DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: n/a
Rep:10
twales is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Dodge 2500 4x4 v10 purchase

Hello from Nashville,
Sorry if I post this in the wrong forum. I am going to cross post in the newbie section. Mods if this doesn't belong here please delete or message me and I will be happy too.

The wife and I are going to check out a 99 dodge 2500 v10 4x4 manual tranny this weekend with just over 200k miles. We plan on using this for a tow rig (6-8000lbs) for our trail rig 88RRC. We may use this some on the weekends but probably not since I have my 03 tundra for that. We wouldn't be putting many miles per year and wouldn't be pulling very heavy loads either.

The guy selling says the clutch was just replaced along with a full brake job and a new battery. He says the truck drives very well and didn't mention any issues in his CL ad. I have been reading up the last few days on these trucks and if the vehicle checks out and we can come to a meeting point on his price we may just add to our vehicle family. He is asking 4500 obo on his price so I feel there is probably some wiggle room due to the mileage.

From what I have read 200k + miles isn't unheard of on these motors and as long as general maintenance is done on a regular basis they are fairly stout/reliable. We honestly don't care about fuel mileage and from what I have read it can be anywhere around 7-10 while towing and maybe 10-12 while empty. My 4.7 v-8 tundra can pull my trail-rig now but I would want something with a more stout running gear and more power. I know this isn't a diesel and honestly I know nothing of those anyways. I feel this vehicle will do what we need it to do and hopefully fairly trouble free.

Is there anything we should look out for while doing the walk around/test drive this weekend? I know the basics and I plan on crawling around under the vehicle and checking out the engine bay really well.

Sorry for the long post but this dodge would be a whole new animal to me.

Thanks for reading.

Ty

Last edited by twales; 06-04-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: may have posted in wrong forum.
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: Express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
Cheatham is on a distinguished road

did you buy it ??
Old 12-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1995 V10 Ram 2500 47rh
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white& silver
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:35
grandpav10 is on a distinguished road

dude that is an awesome truck, i hope you made the purchase. that v10 and manual trans should do the job you need to for years to come.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge V10
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
tinykenny is on a distinguished road

I have 412 thou on mine, never gives up. Be nice, maintain, and it should take care of you. Only issue I've had is the 4 coil injector pack goes. 120$ and 10 mins later no problem. It'll run on 6 cylinders if it has to.