DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
MorePwr will become famous soon enough
Cool Magnaflow 16869 -- Installed --

I just installed my system yesterday, with some issues. I did not take pics, because I do not believe they are necessary. Magnaflow knows what the specs should be, and other than the tips being much larger, most people will not notice them. The following is the email I just sent to Magnaflow about the problems I had:

I am writing this only because I have known Magnaflow to be one of the best exhaust companies in terms of fitment and quality control. I do believe "you get what you pay for". I always operated my shop with this belief. On 09/28/2013 installed my 16869 system on my 2011 Ram 1500. Luckily I had a buddy with a lift, which saved me from quite a bit of cussing after the issues I found.

1st issue is a BIG one. After removing the stock system, we installed the muffler. Then we attempted to install the midpipes. BIG problem here. The midpipes and the exhaust outlets were EXACTLY the same size. The box was factory sealed, and there were no dents or damage to the pipe ends. Luckily for me, I had sold and installed several exhaust systems at my now closed accessory shop and was in a shop that had the correct solution under the circumstances. We used an expander, and installed the pipes. I feel sorry for guys that try to install these kits in their driveways or don't know what to do when they encounter something like this.

The rest of the install wasn't a big deal, except that the tips were scratched on the top sides. Fortunately I could get this hidden by the bumper during the install, but this is not the quality that I know from Magnaflow. Also, why do the tips not have Magnaflow stamped into them? I was really expecting this and was disappointed. So was the shop owner.

I am only passing my findings on in an effort to notify the appropriate managers of the issues. I can somewhat understand the scratches, but the pipes not being sized correctly are a real issue. I promote your company to anyone who asks about exhaust, and explain the ease of installation, and great SOUND, which is usually the only thing consumers really care about. Please try to get things back on track so those of us that really love and promote your products can feel comfortable doing so.

As far as the system, the looks are great, although personally the tips are too big for me. The best part is MOST people will never notice they are different unless it sits next to a stock Ram.

The sound is AWESOME!! The start up is deep but not muddy. The cruising sound is barely different than stock, even while in MDS. The throaty growl is incredible when you open the throttle body! This is what the truck should have sounded like from the factory!!!

Sean

Beaufort, SC

current: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport (16869)

former: 2008 Magnum RT (15628, best sounding exhaust ever), custom Magnaflow exhaust on modded '96 Caddy Fleetwood

next plan: 2013 Dart 2.0 (15181, if I can sneak it past the old lady)

Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2013, 06:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram RT
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Rep:34
FASTRAMRT is on a distinguished road

The kit bolted up in my driveway no problem. It must have just been a sole error. The kit sounds good and I get compliments on my tip size all the time haha however it is to quiet and I will be adding a louder muffler in place of the magnaflow one. I need to be heard before seen haha besides I need more velocity for my heads and supercharger when the time comes they go on.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Rep:10
Bringer is on a distinguished road

That's a bummer. I recently bought a 16869 online, and the pipes fit together perfectly. The tips didn't even hang too low from the bumper...very snug. I was a bit bummed not to have "Magnaflow" etched into the top of each exhaust tip. But I noticed a huge difference between the size of 5" tips and the stock tips. They look beefy to me. Hopefully Magnaflow will make things right with the stratches etc.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black Gold
Rep:177
Whiplash has a spectacular aura aboutWhiplash has a spectacular aura about

ya, mine bolted up no problem either. I had a shop do it and they were pretty surprised too that there were no issues as i guess they'd had problems in the past with Mag installs. The tips aren't dead center of the cutouts but they're close enuf that you have to really look to see it.
Sorry 'bout your luck MorePwr, hope Magnaflow hooks ya up with something to make up for the BS