DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
FromFordtoRAM is on a distinguished road
Default BBK headers on the 4X4, anyone made it work??

OK, I've had 3 conversations with the tech people at BBK and none of them could tell me exactly why they don't fit the 4X4. Only that it has something to do with the passenger side and their people couldn't make it work. They don't plan on making the adjustments for it to work either! They all did say that some people have made it work. I'm looking for those people!! Has anyone read on here or heard of somebody making it fit? I really don't wanna pay double for the JBA. Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

I'm bumping this in the hope that someone has something.....

Grub out!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

What exactly is the 4x4 issue anyway?
I haven't looked at one but the short headers are tucked up so tight to the motor I can't picture what they might hit.
On the driver side they're inside the steering shaft and even the dipstick....I can't imagine any 4wd components being in that spot. Same on the passenger side...they're tucked in nice and tight.
What in the world is there that they might hit?
Here's my passenger side JBA....there's a ton of room between it and the 2wd suspension.
What does a 4x4 look like in that area?

Last edited by UNBROKEN; 10-23-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNBROKEN View Post
What exactly is the 4x4 issue anyway?
I haven't looked at one but the short headers are tucked up so tight to the motor I can't picture what they might hit.
On the driver side they're inside the steering shaft and even the dipstick....I can't imagine any 4wd components being in that spot. Same on the passenger side...they're tucked in nice and tight.
What in the world is there that they might hit?
Here's my passenger side JBA....there's a ton of room between it and the 2wd suspension.
What does a 4x4 look like in that area?

That's the messed up part about it. Nobody I've talked to over at BBK can tell me the exact issue! Only that they brought in a few different 4X4's and couldn't get them to fit. They also said that some have gotten them to work but most have not. I don't get it either.
BTW, did you ever get a sound bite up with your new exhaust? I'd love to hear it!!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:12 PM

Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

It's truly sad that in this day n' age, the manufacturer of a product - not a vendor - cannot give a definitive answer to a straight forward question/concern from a potential buyer/s.

I have JBA headers and have been sitting on them for at least a couple of months for personal reasons; one of those reasons was I hoping to see what BBK Performance had to offer based on positive feedback from the LS1 and Stang boards.

Shame on you BBK....

Grub out!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
It's truly sad that in this day n' age, the manufacturer of a product - not a vendor - cannot give a definitive answer to a straight forward question/concern from a potential buyer/s.

I have JBA headers and have been sitting on them for at least a couple of months for personal reasons; one of those reasons was I hoping to see what BBK Performance had to offer based on positive feedback from the LS1 and Stang boards.

Shame on you BBK....

So Grub, were you gonna return the JBA's if the BBK's worked? No need to answer, just wondering. Also, what do think it could possibly be with the BBK fitment. How much different from the JBA could they really be?? I'd love to have both in my hands to figure it out! The big question is how in the world do we find these infamous people who've made it work? Obviously not here, so where??!!!
BTW, I did it again. Right about time order the scoop for my S&B, when out of nowhere 'FENDER FLARES' pop into my head!! So know I've got Stampede Rough Rider Fender Flares ,( Part #* 8421-2) getting ready to ship! Ok, NEXT MOD IS THE SCOOP, probably...
Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:

Shame on you BBK....

So Grub, were you gonna return the JBA's if the BBK's worked? No need to answer, just wondering. Also, what do think it could possibly be with the BBK fitment. How much different from the JBA could they really be?? I'd love to have both in my hands to figure it out! The big question is how in the world do we find these infamous people who've made it work? Obviously not here, so where??!!!
BTW, I did it again. Right about time order the scoop for my S&B, when out of nowhere 'FENDER FLARES' pop into my head!! So now I've got Stampede Rough Rider Fender Flares ,( Part #* 8421-2) getting ready to ship! Ok, NEXT MOD IS THE SCOOP, probably...
Old 10-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromFordtoRAM View Post
BTW, I did it again. Right about time order the scoop for my S&B, when out of nowhere 'FENDER FLARES' pop into my head!! So now I've got Stampede Rough Rider Fender Flares ,( Part #* 8421-2) getting ready to ship! Ok, NEXT MOD IS THE SCOOP, probably...
I've read one or two issues with the JBA Cat4ward headers on these boards and the like, so I've held off installing them. The BBK has a good name on the LS1 boards and the Stang guys talk about them at higher praise so I wanted to give them a try in the hope of eliminating the glitches.

I really don't know what the issues could be but it's clearly a fitment issue. I'm assuming the BBK has more of a 'flange' to it in comparison the the JBA's and is not as compact, and hence impedes with something....and I'm just throwing that out there.

