DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-11-2013, 01:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laraime
Color: BK
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rxpdavid is on a distinguished road

Suckie69
What all did you remove to get to the bulbs?
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry PearlCoat / White Gold
Rep:16
buckmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpdavid View Post
Suckie69
What all did you remove to get to the bulbs?
There are a lot of youtube videos about headlight removal and hid conversion. It is really a pretty easy mod.
I just finished installing 55W 5000K low and high beam hids from Retro Solutions. The only real headache is finding a good mounting area for the resistors, which do get pretty hot. They recommend mounting the resistors on metal for that reason. The right side has plenty of space to drill and mount the resistors. The left side is a problem because of the proximity or all of the plastic body parts and the fact that most of the factory wiring bundles are located in that location. What I ended up doing is to mount both (high and low) resistors for the left side on a metal stalk and suspended it below the fuse box just off of the inner fender. I did mount the stalk to plastic and I will be monitoring it to see if it gets too hot. Don't want to melt any plastic.
I am not sure where others have ended up mounting these resistors, but since most don't do highs as I did, (most seem to just do the low projectors and or fogs) they only have one resistor per side to worry about, not two per side as I did.
This fixes the weak light output that seem to plague these trucks. It is a tremendous difference, before and after.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/gray
Rep:11
bigbody is on a distinguished road

I'm curios if you can replace the bulb in the factory projectors to make them any brighter, I know it won't be as bright as hiss but may be enough for people not wanting to go hid
2013 RAM 1500 Laramie, sunroof, 3:55gears, undercover se, avs in channel, 30% tint all around
Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 PM

Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry PearlCoat / White Gold
Rep:16
buckmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbody View Post
I'm curios if you can replace the bulb in the factory projectors to make them any brighter, I know it won't be as bright as hiss but may be enough for people not wanting to go hid
One of the problems with creating brighter lights using filament type bulbs, like the I/R halogens in the 2013 rams is that increasing brightness with a filament means more heat. More heat means melt-city in the plastic housings the bulbs are mounted in. That is why HIDs are so popular because they create higher light output w/o creating more heat. In fact, I am told HIDs run cooler per watt of power used. I am curious why Ram did not use this type of lighting in these trucks. I am sold on HIDs.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
One of the problems with creating brighter lights using filament type bulbs, like the I/R halogens in the 2013 rams is that increasing brightness with a filament means more heat. More heat means melt-city in the plastic housings the bulbs are mounted in. That is why HIDs are so popular because they create higher light output w/o creating more heat. In fact, I am told HIDs run cooler per watt of power used. I am curious why Ram did not use this type of lighting in these trucks. I am sold on HIDs.
I think Ram, like Ford did, Will eventually go to HID's. I honestly think this was just a marketing thing so when they do a refresh or redesign down the road or just go into a new model year it is something to add to the list of new features.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 2WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT w/Big Horn EQ GP
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:119
plumcrazy73 will become famous soon enoughplumcrazy73 will become famous soon enough

yea but is fords Halogen HIDs like Dodges is, if so that is just to get the projector look , they could have went true HIDS for the same upcharge but chose to go cheap and charge for the good stuff
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 2WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT w/Big Horn EQ GP
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:119
plumcrazy73 will become famous soon enoughplumcrazy73 will become famous soon enough

I mounted my resistors, on exhaust straps, the universal type with the holes, that you can get from advance and such. bent an L into it, mounted them (2 per side) put them on the frame right behind the headlights. drilled 2 holes, and mounted them with self tapping sheet metal screws, grounded them there , then hit them with some paint over the sheet metal screws.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:16 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 sport
Color: BLACK
Rep:51
Nemmisis1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpdavid View Post
Nemmisis1 Do you have any pics of your install? How long did it take? What did you do on the high beams?
Thanks,
David
Hopefully it attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-17-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmisis1 View Post
Hopefully it attached
Another one with the cut out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 07-17-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
There are a lot of youtube videos about headlight removal and hid conversion. It is really a pretty easy mod.
I just finished installing 55W 5000K low and high beam hids from Retro Solutions. The only real headache is finding a good mounting area for the resistors, which do get pretty hot. They recommend mounting the resistors on metal for that reason. The right side has plenty of space to drill and mount the resistors. The left side is a problem because of the proximity or all of the plastic body parts and the fact that most of the factory wiring bundles are located in that location. What I ended up doing is to mount both (high and low) resistors for the left side on a metal stalk and suspended it below the fuse box just off of the inner fender. I did mount the stalk to plastic and I will be monitoring it to see if it gets too hot. Don't want to melt any plastic.
I am not sure where others have ended up mounting these resistors, but since most don't do highs as I did, (most seem to just do the low projectors and or fogs) they only have one resistor per side to worry about, not two per side as I did.
This fixes the weak light output that seem to plague these trucks. It is a tremendous difference, before and after.
If you used a canbus kit you wouldn't of needed any damn relay or resistors... The forums are here for help READ!!!! Canbus kit jis simple plug play... Period... Look up my 100 dollar eBay kit.. I have everything there.... I also got yelled at my moderators because I gave everyone a GREAT CHEAP (price wise) and they thought I was getting kickback...lol but some of th vendors might of gotten tight because of loss$$$$.... Now watch ill get blasted for this to.