DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Midnight Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:120
nopaydave will become famous soon enoughnopaydave will become famous soon enough
Default Another Tow report

I thought I pushed it too far this time...
My wife talked me into upgrading from my 26' (29'3" 0verall) Koala, which pulled fine with my Hemi 4X4 Outdoorsman with 3.92. to a 32' (36'11" Overall) Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 320BHDS.

I had mixed reports on how it's going to pull and if my new Airlift 1000's would even hold the weight. Well, I picked it up this weekend and it seems to tow just fine with no real squat from the 800 lb. + tongue weight and the 8,000 lb. + tow weight. I will be taking it to the coast (no real hills to climb) in a couple of weeks and leaving it down there (no need to wear out the truck). I will let you know how she pulls on the long haul but so far I am pleasantly surprised in how well she tows.

So.....Why do they call you Nopaydave anyway?

Buy me a beer and I'll tell you....

2012 Outdoorsman, 4X4 Hemi, Rambox and Loaded with lots of extras.
Sponsored links
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing. You did not indicate the weight (GVWR) of your first trailer which would be helpful to know, length means little. With your new trailer, is the 8K weight you mentioned dry or GVWR?
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Midnight Blue
Rep:120
nopaydave will become famous soon enoughnopaydave will become famous soon enough

That is Dry weight on the Coachman but I still need to scale it out now that I have loaded it (Will do that on the way to the coast). Dry weight on the Koala was about 5,000 lbs.
I will post more info when I get her out on the road.

So.....Why do they call you Nopaydave anyway?

Buy me a beer and I'll tell you....

2012 Outdoorsman, 4X4 Hemi, Rambox and Loaded with lots of extras.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like you may be pushing it, if not over capacity with the new trailer. I am guessing with the 3:92 gearing your trucks tow capacity is rated for somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,400, maybe more, maybe less. When you load up the trailer for travel, you could easily add 1500 pounds and 2K plus would not be out of the question. Then you need to factor in any passengers and gear you may be carrying in the truck, because that figure will reduce your tow capacity. This is why reporting dry weights is meaningless. Hoping my assumptions on your trucks tow capacity is more in your favor. In any case, good luck and let us know how it goes for you.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:30 AM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White
Rep:24
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

Dry weight 7700 lb Camper travel trailer with w.d. bars. Truck has air suspension, 3.92 gear, 8 speed 5.7 V-8. The trailer with all gear weight is near 8800 lbs. On board water tanks empty in Tow always. Tow rate is 10150 lbs. usually have two people in truck. The truck handles and pulls very well short or longer distance. Pulls hills very well. On open road pull about 55 to 60 mph. No sway and truck never works hard at all. Transmission temp. stays about 160. MPG in tow about 12.5 to 13.5 average. I could tow faster but never do. 55 or 60 is fine with the weight in tow and easy on the Truck. I have the fold our tow mirrors which work great. The factory trailer brake control is set to 5 and never have to adjust it at all. The motor break control on the truck is EXCELLENT on the 8 speed.I could not be any happier with this set up after having 2011 5.7 with 3.92 gear on same camper and had 2003 5.7 with 3.92 gear 5 speed.

All Laramie's with tow packages loaded with max. available on each year of trucks. Camper is a 2006 and has been pulled by all three trucks. The * 8 speed 3.92 is by far the best ever yet and could pull way over the 10150 with ease. But will not over load my set up for legal and practical issues.

The air suspension and the 8 speed make this truck pull so much better its almost a totally different pull with camper when it comes to control and "leaning" by the camper. On many pulls with other two trucks following the exact same routes to 5 different camp grounds some drawers and objects would be tossed around in the camper upon arrival. Not so with Truck, there has been no drawers or any objects moved at all upon arrival. I really cannot suggest any thing more the truck needs for camping and towing. Its just a really nice set up.Not sure how a fifth wheel would pull in same weight range as the Travel trailer since I have never pulled one in all the years of camping.

I could add maybe one thing that would be great with this truck and cannot understand why Chrysler cannot get it if I was to add an addition to what could be better.

1.The Tow mirrors should be power fold in non-tow mode.

2. The Steering wheel on the Truck should be full power tilt/telescopic function.

***Notes***

Long Pull for us is 60 to 90 miles One way.
Short Pulls is about 18 to 28 miles one way.

Last edited by ramit355; 10-17-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GVWR of the trailer is the key weight and would include the weight of the tanks full which is the likely scenario when travelling and is significant as water weighs in the neighborhood of 8+ pounds per gallon. I agree with you on power folding tow mirrors, that would be nice and I would have the OEM mirrors if they came that way.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White
Rep:24
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

Been camping for many years....Never haul a Trailer full of Water but I see some that do. Hard on the trailer and pulling 800 lbs for nothing cost more fuel as well. Of course the other tanks are empty until you set camper up and run the water threw for waste and gray water. Most often if water is at campsite or campgrounds you never load the tanks at all and empty when you leave at a dump Station. If your on a hunting trip in the woods you wound need to fill water tank before you leave. 100 gallons of water is most full tanks...would be an extra 800Lbs. The 100 gallons of water would go to waste & gray water tanks after using the fresh water still being 800 lbs max. Some Fifth wheels have 200 gallon water tanks and that would be about 1600 lbs extra if Filling tank in transit. Most Campers Pull with water tank empty. I always empty the gray water and waste tanks when leaving to include excess fresh water if any is left.

RV's is about the only ones who have fresh water tank full and in use while in transit.

Last edited by ramit355; 10-18-2013 at 04:44 PM.