DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
It's all good. Since more is better, why stop at 16 volts? I say run a 1000 volt battery, and open up the spark plug gap to about 3 inches. That should add about 300hp...
Sarcasm is the ugly brother of anger...however in your defense...it is a very useful tool.

Yes on the 1st and 2nd Gen the regulator is in the ECM.

It can be done but the CEL will stay on because the ECM has been bypassed. I've done it with a two prong external regulator but never an adjustable regulator. Maybe it's the same, maybe not.

Remove the harness from the back of the Alt and tape off the two small leads.

Cut two lengths of wire long enough to reach from the alt to the new regulator location. Crimp a ring connector large enough to fit the bolts the plastic block leads were connected to and now taped off. Then attach the lengths of wire to each one. Put them on and tighten the nuts down.

Once the wires are connected to the alt, cut a wire long enough to reach from the regulator to an ignition position (power on with key) of your choice. Take one of the wires from the alt (either one you just attached will do) and the wire from the ignition positive and crimp them into one end of a butt connector making a "Y" connection (2 into one)

Take the doubled wire you just made (battery and alternator) with the butt a butt connector already attached and connect it to the TOP terminal on the pigtail (should be a 3 wire pigtail from the adjustable regulator). Take the other wire from the alt and attach it to the other terminal of the pigtail using a butt connector. Plug the pigtail into the reg, route the wires out of the way and re-install the battery.

Good luck, and maybe mount a fire extinguisher under the hood?

Last edited by Warlock III; 05-15-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9l
Trim Level: sport
Color: yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
partsmore is on a distinguished road
Default Awesum

Wiring a Dodge Ram for use with a 12 & 16 volt battery

These are awesum instructions, and I hope to have it wired in a couple of weeks.

There is a big difference in wanting and needing 16 volt. Right now, the truck doesnt need it - I want it. I invented and patented the battery, and it works great for those that want or need it.

Later in the build, i hope to NEED it. The ignition coil and distributor components will handle up to 20 volts, and it will perform better.
(I would LOVE to have your knowledge and assistance at that point, isolating the distributor and coil pack)

Because the battery has BOTH 12 volt and 16 Volt terminals,items that will never need it or tolerate it, will be left on the 12v side of the battery.

I have a NEW starter and alternator coming, and will custom build my own
HD battery cables and wires.

Your step-sde is a work of art, and although Ive never been a fan of them,
I like the fact they are unique and classic looking.

Thank you for your help!!~

DL

2001 Ram 1500 4x4 sport Yellow extended cab;
HiFlow cat, custom exhaust, Daytona wing, want to lower 2/3" and alot of other updates.

Last edited by ShawnC13; 05-16-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:210
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

The voltage has nothing to do with the starter, its the amperage supplied to it... I know for a fact....eg:

Take a motorcycle starter and jump it with a car battery...uh huh, that baby will spin a crank like you wouldn't believe... both batteries are 12v but a motorcycle battery is about 300% less CCA ( cold cranking amps )

Hate to bursts bubbles but, get out the knife and cut it up one side and down the other, might as well throw 2 batteries in and make 24v, and get a voltage drop rectifier/coil for 24 into 12 and run it inline... better yet, just invest in a Diesel truck.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Is tired of the BS too

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

Oh one other thing I'd suggest. When you wire in the new regulator I'd personally put fusable links in the wiring as a secondary fault protector.

I know I'm not one to talk...but I mask my displeasure for other members into a literary text so not as to be as straight forward and test the reading and comprehension skills of the other members.

snrusnak is a highly regarded and helpful member of the forum. He and I both share a certain high regard for sarcasm. I don't believe he meant any discontent nor misdirection as he is both highly knowledgeable and very helpful. Call it an off day, a Neanderthal moment, or what you will. But I'm quite sure he re-read his post ...DOH, and didn't want to get into a contest and cross streams.

By not addressing an inadvertent error he had made, he showed great restraint, bowed out and left the thread to run it's course.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

lol

I thought it'd be best if I stopped posting in this thread. Apparently I'm out of my element here.

Crossing streams is way more fun when drunk...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Is tired of the BS too

Lets just go the full Monty then...

See sarcasm can be fun
Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
The voltage has nothing to do with the starter, its the amperage supplied to it... I know for a fact....eg:

Take a motorcycle starter and jump it with a car battery...uh huh, that baby will spin a crank like you wouldn't believe... both batteries are 12v but a motorcycle battery is about 300% less CCA ( cold cranking amps )

Hate to bursts bubbles but, get out the knife and cut it up one side and down the other, might as well throw 2 batteries in and make 24v, and get a voltage drop rectifier/coil for 24 into 12 and run it inline... better yet, just invest in a Diesel truck.
you are partially right - ohms law?

We have dyno tested, raced, and all manufacturer's like MSD agree (for years!) that 16 volt WILL produce more hp, by providing a hotter and reliable spark. Dyno tests dont lie. Voltage DOES increase the RPM of electric motors (ie: starters and fans) by 33%. (and Im gonna change-over to electric fans~)

No, The same components will NOT tollerate 24v (this has been tested repeatedly.) and the amp and stereo components will take 16-19, but not 24.

Certainly, I'll invest another $5k in a diesel to pay $1 a gallon more for fuel, get the same MPG - if you can find me a 01 Dodge 1500 4x4 extended cab, auto, in yellow.......
Old 05-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

LOL.

Well I'm sorry, I didn't realize the VR was in the ecm.

I have known people that run 16v batteries without alternators in racing applications, and they don't get any performance increase, just the benefit of not running an alternator. They pick up some power there, but not from the batteries. There are some benefits in a racing application(better starting on a hard to start engine), can run without an alternator and not drop below 14.2v(causing loss in power), and a "dead" 16v battery will have more than a "good" 12v battery. Some run with no alternator and a 12v battery but they lose power because they drop down from 14.2v to 12v and even lower as the battery drains. With the 16v they stay above the needed 14.2v. These guys often go through starters and other electronics more rapidly than guys running 12v batteries.

JMO I guess. I'm no expert but I just don't see where you'll get more power here. And although I was indeed being sarcastic in my earlier post...in all seriousness, if you think this will give more power, why not go to 20v, or 25v, etc.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The dyno tests on oem systems and racing engines doesnt lie - with and with alternators, the 33% increase DOES increase HP...