DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Crew
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Greystone
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Rogerwa is on a distinguished road
Default Two Questions about LED Lighting

I ordered a number of replacement LED bulbs for inside and a few outside locations. For the inside bulbs, do they fade out like the current incandescent bulbs? I followed the well documented recommendations on this site, but was wondering if the fade remains.

Second, I do not have Ramboxes but wonder if the deadend part of the harness is there. I am looking at connection points for bed lighting and the rambox connections are fused power that could be just hanging there. If it is not there I will tap into the trailer wiring but just curious if anyone has seen the deadends on the rear harness.
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about the harness for the Ram boxes, but in my 05, the LED lights still dim out just like the OEM lights.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:15 AM

Good.. They arrive tomorrow and can't wait to put them in.. I'm guessing the harness dead end is not there, but you never know.. Hopefully someone may have been under there and would know..
Old 10-07-2013, 12:19 AM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

There are a ton, and I mean a ton of threads on here about under rail bed lighting. Here is a good one, IMO.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4x4 QC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Stone White
Rep:181
dvarn has a spectacular aura aboutdvarn has a spectacular aura about

They fade out on mine too. I have white LEDs inside now, but I'm thinking of re-doing them in red since I only really need them to come on at night and the whites are kinda bright
Old 10-07-2013, 01:16 AM

Thanks, I think I have read most of the threads.. I want to power mine via a mounted switch in the bed and possibly a plunger type switch when the gate is open. I looked at linking it to the dome or cargo light circuit, but that is not how I would use it. As it is, I don't like the cargo switch as I have to turn it on from inside the cab.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:31 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

If you feel like getting creative for the bed lighting.. You could always run a wire right from the battery to a switch mounted somewhere of your preference in the bed. Wouldn't be to hard to run a wire underneath the truck and then picking a location to run it up into a spot in the bed. Ton's of different ways.
Tow mirrors up for the haters
Old 10-07-2013, 08:27 PM

OK got my bulbs in today and have mixed results.

On the map lights, they do not work when using them as map lights at all. They come on with the door open, but not when you press the switch. Additionally, when they fade out, only one fades out. The other one stays on and just shuts off after the other one fades out. Here is the buld I ordered
WLED-x4-x: 194 LED Bulb - 4 LED Wedge Base WLED-W4-90: Cool White Wide

On the dome light in the back, it works fine as a dome light, but flashes when used as a reading light.

This is what I am using in the dome light. 4210-xHP6: 6451 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Festoon 4210-CWHP6: Cool White

Any ideas or is this the resistor issue?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:46 PM
God Bless Texas!

Yeah, sounds like a resistor issue. I had the same issues, installed resistors and they work great now. Some folks swear that the 4th gen trucks don't have this issue, but I know the 3rd gen truck did. Check out Asur's build thread here. He's had a lot of insight as to how these 4th gen truck work.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Try swapping the polarity of the map light bulbs. I had a very similar issue in my truck. One bulb simply wouldn't not work, the other wouldn't completely shut off. I pulled out both bulbs, simply turned them over and reinstalled. Three and a half years later I've had no other issues. I got my bulbs for AAC.

Good luck, and hope this helps

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill