DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram
Rep:10
sofaking is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy55 View Post
I too am not comfortable with the 8.4. There is a 2013 that I would buy but it has the 8.4A and I just dont want that. Has your 8.4 been working OK? I hear stories here of reboots, crashes, etc.
I bought a 013 about a month ago. I am starting to think I bought an 08 Durango because that is what I have been driving for the last two weeks. When I picked it up the bluetooth didn't work. I was told it probably just needed a software update. That didn't fix it. Took it in again and was told it was missing the blue tooth module, ordered one in and that did't fix it. Now I am waiting for a whole new radio and that is on back order.

I have put about twice as many miles on the Durango they gave me than I have on my new truck since I bought it. The dealer has been good and is trying but it is very frustrating making payments on a brand new truck I can't drive.
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:98
Stusmobile will become famous soon enough

Short answer: Value for money

Longer answer: After driving my old '02 Ram and using it nearly every weekend to haul stuff around, I wanted another full size truck when I bought again. Comfort, style and driving fun were all on the list of wants so shopping we went. Test drove a bunch of '12 models including the Chevy, Ford and a Ram, found things that I didn't like, want, need on all of them to be honest. After sitting and building my perfect truck I realized that there was no need for 90% of the options I liked and if I was totally honest would very rarely use. Listing the must haves, would likes and not required made me look at all of the big 3's offerings again and only one had everything I needed in a single package.

Chevy, looks like a brick, drove like a brick and felt as appealing as a brick. Ford eco-boost, not terribly stylish but I could have lived with the looks. The new engines though were off putting, not saying they are bad but they are new and I didn't want to be the test bed for them. Ram, relatively well proven engine in the 5.7 Hemi, very appealing interior/exterior styling and offered everything on my must have list at a good price point.

This is the 4th Dodge/Ram vehicle that has been in the family and the only thing that has been any sort of real problem has been that each of them seems to have had a weak spot. The Dakota liked water pumps, the 3rd gen Ram had the suspect transmission, the Caliber eats front ball joints. Aside from the "known" weak spot in the vehicle (which if we are honest 99% of vehicles have their own weak spot) they have performed well, done everything asked of them and never complained too loudly.

I'm not strictly a MOPAR fan (Alfa Romeo's own my heart there) but do lean in their direction generally for US vehicles. The Ram is not perfect, no mass produced vehicle can ever be perfect for everyone, but the minor things that annoy me can be changed and already have in some instances.

The Ram was hands down the best truck for us, for what we use it for and for the price.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:48 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Big Horn Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: deep cherry Red
fireman21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
I bought a 013 about a month ago. I am starting to think I bought an 08 Durango because that is what I have been driving for the last two weeks. When I picked it up the bluetooth didn't work. I was told it probably just needed a software update. That didn't fix it. Took it in again and was told it was missing the blue tooth module, ordered one in and that did't fix it. Now I am waiting for a whole new radio and that is on back order.

I have put about twice as many miles on the Durango they gave me than I have on my new truck since I bought it. The dealer has been good and is trying but it is very frustrating making payments on a brand new truck I can't drive.

i know in jersey that would be considered lemon law...thats messed up man...good luck with that...i know i would be calling chrysler and making them make the payments for it...
Old 09-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 1500 ST
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
sevensix is on a distinguished road
Default Y buy

Last summer I took a very serious look at the Big Three comparing features between them plus Internet comments especially about vehicle servicing. Plain base trucks are hard to find and if you fine one they are option loaded with a price to match, except...
I was sold (and bought) on a 2013 RAM, DOHC V6, 8 speed transmission at a very low price. Dealer was good at the bargaining table. Test drive revealed an incredibly quiet cab, uber smooth tranny, great ride but still reminds you it is a truck. Quality through and through. I retired my 1978 Chevy this summer; was in the market for a new truck and wanted the biggest bang for the buck and RAM came through on top. Yes, it came with all the whistles and bells. Nice.
-sevensix
Old 09-28-2013, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light
Default Let me tell you how I really feel...

