DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The torque curve (or lack thereof) looks great. I am a little curious about the sudden spike in A/F right after the 5k mark though. I'll have to ask Mike about that tomorrow.
That my friend, according to Mike and Josh, is the reality of the new plastic dual runner intake manifolds. It shows up on a dyno and is reflective of the runners changing over. The only intake that won't do that is the aluminum 6.1, but you lose out on a little torque down low.

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs.....
Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:44
TaderzNgravy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef2011 View Post
That my friend, according to Mike and Josh, is the reality of the new plastic dual runner intake manifolds. It shows up on a dyno and is reflective of the runners changing over. The only intake that won't do that is the aluminum 6.1, but you lose out on a little torque down low.

The 5.7 car manifold doesn't have that either. I didn't realize that the switch was that high up in rpm. Maybe I'll have to snag that 6.4 intake for my charger
Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

Well don't hesitate too long my friend! I have a few offers but seeming as you're right there, you may as well just grab it and save me the shipping hassle!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:527
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

That's Odd

Ripp'd 5.7L with stock intake was silky smoooooth , flat torque for most of the pull
and HP still climbing when we shut her down for fear of running lean at 5750 rpm....
I Guess that's due to boost over 7psi

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-01-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Yup, boost can defintely smooth things over!

But like I said in an earlier post, my Ram will be hitting the dyno again since Josh felt he could do more once we had a few more parameters opened up.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:55 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I don't mean to rain on your builder who seems to have done such a wonderful job for you but I'm not sold on the 6.4 and 5.7 having identical intake runners. If that were the case these guys running the 6.4 cams in their 5.7 wouldn't be having so much trouble with low end power. The cam in a 6.4 has a 280 split dur which would call for a 4.10 gear and 3000-3500 stall to say the least with a 6.1 intake. It's not the lift that determines your gear, it's the duration specs of the cam. In other words I can run a 225 dur cam with a 630 lift an a 3.92 gear would be fine. But bump that up to 280 dur and you're going to suck out the hole with an automatic trans and stock converter. A 280 on up would be a good 4 speed cam or high stall speed auto. In the real world, a 280 is borderline automatic camshaft imo. That's where the 6.4 active intake runners come in to play on the 392, it compensates for the high dur. I haven't heard of the 5.7 having the same design and I haven't seen any successful 6.4 installs in 5.7 either. Could it be your builder is just trying to make you happy? Not trying to offend you or bum you out for sure, just sounds strange that I've never heard this until your build. I don't know what dur cam BRH and Fastfred are running but I would think they lower than a 6.4 280 dur and they having to gear up and high T/C down. All said, your build is beautiful so it doesn't matter. You can always try the new 2014 6.4 HD intake when they become available.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I never said the two maifolds were identical, I just said they were plastic and featured dual runners. I'm fully aware that I'm probably leaving 10whp on the table by not switching over to the 6.4 manifold. But that is also dependent on tuning, and right now tuning is not able to alter the point at which the runners switch. So, the 6.1 manifold becomes an easier solution because you don't have to sweat the tuning.

But if you haven't noticed by now, this is my build and my builders are taking my direction. My direction is not to obtain the best dyno, whatever that may mean. Hell, I kept the mechanical fan and 5.7 manifold for the stock stealth look knowing that I'd be sacrificing a few ponies. But I don't drag race and I'm no dyno queen. I wanted a torque monster, killer street truck and that's just what I got thus far.

And really people, that little change over blip on a dyno run is absolutely not felt while driving. On a dyno, it takes over 15 seconds to go from 3K to 6.5K. When actually driving, you're way faster than that.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I'll post up the next dyno after Josh and Diablosport have had some time to discuss their processing parameters.

I knew going into this thread that there would be those that would criticize, but let's not start hurling accusations about Josh and Mike as builders just telling me things to make me happy. It belittles their abilities and it shits on my desire to build my Ram, my way.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:19 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Pffft, don't kid yourself, those guys don't know what they're talking about, both Josh and Mike are useless and nobody should be spending any money on them at all It's time I sent Mike's trans back and get my money from Josh for tuning my truck... I'll apparently never get what I want out of the deal.

Keep the build yours, I'm loving the way this thing is going; though I really would have gotten rid of that clutch fan, it's such a PITA to deal with.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:26 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'll post up the next dyno after Josh and Diablosport have had some time to discuss their processing parameters.

I knew going into this thread that there would be those that would criticize, but let's not start hurling accusations about Josh and Mike as builders just telling me things to make me happy. It belittles their abilities and it shits on my desire to build my Ram, my way.
A little harsh there don't you think? I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing you bro, calm down. I clearly said I wasn't trying to rain on your builder. So I read your post wrong, what's the big deal? Just like I did your oil cooler explantion I never saw. So you mad bro, lol? You have what no one else has on this forum. Would you like me to blow you kisses, I will if you want me too. My next questions would have been asking for knowledge of the intake runners. No big deal bra, I would never intentionally disrespect any builder. All said, do you still think I was criticizing you? If so you can have your build all to yourself. I won't ask or comment anything on it.