DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Tan
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
06HemiRam is on a distinguished road
Default Clunking noise from glovebox

Just got a new to me 06 Ram, after a day or two I noticed a clunking noise coming from the glovebox. It varies in speed as the fan speed changes and stops when the fan is in the off position. I read the recirculator door commonly breaks and can cover the fan, but I seem to have good airflow out of the vents. The clunking is at startup and then seems to go away after a while and is barely noticeable at low speeds, but present on all the vent settings as near as I can tell.

Any other possible causes and is it likely something is just in the fan that I could get out? I bought the truck used from a dealer and might call them and see if they will fix it for me, but if its as small as something in the fan I might as well just do it myself.
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 dodge power wagon
Trim Level: power wagon
Color: black
Rep:68
mb power wagon will become famous soon enough

if i were you i'd call the dealer. if it is something in the fan it's a big job to get inside the heating/ac system. you will have to remove most of the dash.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT - Quad Cab
Color: Graphite Metalic
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:118
tjbiker031 will become famous soon enoughtjbiker031 will become famous soon enough

you can drop the fan in like 15 minutes. its literally under the dash, under the glovebox held in by 5 or so screws. Its the only circular looking cover there.

Get your Factory Manuals here!! <link fixed>
Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:327
starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

Getting into certain parts of the HVAC system can certainly be a PITA but as tjbiker said, the fan is not one of them. It actually couldn't be much easier. Best I remember it's held on by three phillips head screws oriented in a triangular fashion and there is one electrical connection. I would try that first. I have heard of folks finding all sorts of stuff on their fan motors. If you drop the motor and it's clean, you can feel or twist yourself around and look up into the hole where the fan was with a flashlight and check out the recirc door. It's in there about elbow deep, lol. If everything appears fine or if you find the recirc door broken I would take it to the dealer.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Tan
Rep:10
06HemiRam is on a distinguished road

Pulled the fan today, 15 minutes might be an overstatement in how long it takes. Nothing came out so I messed around with the heater controls, the recirculator door seems to move just as it should, there may be a little slack in one position but none in the fan off position. Fan seemed as though it was still tight and the more I think about it the more I think the fan is just rubbing on the housing that it sits in. When I put the fan back in the noise changed, disappeared at lot speeds and only happens at high speeds. When anyone replaced or removed the fan, did they notice a gasket or anything between the fan motor and housing? There wasn't anything on mine and it seems like something that small could be the difference in clearance to cause this ticking/clunking noise.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Vehicle: 2007 dodge power wagon
Trim Level: power wagon
Color: black
Rep:68
mb power wagon will become famous soon enough

if you think the clearance is an issue like that. go to wal mart and pick up some of that cheap foam tape and make a gasket around the lip of the fan housing and see if that cures it. glad to hear it isn't in the blend doors.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:327
starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

It's been a while but I'm pretty confident there is no gasket for the fan.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.