There are quite a few reasons that I went with Ram. I grew up in a MOPAR family, and when I was a little kid my neighbor had a beautiful blue ram 1500 sport. He was always hauling and towing stuff around, and I wanted a truck like that when I grew up. All of our MOPARs have been as reliable as any vehicle can be.

My dad bought an '09 when Chrysler was going through their financial difficulties and closing a bunch of dealerships, and he got a really good deal on his (which is also blue ) and riding in it and driving it made me want one even more.

I also feel that the quad cab is the best cab option available on a truck. I don't like the look of crew cabs and they have way more room than I need, but extended cabs don't have independent doors in the back. Chevy's double cab wasn't available when I bought my truck (and I'm not sure they are yet), and the Toyota is a Toyota. Which brings me to my next point:

I grew up with Rams and always wanted one, but I wanted to be objective in buying my truck. Well, not that objective-I refuse to consider the non-American trucks (Nissan and Toyota). My Grandpa is a diehard Chevy guy, he has a 1973 Custom Deluxe that is still going strong, along with my mom's entire side of the family. So I thought about Chevys but honestly the 5.3 in the 2013 Silverado is not a competitive engine, and along with the interior (I don't need frills in my truck interior, but I don't want to pay for a cheap interior when the ram's is much nicer at the same or lower price), that was what turned me off of Chevy.

As far as Ford, I feel like they build a good truck, but I'm still not ready to accept a twin turbo engine in a gas truck. That meant I would have gone with the 5.0 Coyote, which I feel has the same problem as the 5.3 in the Chevy to a lesser extent. Ford also costs a lot more to get the same features as a comparable Ram, and to be honest I think Fords look terrible.

Then I drove the Ram. I made the 8 speed transmission with the Hemi a requisite for my search, so I went to a dealer that had some. I test drove a black crew cab Lone Star, and after that it was game over. The available power compared to my dad's hemi throughout the RPM range was incredible. They had a quad cab hemi 8 speed Lone Star on the lot so I took a look at it. It had all the options on it that the truck I built on the build your own website did except the 3.55 diff (which I no longer cared about after driving the 8 speed), and it didn't have the front bench seat. Also, I don't care for True Blue, I prefer a lighter color, so next on my list was Deep Cherry Red but the nearest one with the options I wanted was in Colorado. So I went ahead and bought it since it had all the options I wanted plus a few more. I had never been a huge fan of white, I always thought it was kind of plain, but with the chrome it looks good, and its definitely a functional color. My truck is noticeably cooler inside on hot days than our other vehicles, and it doesn't show dirt or scratches (hopefully, there aren't any yet) easily. Also, I had started to second guess getting the console instead of the bench seat, but after getting my CHL I find it a very convenient place to put my gun when I'm driving. IWB holsters get uncomfortable after sitting in my truck for a while with the side bolsters and lumbar support in the seat.

So now Thunderhorse sits in my driveway awaiting our next adventure.

ETA: Still no problems after almost 4700 miles. I do have the 8.4A

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 09-28-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

In 2012, I test drove a GMC, Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Nissan, and the Ram. Sticker on the Ram 4x4 CrewCab Lonestar/Bighorn was just shy of 42K but after all incentives and throwing numbers back and forth, 33k out the door was my final number. None of the other brands, similarly equipped as the Ram, could come close to the 33k out the door. I also was impressed with the coil suspension in how much smoother it drove to leaf springs. I think that is what really sealed the deal this time around to go back to Ram. I like them all but Ram has the most attractive interior, exterior, and price between all the truck brands hands down.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:08 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:195
viperr817 has a spectacular aura aboutviperr817 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
There are quite a few reasons that I went with Ram. I grew up in a MOPAR family, and when I was a little kid my neighbor had a beautiful blue ram 1500 sport. He was always hauling and towing stuff around, and I wanted a truck like that when I grew up. All of our MOPARs have been as reliable as any vehicle can be.

My dad bought an '09 when Chrysler was going through their financial difficulties and closing a bunch of dealerships, and he got a really good deal on his (which is also blue ) and riding in it and driving it made me want one even more.

