DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum

Notices

Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum Wax on, Wax off! Chat about anything that gives you Carpal Tunnel or Tennis Elbow in here! ;)

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
theGSE10 is on a distinguished road
Default fixing paint scratches

So last weekend I drove home from a tailgate with a tarp over the bed to protect my stuff (stupid mistake) and now I have a large spot of paint scratches on the tailgate.

I spoke to my dealer's auto body shop and set up an appointment for a quote tomorrow, however does anyone know what kind of price I'd be looking at for this kind of repair? I just don't want to get ripped off too badly. It's about a 1' by 1' square area at the top of the tailgate and it's definitely both paint and clear-coat scratches.

I thought about just buying a DIY repair kit but paint has never been my strong suit and I don't want to screw it up any worse.

Any advice would be appreciated because I have never had to do paint repairs before.
Hellwig rear sway bar / Green filter / Borla XR-1 / Line-X / Bak Roll-X / AMI shorty antenna / Raptor 4" nerf bar / Mopar tow hooks / Moroso Catch Can / Bilsteins @ 2.1 / Fox 2.0 rear / TGC .75 rear spacer / Air Lift 1000 / Bak Box 2 /

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ut4enlwx4fslgd8/slpdRXv6z2
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

It is really hard to say as it will vary by region because of the labor costs. The shop will have to make what ever repair might be necessary then re-paint the whole tailgate. Having said that, I would hazard a guess at approximately $300.00
Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

How deep are the scratches? If they aren't to deep you might be able to buff them out with a gentle polish and a buffer--always use the least abrasive first. Run your fingernail over the scratches and if your fingernail does not "catch" on the scratch it can be corrected without paint(usually). If you need paint, it depends on the shop and as was stated the region you live in---my painter does not even pickup his paint gun for less than $150--then you start paying for material and prep.
Jay
Old 08-26-2013, 05:58 PM

thanks guys,

Yeah they're pretty deep. Definitely enough to catch my nail. I'm going to hope for the best but I'm almost positive they'll want to spray. Will they need to spray the whole tailgate if the scratches are only in the upper right corner?
Hellwig rear sway bar / Green filter / Borla XR-1 / Line-X / Bak Roll-X / AMI shorty antenna / Raptor 4" nerf bar / Mopar tow hooks / Moroso Catch Can / Bilsteins @ 2.1 / Fox 2.0 rear / TGC .75 rear spacer / Air Lift 1000 / Bak Box 2 /

Old 08-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGSE10 View Post
thanks guys,

Yeah they're pretty deep. Definitely enough to catch my nail. I'm going to hope for the best but I'm almost positive they'll want to spray. Will they need to spray the whole tailgate if the scratches are only in the upper right corner?
To do a proper job yes they will probably want to paint the entire tailgate, at least the side the damage is on.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
To do a proper job yes they will probably want to paint the entire tailgate, at least the side the damage is on.
Good to know, thanks for the insight!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

No worries glad to help. Good luck with it.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:02 AM

Just an update in case anyone was thinking of going through the same thing. Total came to $398 for the complete package.

Included:
$44 for a new "spoiler" (plastic piece on top of the tailgate)
$26 for new 4x4 emblem (I was told they do not come off as easily/cleanly as the larger Big Horn and Ram emblems)
$328 for repainting the scratches and tailgate

This is my dealerships body shop doing the work so would say it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.