DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman SLT
Color: black/gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Connman67 is on a distinguished road

Call the Shaman... or priest!
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:10
mace of bass is on a distinguished road

Anytime a vehicle goes into reverse (either driver or otherwise) while cruising in drive, it is forced to shut down. In other words, it WILL NOT go into reverse.

Is that what is happening? You hear a clunk then the truck shuts down? If the truck doesn't shut down, it is not likely going in reverse. Of course, it is your truck and you know it far FAR better than I, but vehicles these days just will not go into reverse when you are going 40 mph down the highway.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:39 AM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Although you stated the dealership did oil changes and service work to this used Laramie, I highly doubt that it was a problem free truck. The unfortunate ugliness about used car lots is "Sold As Is". Good luck with your truck as I hope you find a remedy to this road demon.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Your transmission will not go into Reverse all by itself (while driving down the road). You have to physically move the shift lever into the Reverse position in order to engage Reverse; the computer cannot shift it into Reverse by itself.

I suspect that you may have a Trans Range Sensor (TRS) problem, or more likely a wiring problem (in one of the TRS circuits). Did you have a P0706 (Trans Range Sensor Rationality) fault?

Does your truck have a PRND display where all the letters are always visible, but one is highlighted in a different color? For example, in Park the P is green and the others are all white. The N and D also show up in green when they are selected. In Reverse, the R is red (and all the others are white). Here is what I bet happened: If the PCM detects an invalid TRS signal, it sets the P0706 fault, and lights up ALL the PRND positions at once. In older trucks, you would get a "box" around all the positions. But in yours, since it merely changes color to indicate the current gear position, when it highlights "all" of the positions, P, N, and D turn green, while R turns red. So it LOOKS like it is displaying Reverse, when in reality it is highlighting all of the positions.

So I'm guessing you just have a bad wire (or flaky connection) on one of your TRS circuits.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Your transmission will not go into Reverse all by itself (while driving down the road). You have to physically move the shift lever into the Reverse position in order to engage Reverse; the computer cannot shift it into Reverse by itself.

I suspect that you may have a Trans Range Sensor (TRS) problem, or more likely a wiring problem (in one of the TRS circuits). Did you have a P0706 (Trans Range Sensor Rationality) fault?

Does your truck have a PRND display where all the letters are always visible, but one is highlighted in a different color? For example, in Park the P is green and the others are all white. The N and D also show up in green when they are selected. In Reverse, the R is red (and all the others are white). Here is what I bet happened: If the PCM detects an invalid TRS signal, it sets the P0706 fault, and lights up ALL the PRND positions at once. In older trucks, you would get a "box" around all the positions. But in yours, since it merely changes color to indicate the current gear position, when it highlights "all" of the positions, P, N, and D turn green, while R turns red. So it LOOKS like it is displaying Reverse, when in reality it is highlighting all of the positions.

So I'm guessing you just have a bad wire (or flaky connection) on one of your TRS circuits.
Great info! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:21 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:34
muddy53 is on a distinguished road
Default Dealer

Hope the dealer makes good on this fix. Should still be under warranty so they should take care of it.
I would suspect that going into reverse at 40 would damage the trans, u joints, transfere case and differential. May be time to get rid of it?

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 / 2002 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Gold
Rep:30
Maine-Ram is on a distinguished road

Trust me, when you get rid of this lemon, and own a normal, functional, not bipolar Ram, you will love the truck! My first truck was a Ram, and never looked back! My former boss is a ram guy. His nickname in the woods is "Dodgeboy".

He has own'ed dodge since the as early as he can remember. Even used to own old dodge semi trucks he used to haul wood with. Currently has 3 of those trucks in a pit, waiting to be restored.40+ years of logging experience and using only 1 brand of truck to get to the job is insurance enough for me that these trucks are tough like nothing else.

Second thought. I'd imagine the shifting from shifter to transmission is electrical. Could the issue not be that the "solenoid" (for lack of a better term) which reads what position the gear lever is in, is faulty? Perhaps it is malfunctioning on occasion and "reads" the truck has been placed into reverse.

Also is the shifter on the column or on the floor? Happen when you hit a bump?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:33 PM

Vehicle: 2005 ram
Trim Level: st
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:9
picker is an unknown quantity at this point

Dealer can pull up your vin and print history of your truck, Ask-em.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-Ram View Post
... Second thought. I'd imagine the shifting from shifter to transmission is electrical. Could the issue not be that the "solenoid" (for lack of a better term) which reads what position the gear lever is in, is faulty? Perhaps it is malfunctioning on occasion and "reads" the truck has been placed into reverse.
The 8-speed trans is "all electronic" (there is no physical shift linkage), but the 6-speed still uses a conventional shift cable that moves a lever on the side of the transmission. To get into Reverse, you MUST physically move that shift lever to the Reverse detent. It doesn't matter what you do with the solenoids, you can't get Reverse unless the manual valve (which is physically connected to the shift lever) is in the Reverse detent.

I'm guessing that the issue is with the Trans Range Sensor (TRS), which (as you suggested) is what "reads what position the gear lever is in." If that sensor gives a faulty (invalid) signal, you get the P0706 with "all PRNDL highlighted." I doubt it would actually give a true "Reverse" display, since for that to happen, three out of the five TRS wires would have to switch to the wrong state. I can see one wire going bad, but typically you don't have three of 'em fail simultaneously.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Express
Trim Level: ST
Rep:92
Graygoose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhepper View Post
A 2011 w/17k miles is suspicious? What would you think of my 14k miles then?
Mine is a 2011 and only has 11,400 miles to date....low miles can happen, but sometimes you have a short distance driver like mine, not a highway driver.

2011 White Ram Express, KMC Slides, Nitto 420s 22's,Extang Trifecta, GF leveling kit, KICKER sound system,CodeAlarm remote start, '13 Retroshop Headlights and Tail lights, Bedrug, MGP Caliper covers, LED reverse lights, AAC interior LED and licence plate LEDs, BT Catch Can,Weathertech mats