DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew-Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black over Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:31
Hardware is on a distinguished road

Outstanding. Thanks!
MODS: BAKFlip F1; Head Rack; WeatherTech mud-flaps, vent visors & bug deflector; Cabella's rear seat cover; cabin air filter; Geno's Grill Quick Release Kit, PIAA Xtreme headlamps (Highs, Lows and Foglamps), WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners.

Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Medic View Post
Today was the in-bed trailer plug and under bed rail light. I just tapped the battery and ground wires off the trailer plug wiring. The LED lights draw so little amperage that even if I forget and leave it on, it shouldn't be a problem unless it runs for days. If I ever find it becoming a problem I will just get an in line timer that will turn it off after a set number of minutes.

Here is a pic of the in-bed placement

And the light placed above it. The blue button is the on-off switch. You can see the rubber grommet that the wire runs through and then ties into the harness coming from the factory bumper plug. It was nice because it all essentially plug and play.

Since I was working in the bed, I went ahead and installed the Bull Ring Anchors. The front four went in fine, but I had to trim the plastic on the back two to make them fit.

Probably a stupid aesthetic thing but I love how the six stake pockets filled with those anchors match up with the bull rings that are in the bed with the gooseneck hitch. I guess it is my truck and as long as I am happy that is what matters right?

And here are the promised pics of where I mounted the heated seat switches.

How is it that you have the lights up there, is the two sided tape they came with strong enough or did you use something else. I'm just wondering when it heats up with the sun if it's going to fall off, I was thinking about doing the same thing I used those lights in green inside the cab but as soon as the heat hit they fell off ?

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Outdoorsman
Color: White and Mineral Gray
Rep:232
Cowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura about

The light was a kit made by Access. It has the 3M Scotch brand exterior mounting tape on it. That is the same kind they use for tape on Vent Visors and similar. If you use a good clean surface, prep with alcohol wipes and the be sure it is completely dry it should last a long time. I had tape on visors on my '99 and they were still holding on after 12 years.

If the ones you had were a cheaper tape then you can replace it. The good 3M stuff is sold at most Wal-Mart's and hardware stores. I usually get a couple rolls and keep them on hand for various projects. I find it with the masking tape most stores.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread
My first Dodge photo thread
Old 06-13-2013, 07:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Medic View Post
The light was a kit made by Access. It has the 3M Scotch brand exterior mounting tape on it. That is the same kind they use for tape on Vent Visors and similar. If you use a good clean surface, prep with alcohol wipes and the be sure it is completely dry it should last a long time. I had tape on visors on my '99 and they were still holding on after 12 years.

If the ones you had were a cheaper tape then you can replace it. The good 3M stuff is sold at most Wal-Mart's and hardware stores. I usually get a couple rolls and keep them on hand for various projects. I find it with the masking tape most stores.
Ok thanks I do have a role of that in the garage.

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Cowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura about

Installed the power tailgate lock last night. Thank goodness that Asur had the instructions for the newer trucks in the forums. I would have been hunting wires for a long time as the kit I was sold did not have any of the updated 2011+ wiring changes. Everything works perfectly now though so I am all smiles.

While I was running the tailgate lock wiring, I also ran the rear winch power cables. I was able to get both the front and the back power cables setup so that they can be tucked behind the bumpers and out of sight unless needed. It was after midnight before I finished so I will take pics today and get them posted.

Additionally, I stole the new 2013 ideas on a third brake light mounted camera and drilled a hole in my third brake light to mount up a camera for hooking up the gooseneck trailers. There was plenty of room to run the wiring and still let the lights work. I may still switch the bulbs to LED to just reduce the potential for any heat, although if I am on the brakes long enough to heat up that bulb that means I am driving in the wrong places, we just don't have that kind of stop and go traffic in South Dakota.

This is the camera I am installing. I had a different camera that I started working with but couldn't adjust the angle to work with the position. This one has the marking lines on the image for distance gauging and is completely adjustable for angles. One of the nice things about having the lockpick is the ability to add extra cameras. Then when you choose that camera view the left stereo controls on the steering wheel can allow you to toggle through the cameras you have added. Once I get them all finished up, I will try and do a short video that shows them off.

I also bought a couple of wireless transmitters for cameras and will try and hook them up with the idea that I could put it on the back of the trailer and have wireless backup camera on the trailer. The literature on them states that there is a 50M range (approx 164 feet). I don't plan to pull anything more than about a 40 foot stock trailer so there should be plenty of range. Hopefully the strength to cover that kind of range will overcome any physical barrier signal loss from the trailer to the truck.

I will be towing the gooseneck while helping a friend move tomorrow so I am going to connect it up and see how it works.

Again I will post up some installation and finished pics after I get home from work to show what I am talking about.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread

Last edited by Cowboy Medic; 06-20-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Been out camping in the Black Hills the last couple of weekends so haven't gotten as much done with the truck. I do have a few pictures of our time in Custer State Park. Most of the pics are from the past weekend, but I had a couple from our previous trip there that were just too good not to share.

Some of the Rams I was looking at.

Bison herd

Antelope

More Tatanka

A couple more Rams, my new one and my brother's 2011 Laramie. We had a blast. This was on the peak as you enter the wildlife loop at Custer State Park.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread
Old 06-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I promised pics of my latests projects, so here goes.

The rear power access for the winch or jumper cables is secured to the frame. When I am not using it, it will tuck up inside the bumper above the hitch. Due to the stiffness of the wiring it will not come out of the little cavity behind the license plate unless I pull it out. Works very slick. I also installed the cutout solenoid and ran it off Aux 3 of the Ram Auxilliary switch panel under the radio. This way there is no power going along those large cables unless I want it to be there.

I really liked the idea of having a third brake light mounted camera like they are offering on the 2013's. I just didn't want to wait. I figured if I screwed up my light housing for the third brake light, they are selling them for about $40.00 on eBay. So I took it out and found that there are large openings around the bulbs that leave plenty of room to put in a camera and still leave everything else functional.

I used a step bit to drill the hole for the camera. I love the step bits for drilling plastics because of how they cut. It makes very clean holes and slowly takes out each layer instead of tourqing the material around the cut trying to cut too much material at once.

Here the camera is in place and the wire lead is coming out the bottom of the picture. As you can see, there is plenty of space between the bulb for the brake light and the camera.

I then zip tied the cable to the cargo light wires to keep tension on the wire and away from the bulb.

The camera is mounted and I applied silicone to seal it. Once it dried good I rubbed off the excess that was smeared around the edges. I had it hooked up before this to get the image where I wanted it.

The light and camera after it is reinstalled.

Here is the view I now have when hooking up a gooseneck trailer. I took a couple of photos hoping that one of them would look clear enough.

Finally a quick shot of my test of the wireless camera transmitters I bought. I felt that it worked pretty good. I just hand wrapped the wires onto the battery posts while I was testing it but it sure seemed to work well.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread

Last edited by Cowboy Medic; 06-21-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

This will be my first time trying anything with video. I tried to show off the camera stuff that I have done with the lockpick. Obviously I don't have a future in television, but hopefully it shows the functionality of the cameras stuff that I have added.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread

Last edited by Cowboy Medic; 06-21-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Considering getting these wheels down the road. Anyone have any experience with them? How easy to keep clean? Any special care needed? Etc.?

They are Dick Cepek Torque

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread
Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1772
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Man, amazing job so far on all the mods
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!