DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Magnetic Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
nofear18 is on a distinguished road

I've been noticing the smell more so while I was getting the oil changed, I asked the dealership to see if they noticed anything smelling. They came back with " It could be the cosmolene burning off on the mettal parts" or " it could be the paper burning off the exhaust" OOOOOO KKKKKK
Sponsored links
Old 09-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl/Gold Two-Tone
Rep:37
AzDusty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4ladyz View Post
Built in Michigan

Well then that is the source of the smell.... Afterall everything coming out of that area of the country stinks.

I can't believe it is because of Chinese made parts very few things are made by chinese people, heck, even my Chinese food is prepared by hispanic's here in SE Arizona.

Funny though my Kershaw knife is made in china

RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn
Old 09-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Yumdinger is on a distinguished road

Took my ram to the dealer today for and oil change and rotation. I mentioned the smell, yes i have it. Referenced this thread and other accounts. Told them it smelled when you open the radiator. The guy opened the radiator cap took a whiff and said, "YUP it smells, never heard of this".
Went on with his business of logging my OC. So I mentioned it again and informed him what the problem was, reaction of bad rubber and Radiator fluid. To which he says, "definitely smells, I will check with Bill" ok Bill must know everything. So the OC is finished I pay my bill, Bill was standing there and says, "i never heard of that smell thing but it does smell". No offer of help whatsoever. A simple, "I will look into it for you" would have done nicely.

I went to the truck vowing to find a new service dealership. I get in the car to smell a new smell, Cigarette smoke!!!! I dont smoke and HATE the smell WTF? No offense to smokers, your choice but dont do it in my new truck.

I drive away windows open, for giggles I check the EVIC to see if the Oil data is re-set. ANY GUESSES? Yup you are right, it is not reset. I drive around and back in the bay, 2 people come to me, the mechanic that worked on it sulked into the corner. I tell them the problem, they get in and reset it. WHile doing so they begin to tell me how to reset it myself?.....I stop him in the middle of the instructions and say, "But should I REALLY need to know that? Shouldn't it be done ALREADY? I have never heard of this problem, the customer being required to finish the job?" Drive away....

I have to tell you this is my first domestic car since about 2005. If you have ever owned an import the one thing I found is that the customer service experience experience is top notch at those dealerships. From the people that work there and how they treat you to the amenities and facilities. Nothing compares. At the volvo dealership I had my own mini office to work at while I had things done, today I had to battle with F*&ING Sponge Bob in a nasty waiting area with some mom and little kid.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:12
Scott H is on a distinguished road

I see you are in Minnesota. What dealer are you going to for service? Barnett? I have the smell issue and when I brought it in the service manager Dwight at Fury Motors in South St. Paul was aware of or quickly found out about of the smell being a known Chrysler issue.

Mine was so bad that even after replacing the hoses the engine compartment still reeks. It's bad enough that Chrysler is buying it back. Fury has been supportive the entire time and they have been servicing my Rams and Jeep for over ten years.

SSP is a bit out of your way but service guys that know what the are doing might be worth the trip.

Hope this helps,
Scott
Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:92
Talon66 will become famous soon enough

I haven't noticed any smells on my Ram yet. Is there a certain build period?
Mods: 4500K HID headlights(55w) & Fogs(35w), Custom Dual Relay Harnesses, Tinted, Debadged, blacked out emblems, Stainless Works LT Headers, Magnaflow #12569, Kicker Soundgate, Diablo DCX - HF Tuned
Old 09-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 8sp longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Max Steel
Rep:11
MaxDane1 is on a distinguished road

My truck stinks as well. The truck has to be hot in order to smell it(tried with a cold engine and couldn't smell it), and once its hot you can start to smell the truck from about 10 feet away. Smells like sulphur/farts and if you have the hvac on you get the smell in the cabin as soon as you stop moving. When I picked up my truck they didnt seem to know what was wrong with it, but then I started talking with a sales person he know all about it from talking with the tech that work on my truck and he knew all about it the issue, and in fact the owners wife had the problem. So day two I get the truck hot go to dealership grab the shop foreman he tells me they are going to have to change all the hoses, resevoir flush the system and replace fluid. I have been told that its the fluid according to the tech the organic material dies, I am not sure if I belive them as its an organic acid but I am also not a chemist(.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Yumdinger is on a distinguished road

Yes, You are right on the dealer. In laws live in South St Paul I think I will give Fury a call.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 4x4 5.7 6spd
Trim Level: Express QC 6'4" bed
Color: Polar White
Rep:44
turbohawk is on a distinguished road

So far there doesn't seem to be a discernible pattern as to which engine packages are going to "stink"...just "luck" then?

My truck smells "normal".
Old 09-30-2013, 11:42 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew 4X4
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl
Rep:14
JaxLoki is on a distinguished road

Mine smelled "normal" until I started parking in the garage. Dealer said Chrysler is coming out with a fix mid-October. I'll let ya'll know what comes of it then. Service Department manager is my neighbor.
Mufflex DOD14M, BakFlip Fibermax, K&N Drop-in Filter, Stubby Antenna, In-Cabin Air Filter Mod, Painted Tips, Debadged and B-pillar tape removed, Plastidipped All Chrome, Recon 60" Xtreme Light bar, Linex'd Go Rhino Dominator III Steps, 295/70 18 Trail Grapplers, Fuel Throttle 20x9, ReadyLift SST
Old 09-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a RAM for my personal use. My company has ~50 of them, varying years and trim levels. After about 2 weeks and 2000 miles, I have the burning rubber/coolant smell like others. Called my dealer in Greensburg Pa and they never heard of it. I have not heard of this with all my company trucks, and I assume an employee would say something.

Anyhow, stopped by the dealer. Service manager got a face full of the smell and started snorting, and coughing. Scheduled to go in this week, but not sure what their plan is. I called and asked for the plan before I leave it with them. Will let you know if I hear anything. For those of you whose service manager says Dodge is aware of this, can you tell me the dealership name so my service manager can call them?