DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dode Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Himarker is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring into high beam

Hello,

I just hooked up a set of light force 240's and used a KC wiring harness kit. The kit came with a warning regarding using the high beams to trigger your lights to come on with the year 2000 or newer models. I have been reading that it can cause some problems sometimes. Does anyone know if this would be a problem for a 2012 Ram? I also don't want to void the warranty in any way but I would prefer they lights go on and off with the high beams.

Thanks,
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2013, 06:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I would think so long as you used a relay of some sort you won't have too much of a problem. The relay will help reduce the load on the circuit. Dependent upon what lights you have, they can really put a strain on the system.

I'm speaking only from the electrical side of things. I doubt that I know very much more than you do when it comes to the computer that controls all of that crap....

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Tap the trigger wire from your 240's Relay to the (+) of your High beam bulb, the relay load will not affect anything and your 240's will turn on when your high beams are triggered.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dode Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Pearlcoat
Rep:10
Himarker is on a distinguished road

Thanks, My plan was to hook the trigger wire into the high beams which should be very little load, just a little nervous about all the computers on theses newer vehicles. The kit did come with a relay and inline fuses.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black Gold
Rep:177
Whiplash has a spectacular aura aboutWhiplash has a spectacular aura about

ya, i'd fuse the trigger wire....can never be too safe
Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
ya, i'd fuse the trigger wire....can never be too safe
You don't need to use a fuse for the trigger wire, it is fused from the high beam + side already. Keep it simple.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:35 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black Gold
Rep:177
Whiplash has a spectacular aura aboutWhiplash has a spectacular aura about

maybe it's just me....i opt to use as many safeguards as possible
anything ever goes for a shyt at the relay there's a good chance my oem wiring is left untouched
Old 10-18-2013, 05:52 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:123
1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough

personally I'd run my own wire setup to the battery and add a switch in the cab to avoid any warranty hastle. But I'm also very simple minded and don't know enough about these new trucks...every day on this forum is a new learning experience

MODS in profile
Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
maybe it's just me....i opt to use as many safeguards as possible
anything ever goes for a shyt at the relay there's a good chance my oem wiring is left untouched
If you are really troubled with wiring relays / fuses:

If I tie directly into the light wiring circuit on the truck using a relay I add a diode. It stops the feedback through the trigger wire.

Note: The relay circuit has its own power fuse from the battery through the relay and then to the accessory.

Quenching Diodes:
Anytime that a relay coil is driven by a circuit that is not specifically designed to drive a relay, you should use a quenching/suppression diode connected in parallel with the relay coil. The picture below will show the connection of the diode. Initially, you may think the diode serves no purpose because the voltage applied to the relay cannot pass through the diode. This is true when the relay is energized. The diode comes into play when the power source is removed from the relay coil. When power is applied to the relay coil, a magnetic field is created and energy is stored in the coil. When power is removed, the magnetic field collapses causing a reverse voltage to be generated (it's called inductive kickback or back EMF). The back EMF can easily reach 200 volts. The diode will absorb the reverse voltage spike. This voltage, if not absorbed by the diode, will cause premature failure of switch contacts and may cause the failure of power switching transistors. You can use virtually any type of rectifier or switching diode (i.e. 1N4001, 1N4002, 1N400x... or Radio Shack part #s 276-1101, 276-1102, 276-1103, 276-1104).

The diode from Radio Shack 1N4001 (part #s 276-1101) is what I use.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5297b.jpg (85.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by gcscott; 10-18-2013 at 10:02 AM.