DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Power Wagon

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Rep:24
vortex911 is on a distinguished road

Trail Whale, I looked on the Carli website researching the kit you spoke of previously. It seemed extremly expensive at $4500. Do you mind if I ask What it cost you putting it together the way you did? Do the shocks have to be changed or will the stock ones work with that set up? Dont really want to drop that much ching???
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Powerwagon
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BgDannyP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Whale View Post
Just to clarify- it's not actually their leveling kit. I think their leveling kit would actually be a bit to low for our trucks. It is the frontend components of their 3" lift kit. I have seen people use this setup on the front and stay stock out back and end up really close to level.

Should be here in a few weeks, I'll likely be installing on the second weekend of september! I'll post up plenty of pics when I do! I'll try and remember to take height measurements and to do the frontend first so I can get measurements of just how close to level it turns out!
The coils in the leveling kit and all the other 3" kits give the same lift as far as I know. I had their starter sytem on my last dodge, I removed two of the factory dodge spacers between the axle and leaf springs in the rear end, and ended up with no rear lift. I gaind just under 3" in the front. The ride and handleing change is drastic, it won't be long till my 2013 gets some Carli parts as well. Mild steel arms, track bar, limit straps, coils / bilstien 5100's and BJ's. I would go for some of the higher end packages, but the price goes up fast, and I don't jump my truck or pretend to be a desert racer. I will add the poly bumpstops from KORE, really the only thing they make that I liked.

I would love to go woth the radius arm 6" and piece together a kit, but thats serious $$$. The Thuren cantilever shock setup would be awesome as well.

Hopefully you get your parts in soon, I would love to see it before mine are in!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:87
Trail Whale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex911 View Post
Trail Whale, I looked on the Carli website researching the kit you spoke of previously. It seemed extremly expensive at $4500. Do you mind if I ask What it cost you putting it together the way you did? Do the shocks have to be changed or will the stock ones work with that set up? Dont really want to drop that much ching???
You can go a LOT cheaper, don't worry!!!! I went bling ($5200, OUCH!!!) but, you don't have to do 2.5" Kings and fabricated towers in order to see an advantage! I was talking with a Carli rep, and they said you can run their springs, arms, and trackbar to level the frontend and get good geometry, and still run stock shocks (Power Wagon stock shocks are Bilstein 5100s), you'll just lose a bit of droop travel since the stock shocks will be a bit too short. Or you can sell your stock shocks and go with one of Carli's more basic shock packages so you don't miss out on any travel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgDannyP View Post
The coils in the leveling kit and all the other 3" kits give the same lift as far as I know. I had their starter sytem on my last dodge, I removed two of the factory dodge spacers between the axle and leaf springs in the rear end, and ended up with no rear lift. I gaind just under 3" in the front. The ride and handleing change is drastic, it won't be long till my 2013 gets some Carli parts as well. Mild steel arms, track bar, limit straps, coils / bilstien 5100's and BJ's. I would go for some of the higher end packages, but the price goes up fast, and I don't jump my truck or pretend to be a desert racer. I will add the poly bumpstops from KORE, really the only thing they make that I liked.

I would love to go woth the radius arm 6" and piece together a kit, but thats serious $$$. The Thuren cantilever shock setup would be awesome as well.

Hopefully you get your parts in soon, I would love to see it before mine are in!
Sounds like you've got a GREAT plan!!!

About the KORE progressive bumpstops- I was looking at them and seriously considering them. When you get them, please post up how you like them! The only thing that held me off from getting them was that they are more for high speed stuff (rapid suspension compression) so they may actually hinder some upward travel in low speed wheeling since there isn't a sudden jarring force to compress them. They are (from my understanding) a progressive bumpstop designed to prevent harsh bottoming out. If I start doing more high speed, I may go to them. (or if your review of them is glowing and makes them impossible for me to resist!)

From what I have been reading, it looks like the front lift will be just under 2" (since the Power Wagon sits taller than a standard 2500) and the rear springs will be pretty much the same height as stock (but ditch the spacers), I bought Thuren shackles so I can adjust the rearend height to my liking.

I really REALLY wanted the 6" radius arm Carli setup but, there was no way I could afford it. Not only are the radius arms $$$$ but, you also have to get new wheels (with less backspacing than stock), get new extended brakelines, get the front driveshaft lengthened, modify the rear most skidplate crossmember for driveshaft clearance, and I would guess likely have to modify the exhaust Y pipe for clearance too. I just don't have the $$$! But DANG that is a SICK setup!

The Thuren cantilever setup? I assume you mean for the rear shocks? Allowing you to run big long travel shocks but not have to chop up the bed and run them through? I have heard rumors of it but, I've never even seen any pics, would you happen to have a link to some pics? Thanks!

I got an email saying my Carli stuff shipped on the 24th so, hopefully it will be here soon!!!! Can't wait!

I can't wait to get my 37s on for real!!! This is a pic from when I was just checking 37" tire clearance up front with the truck stock. (there wasn't enough, I wouldn't even try street driving it (and yeah, I know the pic looks Photoshopped but it's not, LOL!)):

Last edited by Trail Whale; 09-28-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Rep:24
vortex911 is on a distinguished road

BgdannyP, You say a drastic change once you leveled the front of your previous dodge? I assume this was a drastic change for the better? What did the starter kit include and was it on a power wagon? thx
Old 09-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Powerwagon
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Color: Silver
Rep:10
BgDannyP is on a distinguished road

My last truck was an 05 3500 cummins. The starter kit has a much more controlled ride, and it killed 90% of the rear axle hop. My 3500 was almost useless offroad stock, the rear axle hop was brutal. The ride is firm, but the bumps are actually absorbed and controlled. The bumps do not unsettle the truck like they did stock. I could sail through some serious washboard and the truck would track straight and keep traction. In the snow I could crawl through much more just due to the lack of wheel hop. I gained some serious articualation with the kit, I ran my truck with one sway bar link removed offroad as well.

Trail Whale - I had them on my old truck, I would guess that I lost under an inch of articulation with that kit. But you sure notice them when you hit a big bump that catches you by surprise. I have bottomed out the new pw on a few roller bumps and it hits fairly hard. I will try and articulate the truck tomorrow and see if it even hits the factory bumpstops. I would think that these would help keep your 37's out of you fenders as the carli kit will compress to the same point as the facoty suspension, and my 35's are just over an inch from hitting the inner fenderwell at full compression.

I love the look of the 37's in your pic, my 35's look a bit small, but 37's look just right!!

Last edited by BgDannyP; 09-28-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: added link to pic
Old 09-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:87
Trail Whale will become famous soon enough

BgDannyP-
Awesome! Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks for posting the awesome pic!!! Y'all have some beautiful scenery up there!!!! Also, your truck looks great on 35s!

As for hitting the bumpstops stock, about a month ago, I decided to flex out on an RTI ramp- I am pretty sure I was on the bumpstop here, dang near (if not at) full articulation, IIRC. These trucks flex quite nicely stock! (sorry for the dark pic, it was night time):

Last edited by Trail Whale; 09-29-2013 at 02:48 PM.