DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsamad View Post
Hi ransram,

You mentioned your does sound the same. So it just goes away after warm up. How long is the warm up time? Thanks
It's actually not doing it at all now but when it was it only took about five minutes to disappear.
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 cc
Trim Level: Sport Hemi 8speed CC
Color: Granite metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
RamSportsPower is on a distinguished road

so its not doing any more? did you got it fixed or it just disappeared on its own? sorry to keep asking you these questions
Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsamad View Post
so its not doing any more? did you got it fixed or it just disappeared on its own? sorry to keep asking you these questions
No problem with the questions. It just seemed to stop over the winter but maybe I just never paid much attention. When I did notice the sound I would start it up in my garage and let it idle down before pulling out. When I pulled out I got out to move cars around and left it running. When I went back to head to work I would notice the sound on the drivers side, slight tap tap tap. So it had Been running for only a few minutes. After getting to work, which is only about ten minutes I would check for the sound before shutting down and there was never any sound. So like I said I have 34,000 Kms on it and performance wise is running strong. I will check more carefully over the next few days and let you know if its gone or just quiter. Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:07 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry PearlCoat / White Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
buckmaster is on a distinguished road

Let me clarify some differences in the noise you are hearing as this can be strictly subjective and have multiple sources.
If the wrist (piston) pins are "floated" in these engines, meaning that they are not pressed into the connecting rods and are retained in the pistons with snap rings or buttons, then some of this noise can be normal when the engine is cold. If the pins are floated, which could be, like I said, I don't know for sure, then it is possible that this noise is coming from one or more pins that may have more clearance than the others. If that is the case, then this sound could be normal with this engine. However, let me be clear on this, if this engine makes the same noise when it is at operating temperature, then it needs to be reported under warranty and investigated. Also if the pins are pressed into the connecting rods, which some OEMs are, then this noise is from too much clearance between the piston pin and the aluminum piston and should be investigated.
In the US we have federal law that states that it you report a problem during the warranty period and it is not considered to be warrantable by the dealer and later fails when it is out of warranty, then it has to be considered to be warrantable under the manufactures original warranty. I don't know about Canada's laws. So, with that said, get this noise reported on a dealer work order during the warranty period and you are covered.
I might also add that when you are listening to a "noise" recorded on a cell phone and played on a computer, it is hard to determine the origin. May variables. Ask any mechanic and he may have a different opinion as to whether or not this is normal. The only way to know for sure is to have an experienced dealer technician (mechanic) who has had the experience with this type of noise to investigate it. Some have said that they think this is normal and not to worry. For your own peace of mind, be sure you get this checked out if the noise is still present with a warm engine. IMO
Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

I have 26,000 miles on mine now and it still does it at the drive thru. It is only on the drivers side that I notice the noise. It is a tic not a knock, that is for sure. I know the difference between the two. It sounds reminiscent of an exhaust tic that would happen in the older style engines with an exhaust manifold leak. Does that sound familiar to anyone?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Copperhead Pearlcoat
Rep:20
dustinterry102 is on a distinguished road

My 2013 with 500 miles on it does the same noise, i listened to it close the first day i started it up to go to work, but as being a mechanic and a little reading on here i decided it was normal...after all my buddies '03 hemi with 160k miles makes the same subtle tick
Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

I've never owned a Hemi, but I've test driven many in my researching the truck purchase. I fired one up on the lot this weekend...same sound. I think you're fine. For peace of mind, simply have dealership look at it. Have them document it on service ticket, then drive it like you stole it a while. Switch to synthetic oil.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:01 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry PearlCoat / White Gold
Rep:16
buckmaster is on a distinguished road

I have listened to many "Hemi Tick" recorded sounds on You Tube and this does not sound like the notorious Hemi Tick. The Hemi Tick is more of a clicking sound that would be associated with the valve train. The sound that was recorded and noted in this thread sounds more pronounced like a knock. You can hear the hollow sound which I think is associated with the piston and connecting rod. Of course like I said before, please have the dealer service staff listen to this (not the salesman).
Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Mine has the same "tick,tick tick" at idle even after fully warmed up, not a knock, I've got 920 miles on it, I'm not going to worry about it, first oil change I will switch to full synthetic again, and monitor how it sounds again. In that video it did sound faintly more pronounced, the knock that is, not trying to freak you out but I would take that advice and have a tech look at it and make note of it. Best not to worry!