DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl/Gold Two-Tone
Rep:37
AzDusty is on a distinguished road
Default Mds + eco?

Ok I believe I have all the combinations to get exceptional gas mileage, I have wheel to wheel sidesteps, air suspension, 8 speed tranny, and the aero damper system.

Now how do I know it is working as I expect it to? Is it the ECO light that comes on in my EVIC? I find that it has very little to do with speed or how much I am mashing the gas (I have seen it on when my current mileage is 7 and at other times not until it hits 17). My current MPG is 13.6 at 1500 miles using 87.

I should also tell you I have the Laramie Longhorn, with the 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed and 3.92 on my 4x4 all of these are factors in mileage I know this.

But what does the ECO light really mean and how can I tell if the dampers are closed or open and what about the MDS kicking in is there an indication?

RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

ECO light is only an indicator that at the time its on the engine is in its most optimal state to be the most fuel economical, meaning, fuel - air - your foot on the gas - load on the engine - etc for the fuel economy to be at its optimal state at the particular time. In essence its just a glorified sensor that says the vacuum with a few computer calculations that the engine is indicating the driver is not flooring the gas pedal.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:35 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:216
JohnnyDollar has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDollar has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDollar has a spectacular aura about

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "exceptional gas mileage".
I am not sure that phrase goes with "HEMI".

I have a 2012, and from what I have read in the owners manual, the ECO light is, as Asur states, an indicator that your are driving economically at that particular instant.

There is no sole indicator that the MDS has kicked in.
On my truck when I am driving down the highway, I can tell when the MDS kicks in as the truck "feels" different and I can hear the exhaust get a little louder.

I do have an 18" magnaflow muffler installed and the normal throaty sound changes when the MDS is activated vs. when it is not.

My truck is rated 14city and 20highway; however, the best I have been able to do is 19.5MPG.

ETA:
I usually keep my EVIC display on "Fuel Economy" which gives me a real time digital indicator of MPG.
My ECO light comes on anytime that digital display gets near 20, regardless of the average mpg display.

Last edited by JohnnyDollar; 09-19-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

with the 2009 Ram w/ HEMI
we have the words, Fuel Saver, where you have ECO
i believe that ECO is just a shortened form of saying ECOnomical

my light can light up after 27mph is reached when accelerating & i am in the highest gear, which is 5th overdrive on my Ram
when decelerating, it can stay on until i am almost completely stopped

all that light truly is for, is to make the driver feel good about themselves while driving

i don't even look at my light
I step out of my place & i am at about 800 above sea level, i start my Ram heading East & in less then 20 minutes, the road is at 4,200 feet elevation, 40 minutes after that, i reach the desert floor & i am at Sea Level
Now that is a gauge worth looking at
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 1500
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3248
PaulMys has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
with the 2009 Ram w/ HEMI
we have the words, Fuel Saver, where you have ECO
i believe that ECO is just a shortened form of saying ECOnomical

my light can light up after 27mph is reached when accelerating & i am in the highest gear, which is 5th overdrive on my Ram
when decelerating, it can stay on until i am almost completely stopped

all that light truly is for, is to make the driver feel good about themselves while driving

i don't even look at my light
I step out of my place & i am at about 800 above sea level, i start my Ram heading East & in less then 20 minutes, the road is at 4,200 feet elevation, 40 minutes after that, i reach the desert floor & i am at Sea Level
Now that is a gauge worth looking at
So true, Tom. That fluctuation in elevation is astounding in an hours' drive!!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

What i find astounding is the fact that just north of that Sea Level sign, maybe 30 miles as the crow flies, there is a salt lake, it is called the Sulton Sea
the surface of the water is at -228 feet elevation

a town nearby has the tallest flagpole in the World, the Ball at the top is 4" above Sea Level, we called it the town Mayors seat
but the real reason was to always have the Stars & Stripes above Sea Level

Calipatria, California - Flag Pole at Sea Level

I have been to Calipatria, CA in the desert near the Salton Sea. It is 184 feet below sea level and they have a 184 ft pole so the top is at sea level.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/7394

here is the whole story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calipatria,_California
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-19-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 1500
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3248
PaulMys has disabled reputation

Wow, that was a great read, Tom. Very interesting. Thanks bud.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl/Gold Two-Tone
Rep:37
AzDusty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDollar View Post
I am not exactly sure what you mean by "exceptional gas mileage".
I am not sure that phrase goes with hemiy.
I was talking about the commercial references to 25mpg. I would kill to see 19.5 so far my best is 14.1 but I have less than 1500 miles and live at almost 5kft and no I don't believe I will see 25 not with 4wd

RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn
Old 09-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

with your Rams weight, 4wd, & 3.92 drive ratio

you will be lucky to see 25 mpg going down a very long hill
like Highway 17 going from Flagstaff to Phoenix
Old 09-20-2013, 12:36 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:216
JohnnyDollar has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDollar has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDollar has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDusty View Post
I was talking about the commercial references to 25mpg. I would kill to see 19.5 so far my best is 14.1 but I have less than 1500 miles and live at almost 5kft and no I don't believe I will see 25 not with 4wd
Thanks for clarifying. 25MPG would be exceptional.
I was not aware they were rated that high.

My 4x2 is only rated 14City / 20Hwy.
Most of my driving is below 1000' elevation.

Last edited by JohnnyDollar; 09-20-2013 at 12:47 AM.