DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:267
Ahays63 is a jewel in the roughAhays63 is a jewel in the roughAhays63 is a jewel in the rough

found the videos,they get a little repetitive, but still some decent information

Old 11-29-2013, 02:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 5500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
Shenandoah is on a distinguished road

Reliability, durability, liability, and safety are the areas that come to mind when towing or hauling.

Reliability - I hate breakdowns and if you are on the side of the road you can be at risk.

Durability - I want my vehicle to last, and with regular scheduled maintenance, I don't want to be hanging out at my dealer's shop.

Liability - At this stage in my life I have a lot to loose if I end in an accident, injure, kill or maim my family or another's. If we end up in court it can be very expensive, one could loose their life savings and be on the hook for more, not to mention the anguish involved. An overloaded vehicle can certainly be a factor in litigation, particularly if it is deemed a causal factor, such as being unable to stop or swerve to avoid a collision or an overloaded driveline or steering component fails.

Safety - Do you really want to be a test pilot with your vehicle, charting unknown waters that it was never designed for? Manufacturers spend countless hours with teams of engineers evaluating the performance, handling and safety of their vehicles. How much value do you place on the safety of your family and the public?

Sure you can get away with exceeding the manufacturers limitations on occasions, but bearing the above in mind one should endeavor to operate their vehicles with the design limits.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 5500
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Shenandoah is on a distinguished road

I am not sure how one can merely look at the axle load ratings, sum them and then blithely go on their way ignoring the manufacturers maximum GVWR, Tow, Haul, and GCWR.
There is much more to the ratings than the axle specifications. What is the torque rating of the transmission, how about engine cooling, transmission cooling, size and capability of the brakes, shocks, springs, tires, wheels, how does the vehicle handle sway, will it under steer or possible over steer, what is the rating of the chassis rails, the rear bed, attachment points, etc. How fast will the vehicle accelerate, how well does it stop, the distance and tendency for brake fade.
The new SAE standard J2807 defines some limited standards for truck ratings, but only Toyota is currently abiding by them.
Here is a link to a discussion on the subject: http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...t/viewall.html
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road

all i'm pointing out is that it looks like there is a large safety margin. Per manufacture as long as your within awr and gvwr you are legal. So how can you say 400lbs of weight to the front axle of a 1500 truck. Yes you will add weight with people but not that much you'll add more to the rear axle So to say you can come within a 150lbs of max combined axle weight ratings I find that very difficult to do and stay below rawr.

Yes there is a lot more to it but as long as your within gvwr and awr you're fine. So each shock and spring should be capable of holding the max gawr without issues or the awr should be lowered, this goes along with all connected pieces, tires, wheels wheel hubs and studs. With payload rarely does engine cooling or transmission cooler needed. and yes whhile the SAE stadards are defined they themselves are not great, not many people will like to hear their gas engines at 4-5krpms or their diesel wind to 3-4krpms to get up a hill at 30mph.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Rep:105
smurfs will become famous soon enoughsmurfs will become famous soon enough
Default Our Trucks Capacities Vs. The Competition (Payload)

here's a quick question I have never found an answer for:

when you have passenger load- how does this weight transfer across axles? based on the position of the cabin, I would guess about 50/50, but maybe I am way off? Does all the weight transfer to the rear axle?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge RAM
Rep:17
TLC John is on a distinguished road
Default Air Suspension 4 RAM

Thx for posting the videos Ahays63.

While TLC does NOT increase GVWR or GCWR, please know that by adding TLC your truck will be level with any legal load or tow.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:43 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral
Rep:21
Parkersdad is on a distinguished road

These are the very reasons I sold my 1500 and bought my 2500 Hemi. We only have a 5k to 6K trailer but by the time we put bikes, generator, wood, ourselves and other stuff we were right at or over payload. The 2500 Hemi is night and day pulling as well.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Granite
Rep:99
TJC.geotech will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty sure RAMS payload ratings are low on the Crew Cab models because of the rear axle location in relation to the bed. If you put any significant load in the box the center of mass is going to be behind the axle and not over or in front of it, which would be ideal. Ford and GM are no better rated if you buy a fully pimped out truck, unless you pay for the payload package in the Ford.

Also, unless you are hauling commercially with your 1500 your chances of being scaled by the dot are virtually zero.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:11 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC.geotech View Post
Ford and GM are no better rated if you buy a fully pimped out truck, unless you pay for the payload package in the Ford.
This is a good, and unfortunately often ignored, point.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Silas-7 is on a distinguished road

I was thinking the same thing when comparing my 14' express crew to the competition. Until it's proven it's just a number. For example: my father in-law owns a 11' GMC Sierra extended cab z71 with the 5.3l flex fuel. It's rated to tow according to gmc.com 6800-9600lb. Being unsure of the gear ratio he has and if he has the max tow package (rated to tow 10,400) I have driven in it while he tows and now am seeing the results. Towing a 2002 Dutchman lite (5000lb) and using a WD hitch the truck is at an immediate squat w/o loading camper or putting anything in bed for payload. The poor engine never got below 3800 RPM and had a sustained "red line" when accelerating. Struggled to maintain a speed of 60mph. Let's say he was at the "minimum" tow rating given his set up. He has since lost a leaf spring (snapped and fell out while driving) on both the driver and passenger side. The weight he was pulling and the end results of what happened to the truck don't lie. I was very gracious and let him use my jack to knock out the remaining pieces of his rear end while sitting on my 14' RAM's tailgate drinking a nice cold beverage with nothing but a smerk!