DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light
Question What all goes into an engine swap?

So I was thinking earlier. (that's always a bad thing) My engine still isn't fixed, let alone knowing what the actual problem is, would it be Cheaper to stick a new engine in? Plus this way I could get a 360 instead of my 318.

So, what all goes into an engine swap?

Will a 360 plug into where the 318 went fairly easy? ooorrrrr?

Any useful information about a swap would be great.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Sponsored links
Old 10-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:123
1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough

depends on alot. What year motor vs truck. Are engine mounts the same. Will the bell housing bolt up. Is the wiring harness the same. Can the trans hold the difference in power... I can't answer these question but it gives you. start for looking. Also their are fixes for all of these issues. It just brings up the cost of the swap

MODS in profile
Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 AM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:74
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

It's one of the easier swaps out there. Bolt it in, re-flash computer for a 360, let 'er rip. 318 and 360 Magnum share top-ends. Same bolt-ons. Same bellhousing bolt pattern. There are differences between OBD I and OBD II, but if you scored an OBD I 5.9, just use your 318 Magnum intake and exhaust. The OBD II connectors are different from OBD I. Suffice it to say, the differences are minor and easily dealt with. The 360 Magnum has external balance weight on the flexplate (for automatic), different balance for flywheel (for manual trans). Same engine mounts. Thing is, if you cannot solve your current problem, do you feel able to do a swap?

Last edited by Gen1dak; 10-02-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

well, we've spent over 2k at a few shops and they cant figure it out, but from what i've asked and everyones answers on this forum, it seems like I have a vacuum leak

But I was recommended to start with the Plenum gasket, then all the lines. but the plenum gasket is pretty hard to get to. At least if it what I've been told and researched.

So it would take more research and a solid idea to get me all airtight.

Me alone to do a swap? Definitely not. But soon ill be helping my friend and his dad do a swap on there 80's CJ7. They're using a mutual friends garage with a lift and all that fun stuff. So I would basically have the resources and few knowledgeable buddies to help me along with it.

Not to mention if it is something possible for me to to at this time, there would be a few threads floating around that I would be asking some questions here as well.

I know I had to re flash my computer. How much does that cost? obviously its different at each shop. but you know, If you had a guess. haha.

Whats an OBD? What's the difference between I and II?
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 10-02-2013, 01:01 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

i had a 96 ram and put a 97 engine in it same engine for the most part but the wiring harness was a tiny bit different. i ended up having to get a new crank shaft positioning sensor for a 97 for what reason i dont remember but that was about it for my situation.
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 10-02-2013, 01:39 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:123
1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough

in simple term obd is on board diagnostics its what you or a dealer plug into to scan your engine for codes. the biggest thing is the generation gap between the two. when obdII came out its all new wiring harnesses computers etc that run your vehicle. basically what gen1dak is saying is you are obdI so stay obdI

MODS in profile
Old 10-03-2013, 12:56 AM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:74
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Well, it's a little easier, but any Magnum will work as long as certain things are done. Mainly, if the donor comes with a sensor that has a different connector, just switch it out with one to match your year truck. An OBD I would need the EGR port on the intake to be plugged and the sensors would need to be changed to OBD II, but just swapping the current engine's intake on would solve that. Just saying, it's pretty easy to resolve any issues.