DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 8sp
Trim Level: BigHorn. RamBox
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:210
OldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura about
Default Why did you go with Ram?

I'm now an owner of a 2 week old Ram 1500. I am a 60 y.o. general handyman that works mainly solo, and have worked out of an extended cab 1999 Ford Ranger for years. It was just time to get a new truck. I had pretty much decided on a new F150, but looked at GMC's and Toyota's, then stopped at a Ram dealership and saw a 2013 Ram 1500 with the RamBoxCargoManagement System and was enamored with it, but even more so with the many other features of creature comfort that Ram had to offer.I went back to the Ford dealer with my wife and both of us were thoroughly underwhelmed with the Ford in virtually every way compared to the Ram. Our only major reservation was the 8.4N system, and that was primarily due to fear of the whole computer thing.Now, 2 weeks later I am very happy with my decision.
So why did you all go Ram?
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2013, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I purchased my first Ram (an '08 QC Big Horn) on a whim. I had stopped into the dealership to check out the Caliber SRT (the wife had an '07 SRT Charger at the time). I got to looking at the Rams, it had the features that I liked, and they made me what I felt was a fair deal on the truck. I was driving an '06 Expedition at the time and wanted to get back into a truck.

I then checked out the 4th gen Rams while getting the wife's Charger serviced. I liked what I saw, but didn't really do much about it. A few weeks later I was looking around the dealer's website, and I saw two trucks that were loaded out the way I liked. I took a ride up to the dealership and kicked the tires, and took a test drive.

It was pretty much game over once I had taken the test drive. I thanked the salesman that was assisting me, and left an email with the salesman that I usually dealt with, (yeah I know it's bad when I had a "regular" salesman). We exchanged a few emails and telephone calls and a few days later I went and picked up my '10 CC Sport.

I like the 13s, but I just don't want to spend another almost $50K on a new truck, especially when the one that I'm driving now doesn't even have 30K miles on it yet.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 09-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:69
Machran will become famous soon enough

I think they are a great value. I also think they are the best looking of the new trucks.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1970 Charger R/T
Rep:10
mnguy55 is on a distinguished road

I too am not comfortable with the 8.4. There is a 2013 that I would buy but it has the 8.4A and I just dont want that. Has your 8.4 been working OK? I hear stories here of reboots, crashes, etc.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Rep:10
zj4x4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy55 View Post
I too am not comfortable with the 8.4. There is a 2013 that I would buy but it has the 8.4A and I just dont want that. Has your 8.4 been working OK? I hear stories here of reboots, crashes, etc.
I love the 8.4. Haven't had any of the issues that some have complained about. I bought mine in June and have wondered of those problems were with newer software versions.

To answer the original question, the RamBox feature and gas mileage on the 8 speed were the main reasons I looked at a Ram in the first place. I use the Ramboxes constantly and am always surprised that no other truck manufacturer has tried something similar.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 8sp
Trim Level: BigHorn. RamBox
Color: Black
Rep:210
OldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura about

No problems except that I lost my presets on XM the 2nd day. Since then, no problems and I'm actually beginning to get comfortable with it. I like the way it easily pairs with my iPhone 5, and it just seems better and better to me as I use it. All of the cars we've had for the past several years have been computerized, but this is the first one that gives us hands on utilization. Too early to actually say that I can recommend it though.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:48 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJoe View Post
So why did you all go Ram?
The interior design compare to the other two (sorry, don't consider vehicles that start with the word toy) sold me. I spend all my time inside the vehicle, that was were my focus was.

After driving the RAM for almost six months, I also appreciate the quite interior, the Hemi exhaust note, and the comfort of the bucket seats on long drives.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500/ 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: ST
Color: GRAY
Rep:27
D4ySt4lK3r is on a distinguished road

I grew up with Ram. My dad had a 99 Ram QC Sport. Awesome truck. I bought a new 12' 1500 QC ST and love it. I did it mostly for "Guts and Glory"
Old 09-28-2013, 11:13 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed
Color: Copperhead Pearlcoat
Rep:54
The Crow 1994 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machran View Post
I think they are a great value. I also think they are the best looking of the new trucks.
I agree. The looks of the Ram are what drew me in initially. After checking out the interior and test driving one, I was sold.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Silver
Rep:32
davidgcet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj4x4 View Post
I use the Ramboxes constantly and am always surprised that no other truck manufacturer has tried something similar.
actually the Chevy Avalanche and even Nissan had/have similar. I know my stepdad's Avalanche can store a TON of stuff in the side bins. Of course, those are not RAM trucks so they in no way compare.

When I got my '12 the sales guy at the local dealer tried his best to get me to get one with a Rambox. While it would be a nice feature for many, it did not fit my needs. That dealer ended up costing himself a sale, he refused to come down just 200.00 on my wife's new truck. Since she wanted that one we bought it, but I told him i'll buy mine elsewhere. I drove just 1.5 hours away and got a loaded Outdoorsman for less than he was offering on a Big Horn with fewer features.

I went with Ram because my last one was so good to me. I had an '04 SLT QC 4x4 and put nearly 170k miles on it with very few issues. Condensor fan failed, debris poked a hole in the radiator, 1 bad battery in 8 years of owning it, and finally the typical driver seat compressing. other than that only had routine maintenance.

Now that work is settling back into local instead of nationwide jobs I should keep this one at least as long. When I bought this one I fully expected to put 90k a year on it and only have it 2 years.

Last edited by davidgcet; 09-28-2013 at 11:37 AM.