DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
2010Ram is on a distinguished road
Default To lift or not to lift

Hey everyone, kinda new to the truck scene and I'm not sure where to go with this.. I want to put in a 4" rough country on my 2010 crew cab. I have a leveling kit and rims and tires already (18" rockstars with 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ) and I don't know whether I should or not. It's my daily driver, but I do occasionally take to the mud and get dirty. I just want to know if there is any problems or what I should expect with running a lift.. Such as being harder on tires, u joints etc. and do I need anything other then a lift? I see stuff about high angle driveshafts, is that something I will need if I'm only going 4"? And the real kicker, what's the difference in fuel going to be? I drive a hemi, not a Prius I know.. Just want to know what kind of difference I will end up with. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks guys
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Honestly, a leveling kit is just as hard on front end parts as a lift kit if not harder. A lift kit comes with differential drop brackets, longer spindles, and parts like that to make the suspension set up as close to stock as possible, just higher. As far as U-joints and drive shaft angles go the kit should put those within spec as well. So you should be good. Your larger tires are what will be the hardest on everything.

If you only want to go with a 4" kit I would recommend Zone over RCX. The Rough Country kit only gives you coil spacers to lift the rear while the Zone kit gives you new lift coils. That's a way better option IMO. A 3" coil spacer is definitely not something I'd put on my truck....

As far as fuel economy goes you shouldn't lose too much. Yes there will be a big of a drop because you'll be pushing more wind. But the biggest drop in fuel economy is from tires which you already have. So it won't be too drastic.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 07-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:25
Bulldawg1359 is on a distinguished road

My humble opinion, is not lifting. Especially since its your everyday driver. Yeah its fun to take her into a little mud on the weekends but I just don't think is worth it when you cant go in parking garages, cant find a buyer that will pay for what you put in, and/or lose general simplicity of driving. Plus the mpg is gonna drop. I stick with the leveling kit.
Source: past experience.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i have only lifted jeeps. make sure kit has all you need. not sure where the cut off is "height wise" where yo start changing the geometry to u joints, universal joints just to name a few components. you will take a hit on mpg due to more wind resistance underneath your truck.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Mineral grey
Rep:10
2010Ram is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot for your opinions, I never thought of the zone lift having new springs. Didn't really look into it because I know a guy who can get me wicked deals on rough country stuff. As for the parking garage issue, I don't go anywhere with my truck that I would need to get into one anyways, that's what cars are for. And I don't plan on selling the truck until there's nothing left of it to salvage anyway. But I appreciate both opinions, thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright white
Rep:435
Outlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really niceOutlaw is just really nice

Lift!!

Then buy a cheap beater car for mpg.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:57 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:15
Kdubag is on a distinguished road

I have a 4" lift on my 2010. I don't really see the ECO much on the display much any more. Stock tires without lift, I could get 20-21 mpg on the freeway. Now with the lift and 34" tires on 20" XD wheels, I may get about 17-18 mpg on the freeway. But I don't drive much anyways.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

also check brake lines to see if they are long enough for the lift you choose.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:18
Crazycanuck7403 is on a distinguished road

dont forget stool or step ladder for gf/wife to get into truck now lol
Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
also check brake lines to see if they are long enough for the lift you choose.
Most kits come with new brackets for the brake lines to extend them down further. Otherwise they include brake lines with the kit. It's not something you have to worry about buying separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycanuck7403 View Post
dont forget stool or step ladder for gf/wife to get into truck now lol
Nah, she's gotta figure out how to get up there man! I'm putting a 6" RCX lift on my truck pretty quick and one of my friends already said that I should have a sticker made saying, "If you can't get up in it, you don't deserve to be in it"

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's