DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of
Default My HID Reverse Light Install

2013 Ram with HID Reverse Lights Installed.

Here is my install:

First I tried:

I tested the lights with my 12v power supply and they fired up. Went out to the truck and Installed one side to see what I get and the HID light flashed 3 times, stopped, flashed 3 more times, than got nothing.

I put in the OEM bulb and got nothing, no power in the circuit. Turned off the engine and than restarted. OEM bulb relight. Not enough power to fire the HID ballast.

My next attempt will be trying to use power from the 7 pin trailer plug wiring where I have my light bar wired into the reverse light.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, HID reverse lights are now installed and working.

I hooked up the HID ballasts to the 7 pin trailer hitch wiring (trailer plug wiring behind bumper) where my IPCW LED Tailgate Light Bar is wired in. The standard backup wire in the tail light was not used. I taped into the reverse wire for the light bar. The HID ballasts fired right up. I now have enough power and no hyper-flashing.

I mounted the ballasts to the back inside where the tail lamp goes using a tie wrap and connected the wires with crimp connectors and dielectric grease. (not plug & play). I cut the end off the BA15S power wire and used it to get the power to the ballast. I wrapped the OEM light socket (light bulb removed) in plastic and electrical tape so if I ever need to change it back to the original setup.

Put everything back together and checked the EVIC to see if I had a bulb out warning. No warning, great. Job done.

First picture is with the drivers side 15 watt HID bulb installed. Passenger side is 12 watt OEM incandescent bulb.

Second picture is with both HID bulbs installed. The color of both HID bulbs (6000k) matches the color of my IPCW LED Tailgate Light Bar. The HID bulbs seam to be 2X as bright as the 12 watt reverse bulb.

HID reverse light kit ordered (6000k color bulb) http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HID-R...761205345.html Shipping took 30 days.
I used the T-10 Sheath and the BA15S wire with the brass end cut off. The instructions for the kit were good and easy to follow.

The lights work great at night, really light up the night view on my back-up camera.

Any questions just ask.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01010096_zpsf97c8fe6.jpg (61.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 01010101_zpse502187a.jpg (57.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by gcscott; 10-23-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Dark Red Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:201
audio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura about

This is REALLY tempting, but not sure how much brighter they'd be than my 5W CREE LED lights which are already far better than stock, were plug and play for about the same price?
Anyone (with actual head to head experience)?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
pinoystylez is on a distinguished road

great write up and thanks for the help! ive been looking at a kit on ebay.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4
Color: silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
turbo dragon is on a distinguished road

Nice, I may have to try this as where I live there is no lights at night to back out the drive way
Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo dragon View Post
Nice, I may have to try this as where I live there is no lights at night to back out the drive way

Having a 2011 you should be like me, able to just plug them up with the wires that come with the kit to put in the bulb socket. I love my HID revers lights.