DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn Crew
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Xplicit-Image is on a distinguished road
Smile Need Help!!! Towing?

Hey Guys, I just picked up my Ram last Oct. It is a 2012 1500 Crew. I know there are lots of trends about towing and different set-ups. Long story short I just picked up a 30 foot ATV trailer and am planing putting around six full size machines on it, so the first problem is that i will need to stop it. I was thinking of going with the factory brake controller but some say the T3 is the way to go. Need opinions please. The second thing is i just pulled my 20 foot ATV trailer with 5 machines on it and noticed with a full bed of gear i was sitting a little low in the back. So was thinking of adding some bags in the back.... Just dont know which way to go.. Really like the TLC system but its big money. Will the Air Lift system be good enough ?
thanks for any help/suggestions
Ryan
Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

I have an airlift 1000 in my truck and pull a 25 foot travel trailer which weighs 4,000 empty, so max about 5,500 loaded and it sits pretty level.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hey thanks LeftCoast for the info. How long have you had them in? Do they seem to be holding up well? I guess i am just a little stuck on making up my mind as to what to go with. Really like to TLC set up but for the Maybe six times a year i will be pulling is the money worth it.?.?. Do you run a brake controller?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

I have not run either air bag system, but have decided to go with the Air Lift.

But... I already bought the TLC! So, if you decide you want the TLC, check the classifieds, I've got a TLC kit there, bought last week, still in the box, to your door for $350.

- DAA
Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

A load leveling hitch might be a help to you as well. I don't know what is available for aftermarket shocks for the 2013, but I have been very pleased with the Rancho 9000's on my 05 Ram. Crank em to full firmness for towing and you can dial em back for everyday driving. I had my Dodge dealer put them on when my truck was new, at 185,000 miles they are still good.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Vehicle: 2014 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:12
sandawilliams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplicit-Image View Post
Hey thanks LeftCoast for the info. How long have you had them in? Do they seem to be holding up well? I guess i am just a little stuck on making up my mind as to what to go with. Really like to TLC set up but for the Maybe six times a year i will be pulling is the money worth it.?.?. Do you run a brake controller?
I would recommend buying a WDH for this setup. Weight displacement through the pickup does wonders. Our coil spring rear axles do squat even well within the tow rating. As far as brake controllers I prefer the hayes models- easy install and infinite adjustment capabilities. And MADE IN USA! I would never pull your trailer with the ATV's without trailer brakes and in most states it is the law. I have the TLC system on my truck because I pull near capacity. 25000 miles towing with the system and brake controller and no problems. If I towed occasionally I would not suggest investing in any other rear suspension upgrades as it is not cost effective.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
I have not run either air bag system, but have decided to go with the Air Lift.

But... I already bought the TLC! So, if you decide you want the TLC, check the classifieds, I've got a TLC kit there, bought last week, still in the box, to your door for $350.

- DAA
thanks DAA, ya i will definitely check them out. If i was to pick those up from you how would payment work?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
A load leveling hitch might be a help to you as well. I don't know what is available for aftermarket shocks for the 2013, but I have been very pleased with the Rancho 9000's on my 05 Ram. Crank em to full firmness for towing and you can dial em back for everyday driving. I had my Dodge dealer put them on when my truck was new, at 185,000 miles they are still good.
thanks hydrex. ya i have been thinking about a WDH and i had a set of rancho on my silverado loved them.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandawilliams View Post
I would recommend buying a WDH for this setup. Weight displacement through the pickup does wonders. Our coil spring rear axles do squat even well within the tow rating. As far as brake controllers I prefer the hayes models- easy install and infinite adjustment capabilities. And MADE IN USA! I would never pull your trailer with the ATV's without trailer brakes and in most states it is the law. I have the TLC system on my truck because I pull near capacity. 25000 miles towing with the system and brake controller and no problems. If I towed occasionally I would not suggest investing in any other rear suspension upgrades as it is not cost effective.
Hope this helps.
it dose help, thanks sanda! ya i will have to check into the hayes models controller. I don't do as much towing as you but still feel that i could use something to aid in the rear for when i am towing and have a bed full of gear.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

It sounds like a WDH is in definitely in order. Get that set and then figure out the airbags for the load in the bed.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!