DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Max Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:28
Megacraig is on a distinguished road
Default LED License plate problem

I recently bought and installed some led cab lights for my truck, map and dome work and look awesome but I also got some license plate ones so i figured what the hell ill install those. They both light up bright and good but EVIC says license plate light out. Is this a common thing that i just have to deal with or is there a fix?
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to get canbus LED's for those so the dash thinks you got a real bulb in there

Ex: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-x-LED-Light...038373&vxp=mtr
Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Max Steel
Rep:28
Megacraig is on a distinguished road

Thanks, so i would assume then that all exterior led bulbs need to be can bus?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:31 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, most need this, you can also tric it by installing a 5 - 10 % resistor from the positive of each light to the body ground, not all will solve all problems, flashers can sometimes be fixed by canbus but not all, I had to install resistors for my flashers.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

^^^^ ++++ cet homme connait beaucoup
Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 sport
Rep:10
rombo is on a distinguished road

I just installed non-canbus led lights in my license plate lights and they are working great.

Last edited by rombo; 04-27-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:54
gs283020 will become famous soon enough

I have been running non-canbus LEDs in my license plate lights for over a year and no issues... That's weird...
Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs283020 View Post
I have been running non-canbus LEDs in my license plate lights for over a year and no issues... That's weird...
Some have the EVIC that tells them when a bulb is burnt out, I think this is on the 2013's, maybe even on the 2012's
Evic, may be wrong on the 2012's I don't have Evic on my 2012. If you replace your flashers with LED's they will also flash hyper fast, this is the truck indicating you have a burnt bulb, basically the Relay does not sense a load, does the same with the LED bulbs because they have very little resistance and draw very little power to light, by adding a resistor to the body from the positive of the bulb you create a load as if a regular incandescent light is there. Canbus LED bulbs have a built in resistor to create the load so the Evic does not give an error, for Flasher bulbs not all canbus LED bulbs will work for the hyper flash, but will silence the Evic.

Last edited by Asur; 04-27-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 5.7 CC
Trim Level: Express ST
Color: Black
Rep:10
NYTHWK is on a distinguished road

I don't mean to hijack the thread but since we're talking about led rear plate lights I have had the LEDs in for almost a year now and my LEDs wont stay on. I constantly have to pull them out and shake and tap them to make them come back on. Anybody have a remedy for this?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTHWK View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread but since we're talking about led rear plate lights I have had the LEDs in for almost a year now and my LEDs wont stay on. I constantly have to pull them out and shake and tap them to make them come back on. Anybody have a remedy for this?
depending on your truck, its an express, but might have Evic, if you have Evic its cause you don't have can bus resistor integrated bulbs, if you don't have Evic, then get better bulbs, I have had mine installed for over a year with no issues.