DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 cc
Trim Level: Sport Hemi 8speed CC
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RamSportsPower is on a distinguished road
Default Does this 2013 ram sport hemi sound normal?

Hi Guys,

I just purchased this truck and went for a test drive. Everything seems normal but after signing the documents I came out of the dealership and noticed this sound (may be ticking/knocking or just nothing). So I called and showed the salesman what you can hear in the attached video (at 45 sec mark) . He said its a brand new engine with just 50 KMs and its normal for hemi to sound like this. Not sure if I should believe him and decided to share this video on this forum. Any advise on this matter is appreciated.

If you think its an issue then can you please suggest what I should be doing. Thanks a lot.

Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2013, 12:02 AM

Vehicle: Don't own a Dodge
Chromag is on a distinguished road

Recent thread about the Hemi knock. Someone also posted a vid of a 2012 Ram Hemi with the exact same knocking noise. Hope that helps.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Sport Crew Deep cherry
Trim Level: sport
Color: Deep Cherry
Rep:19
blue2011 is on a distinguished road

Sounds normal too me. Ive also got a 13 sport, but ive never stuck my head in the wheel well either lol. This is my second hemi and they seem to be fairly loud at first. try synthetic oil after youre first or second oil change and should get a bit quieter. I would post a vid of mine but im not too good at this computer stuff lol. After all youve got a 5 year powertrain warranty !! drive it like u stole it lol
Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry PearlCoat / White Gold
Rep:16
buckmaster is on a distinguished road

As I previously posted in the thread posted by "Chromag" above, this sound is what mechanics call a "wrist pin" knock or rattle. I have heard this many times with gas engines. Sounds like there is too much end play between one connecting rod and the wrist pin (if the pins are floated in the rod). If the pins are pressed into the connecting rod, which they used to be (I have not had one of these late hemis apart, had many older 392s and 426s apart many times). If they are pressed in, then there is too much end play between the piston and the pin. Either way, piston or con. rod, I would not be happy with this noise.
Usually new engines are fairly tight and get loosened up during break in. I would not expect to hear this noise on a new engine.Normally this type of noise is more pronounced when the engine is cold and tends to quiet down as the engine approaches normal operating temperature because of thermal expansion. In any case, this is a serious enough problem that should be investigated by the dealer. It can be fixed, but the engine will have to be disassembled and parts measured and examined. Sorry to have to deliver this news. It can be fixed. Dealer mechanics do it all the time. It is only "nuts and bolts". Remember, this is just one mechanic's opinion. (However, I do have over 45 years engine experience).
Old 03-23-2013, 02:57 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab 4X4
Color: Inferno Red
johnnymopar is on a distinguished road

I am not a mechanic. However I have heard it on many Rams, even a 2010 Silverado. Many theories abound. All I know is that these are new engines with lighter metals, different technology from old cast iron blocks.
Mine does this sound when cold. At 38,000 km I have had zero issues with this truck - ok one, the plastic park brake release handle cracked and was promptly replaced under warranty.
Definitely disconcerting when you are used to older engines but I pay it no attention having 0 issues. Will see how I do at 80,000km - still under warranty.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 AM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

I agree with johnnymopar. When test driving a 2012 Lonestar 4x4, I also test drove an express and a sport and all three hemis had the same exact sound that you recorded. It can be a big shock for people not used to a noisy engine like the Hemi. Remember, you have 5years or 100,000 miles to make that powertrain give out on you. So just drive it and see if it goes the distance. Or you can try and have them replace the motor and hope the noise is a bit better. But how much more grief do you want to put yourself through with a new design truck having to wait weeks to months for a new engine swap only to be disappointed that the noise is still there you know? It was enough stress signing for the bill to start with. Another factor is knowing that these motors use a 5W20 weight oil because of the MDS feature, which is a fairly thin oil for any V8 but because of the MDS, that 5W20 is supposed to aid economy, and will make for a little bit noisier engine compared to most engines running a 10w30 to 10w40 or even 50w engine oil.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above two posts, mine also does this when cold. As soon as it warms up its gone. The little tap tap in your video is exactly what I hear on mine. I have 33,000 Kim's and its going strong. I did swap out for full synthetic at 5,000 Kms. If it really bothers you I suppose you could get them to tear down your engine (no way I'd do that). Run it for a while and see how it goes, it's under full warranty for quite some time.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: Ram 1500 Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:95
mrpositraction will become famous soon enough

That is how mine sounds. Like I mentioned in previous posts about engine noise, the Hemi is a very noisy motor IMO.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 cc
Trim Level: Sport Hemi 8speed CC
RamSportsPower is on a distinguished road

Hi ransram,

You mentioned your does sound the same. So it just goes away after warm up. How long is the warm up time? Thanks
Old 03-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Before i switched to synthetic oil
On chillier days mine would sound like that for maybe 1/2 minute
but where i live, we don't get snow & it is uncommon to see ice on a water puddle
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle