DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My New VARARAM Install review -

10K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
I got mine installed yesterday :smileup:

There are a few things I noticed during installation that must be different on the 12 and under trucks than on the 2013 and in general:

1. The horn is not where the instructions show it, so you don't have to move the harness (I took it loose then figured this out so just put it back)
2. Instructions tell you to have a 10mm socket, nothing on my kit or was removed that was 10mm. I assume this was for the nuts on the clamps but the ones I got were not 10mm.
3. It appears that you are suppose to leave the plastic engine cover off, but I found no reason to do that other than the PCV relocation, so I just kept the stock pipe and put the filter on the end. drilled a hole at the end and wire tied the tube up so that there is no movement. I will cut it down once I'm sure I like the CAI. This allows the cover to go back on and hide all the none decorative crap under it.
4. I don't like the way the air sensor just pokes in the rubber boot. Actually mine fell out twice while installing, so I put a couple dabs of cement to hold it in place. I think there can be a simple manufactured solution for this.
5. The unit does not seal against the Sport Hood. A taller boot is not a cure for the areas that miss. See PDF picture - The gasket will have to have "Wings" that fall into the voids on the insulation. I'm not sure this is a big deal for everyday use since 50% or more of the CAI are exposed to engine temps in one way or another, so at least outside air is directed into it.
6. Most of all I think this CAI is bad ass looking!! :SHOCKED:I hope its FREE TOO
7. Install is very easy, and mine sits level, AC hose pushed up on it some, but I bent the fender mount about 1/4" and that took care of it!!
8. I love the Orange Lid, but it clashes with the red truck. May have to find someone to give it a cool paint job!!

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Grubrunner
#4 ·
Sweet! Notice any difference driving?
I drove it in to work this morning at varying speeds to reset the computer so I should no something this afternoon. You know how it is though, probably not much difference but I know its there so I CAN FEEL IT lol - we will see.

#6 ·
I have the 6 speed - I have no interferences other than noted for the AC line that runs just near the T-Body, which I bent the mounting bracket down.

#7 ·
I beg to differ sir but "Hemi Orange" does not clash with any color! It is the perfect accent to any hemi, any year, for all time!
Glad I could clear that up!!
LAUGHOUTLOUD

Reactions: RogerRamJet
#8 · (Edited)
Looks great and if the color bothers you depending on how comfortable you are painting it's really not a very difficult job to do. I paint for a living and have done a lot of under good parts custom for Vette and GTO owners mainly. That already being painted simplifies the process. Just shoot me a pm if you want and I will give you a quick how to and what to use to get a body shop finish for cheap money. Red paint is expensive but it is a pretty simple job you can do from start to finish in a day. Nice thing is you don't need any special tools or equipment.

#13 ·
I may do that but I figured that it can't be that much to drop off at a body shop that may be painting Red at some point.

I love mine for sure. Don't think there is any true way to measure performance as there are so many variables, but it sure doesn't seem to hurt anything!!
I agree, plus it looks cool as crap when you open the sport hood!!

Looks awesome I'm buying mine soon!!
See above :wow:

#15 · (Edited)
@Designflaw - I hit the same things that you highlighted but I have a couple other questions.

I have a 2013 Hemi 8 speed, so I wonder if things are different compared to the 6 speed. There is an extra piece that connects to 3 holes at the bottom but it's not clear to me if it's needed because it doesn't seem to fit properly. The instructions stated that the front shroud wouldn't fit properly without cutting but I didn't find that to be the case. Here's the image with the shroud still attached:

If I take it off the air grabber is just kind of suspended and hits the top of the front radiator:

And here's how it looks if I attach the plastic piece that connects to the three holes in the air grabber. It's a little hard to tell from the photo but it is pushed forward by the radiator a bit. And again, it's not even mentioned in the instructions that it should be attached.

What is the correct way to install that piece, and does it matter if the front shroud is on or off? It's not even mentioned in the instructions and seems out of place when I have it installed.

#17 ·
The shroud should be removed as per step 5 in the instructions to allow for proper intake airflow.

Some customers will cut the shroud out around the air inlet area. If you choose to do this , make sure your cut is 2 -2 1/2inches x the full width of the unit.
If you have any questions give us a call 832-701-7700

#19 ·
Got it, so the point of that piece is to direct air upwards into the intake. Makes sense. I also see now why the instructions mention moving the wiring harness - it's not a clearance issue, it's an airflow issue. That line is right in the way. Is that correct? If so the OP might want to adjust his.

#21 ·
Yes, cutting the shroud with a nice sharp utility knife with many lite cuts works well and gives it an extra factory look.

This technique will ready you for the Cabin-Air mod... if you haven't done that already.

Nice job and enjoy...Matt

#26 ·
I have a 2010 and just ordered this CAI. I am wondering if I can leave the front flap off in the summer when I pull the trailer? I am concerned about a lack of air flow to the rad with the flap on? I know I have to keep the factory thermostat as I tried a 180 and it threw codes! I was going to try a 190 - 195 but I am tired of changing them out! I might also see if I can make a quick release for the flap so when it's really cold here ( - 40 ) the damn thing doesn't freeze up at highway speeds! Any thoughts?

Ed

#28 ·
If you are talking about the flap that hangs over the radiator then no you should leave it. That is what directs air in to the Vararam. It doesn't obstruct the air going to the radiator as much as it redirects some of it. It hangs down at an angle so air still gets to the small portion of the radiator it hangs over. I know in pictures it looks like it completely blocks that part of the radiator but it doesn't.

#27 ·
I installed mine a few weeks ago and I also put the engine cover back on and what I did was at the short elbow portion where they recommend that you put the PCV, you can just adjust it and it will fit right under the cover. I know you loose the visaul of the chrome by for me that did not matter.
Secondly I have to agree with "Spoiler" Hemi orange does not clash with and colour, I have the deep water blue and Hemi orange and I think it looks great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.