DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:26
Lincoln5.7 is on a distinguished road
Default I need a final answer on exhaust?

ive been doing research on a full exhaust for my 3rd gen (2008) for about 4 weeks straight every day and I still cant get a definite answer. someone please help....

if I were to just bolt on short tube headers and leave the stock cats, pay 30 bucks for the mag y-pipe (quoted 60$ for the install) then get that same shop to install the Borla XR-1 sportsman (flowthrough for better performance and also loud which is what im looking for). For all that it would be roughly 600 bucks....does that sound like a good plan for better performance for my truck over my stock restricting exhaust?

I have the cat-back part of the exhaust pretty much figured out as to that is what I want. but im completely stuck on headers. everyone keeps steering me towards long tubes and while that'd be great, I don't have the money for those or the money for the new tuner that has custom tunes for the header swap. (and I heard a lot of bad stuff from people with a 3rd gen having check engine lights come on with long tubes and I don't want to mess with all that)

my question is are short tubes bolt on with no welding or cutting?

and my last question is...whether or not the pacesetter mid-length headers are also bolt on headers with no welding or cutting? and if id get better performance with those than the short tube ones?

thanks for anyone that would be willing to help me out.
Bullydog GT Programmer Tuner, Flowmaster 40 series, 2 Polk MM1040's, 85mm Throttle body, Volant Powercore CAI, McGaughy 2in drop shackles, 22x10 srt10 rims, CCFL Halos, Belltech Street Performance Shocks.
Soon to come: 4.56's and Pacesetter LT with Y-pipe, Cat delete.
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Man Up And Cam Up

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:1010
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln5.7 View Post
ive been doing research on a full exhaust for my 3rd gen (2008) for about 4 weeks straight every day and I still cant get a definite answer. someone please help....

if I were to just bolt on short tube headers and leave the stock cats, pay 30 bucks for the mag y-pipe (quoted 60$ for the install) then get that same shop to install the Borla XR-1 sportsman (flowthrough for better performance and also loud which is what im looking for). For all that it would be roughly 600 bucks....does that sound like a good plan for better performance for my truck over my stock restricting exhaust?

I have the cat-back part of the exhaust pretty much figured out as to that is what I want. but im completely stuck on headers. everyone keeps steering me towards long tubes and while that'd be great, I don't have the money for those or the money for the new tuner that has custom tunes for the header swap. (and I heard a lot of bad stuff from people with a 3rd gen having check engine lights come on with long tubes and I don't want to mess with all that)

my question is are short tubes bolt on with no welding or cutting?

and my last question is...whether or not the pacesetter mid-length headers are also bolt on headers with no welding or cutting? and if id get better performance with those than the short tube ones?

thanks for anyone that would be willing to help me out.

You dont have to custom tune for LT but with out the custom tune you wont get the most out of them, they will still make a huge difference but the custom tune just makes it more drastic. As for the CEL, im running a set of OBX LT headers (completely stainless for $500 including highflow "cats" they are resonators) and right now im not running my hemifever tune that has the sensors shut off and i havent had a code yet so it just all comes down to what you exactly want to do.

The ST do not require any welding or cutting the flanges will come out right to the exact place the manifold flanges did.

As for the plan of going shorties, y-pipe, xr-1 for $600 OTD that sounds like a heck of a deal and you would be pleasantly surprised with the upgrade. My question is what are you planning on doing with the outlet, are you going to dump after the axle or just a single exit on the passenger side or do you know yet?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:04 PM

thank you for the reply and I would 45 degree turn down pipe and dump it right before the axle. that's how my exhaust is set up now and I like how loud dumped pipes are. since I am a teenager I like it really loud and I don't care to much about drone and its cheaper that way than getting more pip added and buying tips.

also you wouldn't happen to have the link to those obx headers wold you? and ive heard people say they don't like obx, did you notice good gains in the low end with them? are they holding up good?....no leaks or anything wrong so far?

sorry for all the questions ive been back and forth on this for too long now.
Bullydog GT Programmer Tuner, Flowmaster 40 series, 2 Polk MM1040's, 85mm Throttle body, Volant Powercore CAI, McGaughy 2in drop shackles, 22x10 srt10 rims, CCFL Halos, Belltech Street Performance Shocks.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Man Up And Cam Up

Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

I feel you 100% on the dumped pipes, i have mine dumped right now after the axle, it reduces the drone by a fair amount but still sounds good.

Here is a link to a set, i bought mine off ebay i think it was like $30 shipping. as for the quality, they are superb the flanges are super thick so they wont warp and the pipes are every bit of 16 gauge. From what i have seen on mine so far is the stainless grade is awesome they have been on mine for the duration of this illinois winter and no pitting at all just starting to blue from the heat. if i were doing it again i wouldnt hesitate buying another set i was very impressed.

As for low end, right off the line till about 10-15 miles an hour it either didnt change or i lost a little bit, i think that is from not having the back pressure from the cats, but after that it was a whole new truck it pulled really hard. i also had a superchips tuner when i first put them on and it ran great with that combo.

sorry for the long winded response but lastly on mine i did run into only 2 issues, which 1 was my fault, i accidently ordered a set for a 2wd so the cross over pipe was short but i fixed that no issue and also i needed an 02 sensor extension for one of the front sensors, i just plugged the back to sensor bungs with a plug and have my rears tied up and hooked in right now and i havent throw any codes even with out my HF custom tune.

Last edited by Kamanhart; 03-03-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 PM

thanks for all your help, ill look into that as another option for headers.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Man Up And Cam Up

no problem man, good luck with which ever way you go she is gunna sound mean!!