DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:127
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough
Default Finally got to drive my 13, my opinion

I finally got to drive my err our 13 cc 4x4 pentastar after owning it a full week. My opinion so far:
I'll preface this by saying this is my second Ram, I also currently own an 09 cc SLT 4x4 hemi. I must say from the trucks looking to be essentially the same, both crew cab short box 4x4, they are completely different animals in so many ways. They are both SLT's but the new one has significantly more options, which I'm a big fan of even more after driving.

My first drive I drove from my house to Winnipeg with the wife and two kids which is about 25 minutes to headingley. Truck average fuel economy was 14.2 l/100km (16.5mpg) when I got in. Not as good as I was hoping but I won't cry foul yet. As I set the cruise at 110 km/h the fuel economy settled at 12l/100km (19.6 mpg) The truck accelerated smoothly with a slight v6 sounding growl from under the hood. Shifts were really only detected by the engines tone changing. Very different from my hemi 5-45 combo in the 09.
After about 10 mins driving heard the rpm drop again, another gear or lockup, not sure but the fuel economy bounced between 10, and 11L/100km after that. I'd call it 10.5 (22.4mpg). I felt this was much more what I was hoping for. In the city the truck performed flawlessly. The way home it was raining with lots of water sitting on the road, picked up the speed to 112 km/h. With the water, and the speed increase mileage suffered a bit to 14L/100km (16.8 mpg), so I dropped the speed to 105 and the mileage settled at 11 (21.3mpg).

Test #2 came the same day, minutes after the first trip but I hooked my 18 ft car hauler behind it (hooking up trailer was a breeze with the reverse camera. Wow where has that feature been all my life!) of course the trailer was in the mud so I had to get the truck muddy getting it out of there 4 wheel drive worked as expected. I took the trailer to Portage la Prairie which is also about a 25 minute drive for me. With the water on the road and the trailer mileage suffered to 15L/100km (15.68mpg) at 110km/h. Trailer was empty, so I was a bit disappointed in that but as I got closer to portage la prairie the rain had quit and no more water on the road, mileage bounced between 12 and 13l/100km. I'll call it 12.5 (18.8mpg). I picked up a few boxes of siding. Not heavy, but long hence the trailer. Once secured I decided to take it through Portage instead of around the bypass as I did on my way there. I wanted to see stop and go with a bit of weight behind it. Well as it turned out I hit most of the lights (which is a lot for the size of portage) green, so no real test there. Way home put it in tow/haul mode dropped the speed to 105km/h mileage bounced between 11 and 12 l/100km. I'd call it 11.75 (20mpg). Pulled the load effortlessly

Third trip yesterday, took it on a 30 minute round trip. Speed was 107km/h rain was gone, wind was gone, truck threw up a 9l/100km (26mpg) for most of the trip. Now that's what I was hoping for.

Overall the truck is so different to drive than my 09 it's hard to explain. That is exactly why I purchased the truck, to take over the grocery getting, family hauling duties, get decent fuel economy, and still be able to pick up load of wire from my parts supplier.

I know this is long winded, but
Rear view camera is ultra cool
Ram boxes. Next truck will for sure have them
Uconnect is cool. Only played with it briefly though

Dislikes: engine noise. Can definitely hear the engine singing away and v6s are goofy sounding
White lettering out on my tires bothers me more that it probably should. They upgraded my tires to Goodyear silent armour (used to be called ATS), and put the lettering out on the shiny rims. I think it looks Honky Tonk like that but I likely won't spend the money to change them around.

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
Otterlake is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. Have to agree about the Goodyear tires, with the white lettering out. I am not a big fan either, don't think it looks the best and too hard to keep clean.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Fliehigh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterlake View Post
Thanks for the review. Have to agree about the Goodyear tires, with the white lettering out. I am not a big fan either, don't think it looks the best and too hard to keep clean.
Black permanent marker can fix that and cheaper then a rebalance too!

It would also make it look a little more.....um....red neck.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

how is the performance between the hemi and the pentastar? tks.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 ram
Trim Level: sxt
Color: black
Rep:30
mmateri is on a distinguished road

i get those numbers for fuel economy in my '13 hemi crewcab. i put 4000kms on my truck during vacation this year, on the hwy's i avg'd about 120km/hr, and for the trip total my fuel economy was just a touch under 24mpg 'imperial'
Old 09-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QCab
Trim Level: SLT - 8spd 3.55 20"
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic Clear
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:368
arietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nice

Thanks for the great review. I've also got V6/8spd .. just loving mine !
Old 09-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmateri View Post
i get those numbers for fuel economy in my '13 hemi crewcab. i put 4000kms on my truck during vacation this year, on the hwy's i avg'd about 120km/hr, and for the trip total my fuel economy was just a touch under 24mpg 'imperial'
24 mpg imperial is 12.3L/100km or 19.1 mpg US. So you're not quite at the same numbers as the OP. However those numbers are very good for a hemi truck.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 09-30-2013, 05:13 PM

Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
how is the performance between the hemi and the pentastar? tks.
Quite different as expected. The torque difference is noticeable, however the pentastar is no slouch. Obviously the 8 speed is the real magic with the combo.
For a commuter/grocery getter and light towing once in a while I would still buy it again knowing what I know.
My pentastar is a 3.55 ratio, hemi is a 3.92. Which is also factor to keep in mind.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmateri View Post
Oh another 30 mpg hemi in here.

I own both trucks I know what they do. The pentastar averages 2.5-3 l/100 km better than the hemi with the same driver (me) and similar conditions, in the same area.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 ram
Trim Level: sxt
Color: black
Rep:30
mmateri is on a distinguished road

Yeah, i have been really impressed with the fuel economy i get, and that is with 3.92 gears and 65rfe, my previous truck was a 2008 QC 4.7L, and i get much better economy in the new one