DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mattfritz is on a distinguished road
Default uconnect 8.4an displaying mp3's as unknown artist etc...

I have copied thousands of mp3's to my sd card, and some of the songs are being placed into a folder called unknown. I noticed this when i browse artists on my uconnect system. I have tagged all my mp3's correctly using windows media player, which displays everything correctly. However, when i copy to the sd card and plug into uconnect some of the files (600) are placed into an unknown folder category that the uconnect database creates. Anyone have ani dea why and how this can be corrected?

This makes no sense to me because all the mp3's belong to the same cd, and most of those mp3's will be fine, just one or two will not be read correctly. I really don't want to remove the tags for each mp3 file, and manually tag them again using a different tagging application. Very, very time consuming!!!
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road

Uconnect (and all media players for that matter) do not move or rearrange your files. Each MP3 has header information that includes the artist, title and album. When you insert the SD/USB stick, the radio will scan this header information and build a library of everything on the disk that it can read. This is why it takes awhile to access your music the first time you install the card.

Windows would have done the same thing when you first set up media player. Windows also lets you set tags like genre, composer, mood, etc. Windows only keeps this in its library - the information is not encoded in the actual music file, so uconnect can't read it.

If your files are showing as <unknown>, it is because the information was not encoded when the original music file was created. This is very common if you ever used Napster or any of the other download music sources in the past. It is also common to get the same artist listed with multiple spellings. Different people all over the world did different things. (I've got some songs with tags in German)

If you have a folder named "unknown" when you hit the browse button, then folders it will be because your computer has this same folder. Most likely at some point you imported music from an external device. Windows would have tried to read the album to make a folder for it, but when it was not there it decided to throw it in a folder called unknown.

I've done most of my music saving manually over the years. My PC has a folder called Music. Under that I have a mixture of folders artist and album names. There is also a Misc folder for all of my one off songs gathered from various places over the years. This is exactly how it shows in Folders in the truck, but if I select artist instead - the library will compile all of the songs by that artist regardless of what folder they are physically in on the SD card.

There are editors that let you edit the header information. I went through years ago because it was annoying having the same artist under multiple spellings. I never bothered fixing the album names on the one-off songs, so many of those still show up as unknown. I have not done this in years, but a quick search points me to this one.

http://download.cnet.com/Mp3tag/3000...-10313616.html
Old 07-19-2013, 05:12 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

What tev9999 said. Use a good MP3 tag editor like the one he referenced (MP3Tag) Also google MP3Gain, this will allow you to set the MP3 audio gain all the same on all your tracks allowing each track to have the same volume level.

Also look at a program called Media Monkey and think about using it and getting rid of media player.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road

Will MP3 gain bulk process around 1000 MP3s? I have the volume issue, but am way too lazy to search out the problem files.

I need to pickup a new SD card as the ones I have laying around are not big enough to hold everything - I just dumped part of my stuff to a 2GB I had laying around. I also need to rip a bunch of CDs I never got around to. Might as well clean everything up all at once.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 CCSB CTD
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:6
phobos512 is an unknown quantity at this point

MP3Gain does bulk processing, yes. Used it many times. Also, I have in the past used Magic MP3 Tagger http://www.magic-tagger.com/eng/index.php to do the tags...works great and for the most part is fully automated. Some songs you'll have to correct though.