DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:10
HeavyWater is on a distinguished road
Default Starting Build on 14 Quad Cab..hoping audiophiles can chime in.

Hi all,

So my bone stock Quad cab is about ready to receive some upgrades, just trying to figure out where to start.

I'd like to keep the stock head unit as the Uconnect works great for what I need (integrated rear camera, Audio replaying/responding to SMS TXT, Bluetooth, etc.). I want to replace the factory speakers with aftermarket ones as well as add a sub/amp. Problem is, I don't have the capability to do an entire rip/replace. I'm thinking of purchasing first, either the fronts, backs or amp. Then over time, replace another until everything has been upgraded.

I was thinking of starting out with replacing the rear doors with these from crutchfield:

Kicker 40CS654 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

I like fosgates or kickers for speakers as I've used them in the past and have been pleased with them.

I have already purchased/installed the BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit to setup for my amp install.

So my questions to the audiophiles are this:

1.) Which component should I replace first? Then second, etc.?
2.) Can you recommend an amp? My requirements are that I'm not looking to be in a sound off competition, I would just like to be able to properly power my system. On a side note, I'd like to be able to bypass the subwoofer, if want to listen to some music where the bass drowns out the music. Not looking to drop tons of cash on it either.
3.) I've been reading that I may have to rewire the stock lines going to the speakers as the gauge may not be suffice?

Thoughts?

Appreciate any feedback!
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
thmupr is on a distinguished road

Start with the fronts.. doors and dash, or components... then add the amps and subs. Back doors last...
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road

exactly; front doors, dash, sub. only amp you need is for sub when you get there. if you put proper low power requirements speakers on factory power you wont need front stage amp unless you wanna get loud which isnt your mission. with factory power speakers the sub can come in around 400wrms which keeps cost way down on sub/amp combo. Can go sinlge 10 or 12.
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road

If you do wanna go full amplified then your cheating yourself by going in stages. Wait until you have all gear and install all at once. All the staged installs ive ever started turned to 2,500 full installs within two weeks. Systems just dont sound good with one section great and rest sub par.
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
thmupr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyWV View Post
If you do wanna go full amplified then your cheating yourself by going in stages. Wait until you have all gear and install all at once. All the staged installs ive ever started turned to 2,500 full installs within two weeks. Systems just dont sound good with one section great and rest sub par.
I agree with Stoney about the staged building.. If you choose to do it in installed stages, expect your new speakers to possibly sound worse than stock until you get the amp installed. I have seen this happen many times as well. If you can wait till you get all the equipment you would be happier!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2004 2500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:14
iceberg65 is on a distinguished road

Doing certain sections of an install one at a time is just fine if the funds are an issue. It also helps spread out the time it takes to install it. It lets you individually see what each improved component of the stereo brings to the table. But I also kinda like tinkering with this stuff so having to pull paneling apart or seats out more then once doesn't bother me.

I did my install in sections, started with all the speakers since I had em sitting in my garage already waiting for some use. Then I did the Headunit after deciding which one I wanted to go with. Then I did my speaker amplifier which really brought together all that I had already done. At this point I started constructing the sub box. Then last I put in the sub and amp to fill in the bottom end. To be honest, the amplified components did very well on their own. I did it this way because I generally just dont get huge blocks of free time to drop on installing everything at once.

Now if you are having someone install it for you then getting it all done at once is worth doing.

As for an amplifier recommendation. A Precision Power P900.5 would provide some nice well rounded power to a full system in a small package at a decent price. It does support use of a remote gain knob which allows you to adjust the bass level on the fly.

As far as rewiring for speakers, It depends on what kind of power you are running, 60wrms should be fine going through stock wires, 100w I would start looking at replacing. But if you have the know how and extra bucks for beefier wiring it is probably worthwhile regardless.

Last edited by iceberg65; 11-26-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 14' Nightmare Express Ram
StrikeSwiftly is on a distinguished road

OP,

You stated that you planned on keeping your stock HU. I Have an Express and I do actually like the factory options I have. I would not mind having steering wheel controls but I can get over that. So when you go to put you an amp in, either towards the speakers or subs how are you going to adapt to work with the factory HU?

When you do adapt are you going to loose any factory features you currently have after adding adapter?
Old 11-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2004 2500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:14
iceberg65 is on a distinguished road

For adding an aftermarket amp you just need to use a Line Out converter or but an amp that can accept high level inputs. It just get the signal from a tap off the speaker wires.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Sh0rtBus is on a distinguished road

Sub'd. Would like to have better audio than stock. Not that it's terrible, but I can out of a '14 Grand Cherokee with the 9-speaker Alpine audio and I can definitely tell the difference. Would like to get somewhere close to that in the truck.