DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:531
Flatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of light
Default 32 gallon fuel tank "thump" help please...

Well, I've got an order in for a new Laramie and I ordered the 32 gallon tank. ship date is supposed to be 11/4 which means I prolly can't change the order.

Just read that there is a "thumping" issue with this tank. Dang it! Didn't really "need" a 32 gallon tank but thought for long trips it might be nice for just $50 extra. I wouldn't have ordered it had I known.

For those that have it, is there any remediation technique? In other words, is the "thump" worse if you keep it full or if you only fill part way or what? Have you found any methodology to reduce the issue? When do you get the "thump"? All the time or what?

2014 Laramie QC 4x4, tan interior, 3.92's, sport hood, customized Moto Metal wheels & AT tires, LineX bed, rockers and fender flares, K&N Filter, cabin filter, "black ice" grill inserts, Putco bed rails, RollBac tonneau cover, LED bed lights, Mufflex 14" with Mufflex resonator and stock resonators, Moroso catch can and a "matching" 2008 special edition "Will Cooksey" Z06 - #139 of 505.
Sponsored links
Old 10-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:10
Icehog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandor View Post
Well, I've got an order in for a new Laramie and I ordered the 32 gallon tank. ship date is supposed to be 11/4 which means I prolly can't change the order.

Just read that there is a "thumping" issue with this tank. Dang it! Didn't really "need" a 32 gallon tank but thought for long trips it might be nice for just $50 extra. I wouldn't have ordered it had I known.

For those that have it, is there any remediation technique? In other words, is the "thump" worse if you keep it full or if you only fill part way or what? Have you found any methodology to reduce the issue? When do you get the "thump"? All the time or what?
I have a 32 gallon tank and never had any issue, never a noise at any level.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2625
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have the 32 gallon tank in my "09
it has a FEEL of a thump, like someone slightly bumping their bumper & yours at a Stop Sign.
It happens between 1/2 to 3/4 on your gas gauge
You get used to it after a while
It happens when you Stop, then you feel the bump
You will read what people have done to try to eliminate it, some will say that turning off the Hill Start Assist works for them
It could be almost anything, or a combination of them
fuel being at a certain level
transmission shifting down to 2nd gear
braking system adjusting to a different pressure needing to hold the vehicle stationary
gas surge in the tank
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:532
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Its really not that bad, and the added range far outweighs the tiny thump.
Huskyliner Weatherbeaters, door edge guards, Line-X bedliner, Kryptek Typhon Cordura seat covers w/ MOLLE panels (review), Console Vault (install/review), Bilstein 4600s (thread), BFG T/A KO2 LT275/60/20s (thread), Borla XR-1 (thread).
Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Flatlandor, it's nothing to worry about and isn't bad as some point it out to be. I have the 32 and like being able to go near 500 miles before the gas light comes on. If you coast to your stops and brake easy, you can minimize fuel slosh in these tanks. It works for me and has for 21K miles. The only time I get the 3/4 tank bump is when I am up on the wheel and impatiently hard on my brakes, which I have to remind myself, slow my roll before I kill someone.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
mces is on a distinguished road

I have the 32 gal tank and have not noticed any thump. I'm only on my third tank of gas though.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black & Gold
Rep:15
eethomas is on a distinguished road

Yep, I have the 32 gallon thump. Like GTyankee said, it only happens between 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank. Hill Start Assist or none of that other stuff helps it (at least it doesn't help on mine). Mine doesn't do it when it is full, and it doesn't do it after it gets down to about 1/2 tank down to empty, but you can definitely feel it between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank when you come to a stop. I thought I had a hesitation or some sort of engine miss at first. I was waiting for the problem to get worse so I could take it to the dealer to have it checked until I read about it here on this forum, and then I paid attention to when it was happening and sure enough, that's what it is. Not really a problem now that I know what it is, but was quite concerned before.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:10 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Color: Black
Rep:26
deathwarden5 is on a distinguished road

You barely notice it after a while.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
mattp160 is on a distinguished road

I haven't had any issues with fuel sloshing around. I've had my truck since Friday so I haven't put many miles on it. I filled it up at half tank just to save the bank, not ready to see the total $ amount for 30 gallons of fuel
Old 10-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

OP,

Where did you read about the "thumping" issue?

Grub out!