DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram SLT
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:10
wall23b is on a distinguished road
Default 2014 Sport Boeschbuilt 18"

Hey,

Can anyone tell me if the below exhaust is worth the purchase or not ?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BoeschBuilt-1...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Thanks !
Mark
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:33
DetroitDoc is on a distinguished road

Mark,

My understanding is this is the same as the popular Mufflex retrofit kit except it uses better quality stainless steel pipes, better quality clamps and supposedly is a better fit.

It turns out this guy's shop is right by me. I called and talked to him today. I'm going to his shop to pick up the 18" version right after work. I'll take some pictures and do a write up.

Doc
Old 08-25-2014, 02:57 PM

Perfect ! Thanks, let me know how it works out and how much work it really is to put on. Based on your results will make my decision :-)
Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
pld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall23b View Post
Perfect ! Thanks, let me know how it works out and how much work it really is to put on. Based on your results will make my decision :-)
Mark, my wife was born in Twilingate, Newfoundland. The boeschbuilt systems are #1 in quality and they're just across the Detroit river where I live in Windsor.
2013 black Ram Sport----------- CAI- T-304 polished Solo Performance Mach 40 system with resonator's deleted- 5"X12" MBRP polished tip's- Hemifever tune-BT catch can-180 degree T-stat-Ported 87mm throttle body-Cooper discoverer AT3 tires

Last edited by pld; 08-25-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 08-26-2014, 12:02 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:33
DetroitDoc is on a distinguished road

OK I'm hoping to do a write up in the next couple days but here's a little update on the Boesch Built system.

I stopped by the owner's new shop. They are in the process of moving from Waterford to Highland which is just a few miles down the road. Matt the owner showed me around the new shop he's setting up.

He's a super nice guy. His whole business is based around fabrication. This isn't a muffler shop. He used to work for NASCAR and now is doing his own fabrication for various products.

The pipes are 304 stainless which is very high quality stainless that will not rust. The clamps appeared to be high quality units. In fact I think they might be the same as the OEM ones on the stock muffler. The pipes are TIG welded onto the muffler. That's something I didn't expect to see.

I went with the 18 inch version. The install was pretty straight forward. Just expect to spend a little time wrestling the old muffler out. The tips aligned perfectly and I had no leaks. I did use some high temp RTV just to be safe.

Here's my review of the sound. Keep in mind that I only took one very short drive and sound is very subjective. Also remember this is the 18" version.

Startup / Idle - I'd say the sound level is very similar to stock. It's a very different sound though. It's much deeper and sounds much better in my opinion. I'm actually glad it wasn't too loud at idle because I often leave at 5:00 AM in the morning for work and don't want to piss off the neighbors when I use my remote start and let her warm up for a minute.

Rev - this is where you first realize there is a big difference in the sound. I think the stock muffler has a pretty loud idle for a stock truck. But when you rev with the stock muffler the only sound that increases is the engine/mechanical noise. The exhaust volume doesn't increase at all and is drowned out by the engine/mechanical noise. The magnaflow sounds way better. You get a really nice exhaust note.

Cruising - Cruising is pretty quiet. For the most part I'd say it's near stock. I did a quick freeway jaunt and I did notice from 65 - 70 it was a bit louder. I think this is what people are calling drone. I've owned and ridden in some very loud cars that had very bad drone. It's definitely not like that. It wasn't bad at all but I'll have to spend some more time on the highway to decide if it's going to bother me or not. Keep in mind my test ride was a couple miles, only 1 of which was highway. I'll report back after I spend some more time on the highway.

Mild acceleration - I'm talking about pulling out and accelerating normally, going up a steeper hill when the trans kicks down or giving it just a little gas to go around someone. These are accelerations in the 2,000 - 2,500 RPM range. This is actually quite a bit louder in the cab than I expected it to be. If there was one place I wish it was just a little milder (at least inside the cab), it's probably here.

Full Throttle - Again, it's a little louder than I expected but here I think that's a good thing. I don't mind it being aggressive here.

MDS - I think I heard it a couple times but it doesn't bother me at all. I know some people are really sensitive to it. Maybe it's because my 2012 Grand Cherokee with stock exhaust has a much more noticeable MDS exhaust note, but I don't think it's any issue with this exhaust. In fact I'd say MDS on this exhaust is quieter than my 2012 Grand Cherokee with the stock exhaust.

I'm looking forward to driving it over the next few days and getting a better feel for it.

Last edited by DetroitDoc; 08-26-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld View Post
Mark, my wife was born in Twilingate, Newfoundland. The boeschbuilt systems are #1 in quality and they're just across the Detroit river where I live in Windsor.
Perfect thanks for the info ! NFLD rocks haha
Old 09-04-2014, 01:01 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
gopackgo69 is on a distinguished road

I would say the price is ok, except for the $72 shipping. Also its a Magnaflow muffler. The mufflex is basically the same with $19 shipping.

Last edited by gopackgo69; 09-04-2014 at 01:04 AM.