out. A little aiming after install and I am way happy now.
My apologies for the hijack...

Capt, are you saying you bought HID bulbs for your lows and fogs that were simple plug and play with no other needed apparatuses? If so, would you mind terribly sharing a link to where you purchased from so I may investigate? The cost and the involvement of HIDs are the main reason I have not gone that route. But if there is a plug and play option available, then I may be interested.. if nothing more to learn about the option. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:159
CaptDuff has a spectacular aura aboutCaptDuff has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1OTE View Post
My apologies for the hijack...

Capt, are you saying you bought HID bulbs for your lows and fogs that were simple plug and play with no other needed apparatuses? If so, would you mind terribly sharing a link to where you purchased from so I may investigate? The cost and the involvement of HIDs are the main reason I have not gone that route. But if there is a plug and play option available, then I may be interested.. if nothing more to learn about the option. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product for the vertical fogs I have

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product for the quad lows

Obviously you will need different bulbs if you got the dual headlights and horizontal fogs, but they should all be on amazon.

You can go to their online store https://sites.google.com/site/maxluxusa/ and save $10 a set but I figured I would go with amazon first in case something went wrong.

Install was pretty much follow the other threads here on the forum minus the steps for a relay/harness and finding a spot to mount the ballast.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: deep red
jatto1229 is on a distinguished road

Nice, I like it
Old 10-29-2013, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

HID lights are a fairly easy install with a good install kit. Mount the ballasts and run the wires. I would use a kit that has a wiring harness to take the strain off the OEM factory wiring do to the start-up power that is needed for the ballasts. I would not get a kit with CANBUS ballasts as they draw to much power from the factory wiring through the TIPM module and not directly from the battery.

I have installed both HID kits for the fog lights and the low beam headlights. The wiring (wiring harness) is almost all plug & play except for the connections to the fuse block (positive wire) and the (negative) ground wire.

If you can change the fog & headlight bulbs you can install HID lights. A lot of information on how to install and which kits that will work best for your model year on this forum. Just stay away from the cheep EBay kits.

Greg

Last edited by gcscott; 10-29-2013 at 12:35 PM.