I also feel that the quad cab is the best cab option available on a truck. I don't like the look of crew cabs and they have way more room than I need, but extended cabs don't have independent doors in the back. Chevy's double cab wasn't available when I bought my truck (and I'm not sure they are yet), and the Toyota is a Toyota. Which brings me to my next point:

I grew up with Rams and always wanted one, but I wanted to be objective in buying my truck. Well, not that objective-I refuse to consider the non-American trucks (Nissan and Toyota). My Grandpa is a diehard Chevy guy, he has a 1973 Custom Deluxe that is still going strong, along with my mom's entire side of the family. So I thought about Chevys but honestly the 5.3 in the 2013 Silverado is not a competitive engine, and along with the interior (I don't need frills in my truck interior, but I don't want to pay for a cheap interior when the ram's is much nicer at the same or lower price), that was what turned me off of Chevy.

As far as Ford, I feel like they build a good truck, but I'm still not ready to accept a twin turbo engine in a gas truck. That meant I would have gone with the 5.0 Coyote, which I feel has the same problem as the 5.3 in the Chevy to a lesser extent. Ford also costs a lot more to get the same features as a comparable Ram, and to be honest I think Fords look terrible.

Then I drove the Ram. I made the 8 speed transmission with the Hemi a requisite for my search, so I went to a dealer that had some. I test drove a black crew cab Lone Star, and after that it was game over. The available power compared to my dad's hemi throughout the RPM range was incredible. They had a quad cab hemi 8 speed Lone Star on the lot so I took a look at it. It had all the options on it that the truck I built on the build your own website did except the 3.55 diff (which I no longer cared about after driving the 8 speed), and it didn't have the front bench seat. Also, I don't care for True Blue, I prefer a lighter color, so next on my list was Deep Cherry Red but the nearest one with the options I wanted was in Colorado. So I went ahead and bought it since it had all the options I wanted plus a few more. I had never been a huge fan of white, I always thought it was kind of plain, but with the chrome it looks good, and its definitely a functional color. My truck is noticeably cooler inside on hot days than our other vehicles, and it doesn't show dirt or scratches (hopefully, there aren't any yet) easily. Also, I had started to second guess getting the console instead of the bench seat, but after getting my CHL I find it a very convenient place to put my gun when I'm driving. IWB holsters get uncomfortable after sitting in my truck for a while with the side bolsters and lumbar support in the seat.

So now Thunderhorse sits in my driveway awaiting our next adventure.

ETA: Still no problems after almost 4700 miles. I do have the 8.4A
White and silver are the best at hiding dirt and looking great while dirty! Nice looking ram u have there.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsmen
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:60
bradburyesqu will become famous soon enough

I bought a house that came with a Pontoon boat. I had an Equinox and a Malibu. Neither one was going to even think about pulling a 3000LBS boat and trailer. At first I started looking at cheep used beaters, the plan was to keep all three trucks. When I saw the pricing on the Ram it made me consider new.

I looked at all brands. $8,000 more for a comparably equipped GMC, $12,000 for ford. I don't even want to talk about the rice burners.

I was still on the fence, but then I test drove the Himi with the 8-speed transmission. You could have put a fork in me. I have never driven any vehicle where the power was that readily available all the time. It seems like a small thing but it changes the entire driving experience.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:43 PM
impugning the "hider"

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3215
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4ySt4lK3r View Post
I grew up with Ram. My dad had a 99 Ram QC Sport. Awesome truck. I bought a new 12' 1500 QC ST and love it. I did it mostly for "Guts and Glory"
Ditto. My father bought a new Ram truck every 3 years on the average. Started with a '80 all the way up to a '99 when he passed away. I have always loved Dodge/Mopar (including the old muscle cars), and there was no choice to make for me. Ram all the way.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Prairie Pearl Clearcoat
Rep:132
mrolow will become famous soon enoughmrolow will become famous soon enough

I started with a '92 Dakota, it was a good truck. I decided I needed something with more power, towing ability, and four wheel drive. so I got a '96 Ram 2500 with the 8.0 liter V10. Ran it for years, towing a 10,000lb trailer cross country a half dozen times and finally decided it was time to upgrade. So now I have a '13 Ram 2500 crew cab, four wheel drive with rambox. My 10,000lb trailer has been converted into a toy hauler.