DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
RaceHemi is on a distinguished road

I Have The Same Trim, ST , I Thought Of Going To The Junk Yard And Get The Windows And Locks? Did You Buy Those Parts New? I Did Not Know The ST Did Not Have The Plugs.
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2013, 12:15 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2H2O View Post
After much research, I finally ordered a Cluster off ebay that I can send in as a core to get programmed with my mileage and VIN. Really tried to find a work around to this but theres no other way. Oh well, it's just money.

I also received a full set of Infinity speakers to go with the Amp I snagged at the auto wreckers. Seven speakers total for under $100 so even with the cluster upgrade, I am still under the $1000 mark for the entire upgrade.

Truck is shaping up nicely.
Shaping up nicely, indeed! It's gonna sound awesome! It already looks awesome! Waiting to hear about the finished (I guess it never really is finished, now is it?) product!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:73
IN2H2O will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHemi View Post
I Have The Same Trim, ST , I Thought Of Going To The Junk Yard And Get The Windows And Locks? Did You Buy Those Parts New? I Did Not Know The ST Did Not Have The Plugs.
I bought the window regulators new and then grabbed the locks from the junkyard. The only part of the harness that was already there were the few wires that run up to the instrument cluster for the power locks, everything else needed to be added.

If one had a donor vehicle available, you would need the door harness, the dash harness, the roof harness and the engine side firewall harness to make this a plug and play swap. Hindsight being 20/20, that may have been an easier route, even if one did have to pull the entire dash to lay in the dash harness. My original research showed the harnesses on ebay as being very expensive, the reality is, junkyards have no market for the wiring and sell it for the copper by the pound. That means that what you would pay upwards of $500 for off ebay would cost you about $40 at the auto wreckers, (if you could find the proper donor vehicle). Since all I could find was a Durango, most of my work was reworking the harness to fit a Ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
Shaping up nicely, indeed! It's gonna sound awesome! It already looks awesome! Waiting to hear about the finished (I guess it never really is finished, now is it?) product!
I'm sure it will never be finished and my wife is already making comments that she figures I'm going to sell it soon anyways. She hates the color of the truck and figures I'm going to want a V8 and an extended cab again. She may be right but I do like this little truck and it's fun to drive. I have had to change how we do several things now that we don't have the extended cab but there's no deal breakers yet.

Last edited by IN2H2O; 06-18-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:41 PM

Just got off the phone with a local dealer regarding my instrument cluster. I called and asked what was required to upgrade to an SLT Cluster. After a couple questions, the service rep said that his manager was not comfortable with the conversation and that they were to end the conversation immediately. WTF?!?!?! I'm trying to buy parts and service, not commit a crime.

I called another dealer as soon as I was off the phone and got much better responses. Still waiting to hear back on the best way to go about it but at least they took the time to understand what I was trying to accomplish and didn't hang up on me. They even have a guy on staff who has done a few already and knows the ins and outs
Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 PM

Finally got my 7 speakers and Infinity amp installed. I installed the speakers first and ran them off the RB1 for a couple weeks. They actually didn't sound that bad but the dash speakers can't take much bass and the volumes were mismatched between the side and dash speakers. I swapped the dash speakers over to run off the rear channel so I could dial them in with the fader it worked out pretty good.

I never was able to track down the connectors to plug into the amp I bought so I ended up buying a whole new amp that came with the plugs and a short harness. It has the proper High pass filters for the dash, mid for the door and full range for the rear.

Much better than the OEM 4 speaker system but a far cry from what I would call a "sweet" system. My head is shot from owning and building many award winning systems in my younger days so I have very little tolerance to loud music now. Anything more than a stock system puts out and I get a headache so this system is perfect for us. I also listen to a lot of talk radio and the sound levels are perfect for that.

We drove to Atlanta last week and had the ipad playing movies the whole trip while patched in to the Infinity sound and it was great. Even the wife agreed it was a worth while upgrade and was impressed at the sound quality.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:42 PM

Vehicle: 04 dodge ram
Rep:29
icywhite is on a distinguished road

I kinda did the same thing but didn't go the factory route I bought the window reg. off ebay and power lock poppers off there also and run them though my alarm and have worked well found the overhead console in a junk yard 06 20s got them back in 06. what I want now is a sliding rear window. I painted the front and rear bumpers body color and then found a white grill to replace the the chrome one. I found a opening center console, put in glove box,ash tray and under hood light as well,put speakers in the dash as well all except the center couldn't find that one. did a lot of other stuff but I think that was it one the upgrade to slt
2/4 drop,h.o. cams,4.56s posi, stage 2 cai, 70mm tb, 180t, cutouts, efan, centerforce dual friction clutch,short throw shifter 24%, sct(tuned by flying ryan), high flo-Y, 3 inch exaust , jbl headers nitrous, leds and hids on all lights, oh yeah 24s just to slow me back down
Old 07-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 05
provoking is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you got your hands full. Would love to see the final transformation when you get her done.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:55 AM

I stopped by a dealer last week and got the low down on the cluster. Their hands are tied tight to prevent any tampering with VIN's or mileage so there isn't much they can do for me. They wanted $1200 for a new cluster and even then, they would only be able to order me one identical to the one I have.

Long story short, they recommended I grab a similar mileage one off ebay or a junk yard and document the swap. The VIN's won't match but as long as it's documented and disclosed in the event of future sales.

I shopped around and managed to find a cluster that only had 68K miles on so I snagged it. That's just 4700 less than the truck has on it now. I got it plugged in with my old keyless entry remote and everything works perfect. I even picked up a couple extra features like auto lock on speed and only unlock drivers door on first pulse. My 02 did not have these features for some reason.

The last final little touch was to paint the needle centers silver to match the silver inserts in the door and radio.

So...the conversion is now officially complete.

Cluster before paint...

Cluster after paint...

Painted and assembled...

And here's some general overall pics of the completed truck.

Last edited by IN2H2O; 08-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:57 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

It's lookin good. Reps for the update.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram
Trim Level: Sl
Color: Charcoal
DDDodge is on a distinguished road

That is one of the best threads I have ever read. I am starting a manuel to power window and lock conversion this week on my 2005 SW. I bought a couple of doner doors, same color even, and hope to find the dash harness at a salvage. Your efforts in this build worked through so many of the issues I am facing. I found an overhead console and would like to hook it up with the temp module as part of the mod also.

Very interested in your detailed work, if you have time I would like to sort through some of those things with you. Once gaian, great work and writeup!!