Of course BBK can put these assumptions to rest. If only....

Grub out!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I've read one or two issues with the JBA Cat4ward headers on these boards and the like, so I've held off installing them. The BBK has a good name on the LS1 boards and the Stang guys talk about them at higher praise so I wanted to give them a try in the hope of eliminating the glitches.

I really don't know what the issues could be but it's clearly a fitment issue. I'm assuming the BBK has more of a 'flange' to it in comparison the the JBA's and is not as compact, and hence impedes with something....and I'm just throwing that out there.

Of course BBK can put these assumptions to rest. If only....

I called AGAIN!!! This time I told the gentleman that DOZENS of people are wanting to buy these instead of JBA, for both price and good name. He promptly put me on hold because the guy who tried to fit them on the 4X4's was there. After several minutes on hold, he finally came back with the answer(kind of!). The fitment issue is with 2 metal tabs on the A arms. Unfortunately, he also told me that some people have gotten them to work with zero fabrication and some with minor fabrication. I'd be willing to bet that if you have a levelling kit, these problems would be fine because the angle of the A arm is more downward. If only somebody would come forward that has these headers on their truck!!!

What are the issues with the JBA that you've heard??
Old 10-27-2012, 02:26 AM

First let me say I've had JBA Cat4ward® System headers one time before. Absolutely no issues from fit to finish and made a great sounding Borla exhaust sound truly amazing and showed immediate and obvious HP and throttle gains; so I'm by no means hating.

A few issues I've read [on various boards] from several people about --

First is that some [very few] people have thrown a CEL following installation. Of the people who have thrown a code, one thing seems to be a common denominator: that being the CEL has appeared some time after installation [usually a couple of weeks or more] with no additional mods added in between.

Next is that many have not seen the HP gains that they anticipated; though just about all say throttle response is definitive and exhaust tone is loder though not much deeper [throatier]. Of course, these are relative to what other mods are installed, I understand. Yes, they're shorties, but nonetheless they ARE free-er flowing than the fireplace log that we now have [OEM], so just by judging the appearence of the two alone, obvious and evident HP gains are anticipated; as they rightfully should be. These same folks also claim that without a tuner [canned or custom], these headers only give the prior [notorious] 2012 Ram throttle lag a band-aid solution at best. Throttle response is vastly improved, they all agree, but throttle lag is not completely eliminated. Many wish they had waited until a tune was available prior to purchase/install.

Those who have installed the 409 Stainless Steel finish claim that after a few short weeks of use, they discolor terribly and look NOTHING like the day they installed them. Yes, JBA does claim in the product's description that this model will "discolor some," but judging by the general consensus of those who have them, JBA's a little reserved and generous with their description.

A small school of owners claim the heat dissipation and generation of these headers is anything but impressive. I can attest to this somewhat as I too saw obvious and excessive heat generation under the hood since and prior to installing my Cat4Ward Shorties in my recently departed Stang [model 1675SJS]. It was EXTREMELY evident and apparent during the most recent summer we had here. I did have the JBA Cat4wards for a VERY brief time in my 05' GTO but not long enough for an accurate evaluation/opinion. I ended up with Kooks LT headers.

Finally the price. With a List Price of app. 1K [plus or minus depending on the finish you select] these are NOT cheap in comparison to the competition. Let's call a spade, a spade here. Shorty headers, regardless of the finish and/or what brand name is stamped on them, should NOT be priced much more than app. $500.00.... at best, IMHO.

I purchased my headers [JBA 1961S-2JS] from a guy on Craig's List back this past summer who resided in Little Rock, AS. He advertised them as recently purchased but he totaled his truck prior to installation so he was selling them brand-new in the box. They cost me just under $460.00 delivered and I was VERY skeptical as to the guy's authenticity given his asking price in comparison to the RRP.... but he did deliver. Brand new, unopened in the box they were. That price is app. $200.00 less than anyone else will sell them to you for [Google it], so I'm holding off installing them in case I want to flip them for something else that won't give me the issues above. I'll make up my mind once winter's over with and just sit on them until then.... or until BBK pulls their finger out and give us a definitive answer.

Let me end by saying that for every person who has some type of issue with the JBA Cat4ward® Shorty Headers for our 4TH Gen trucks, there at least another one - or often more - who is COMPLETLY satisfied with their purchase and praises them.... and would do it again two-fold.

I'm just not a big risk taker so I'll wait a tad more. and see what happens

Cheers and thanks for reading.

Grub out!