DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road
Default CAI or Muffler thoughts?

Hi all, getting some tax money back and was thinking about which mod to do first. My truck is a 2012 white qc oudoorsman 4x4 with 1900 miles. I have been looking at the k@n cai and the mufflex 18 muffler. I will not be doing both eventually but was wondering your thoughts on which is more important to complete first. I'm leaning toward the muffler more so i can finally hear what this truck should sound like. Any other thoughts of different brands and feelings on them is also appreciated. Leaning toward the k&n for ease of install have read that some others don't just bolt up. Same with mufflex just ease of install. Only mod presently is airlift 1000s. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

If going with a traditional CAI (k and n, volant, AirAid, Sceptre, etc.) I would recommend a simple drop in replacement filter as you will see almost the same gains, if wanting real improvements I would get the Vararam Air grabber, as far as the mufflex 18" muffler goes don't waste the extra coin just get the 18" magnaflow muffler at 1/3rd of the cost and pay a shop $50-$70 dollars to weld it in instead of clamping it in, much better seal and no leaks that way, this is just my $.02 however it is pretty much inline with everyone elses thoughts.

If you would like I can get you Z pricing on any of these items (except the mufflex and sceptre) and always free shipping to the lower 48 states, if you interested send me a PM, or make a post in our vendor thread we would be more than happy to earn your business and make you another very satisfied D.A.P. customer!

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM

thanks, I sent you a PM.

On other thoughts I was looking at the mufflex for the trucks with Duals. The mufflex for stock single looked just like a straight pipe. Hopefully someone can chime in about this or maybe you know. Is our stoke system SS. I feel like a read somewhere that it is and if so why would you replace an entire system thats SS. Also if someone has run there own which if its basically as easy as getting an offset muffler and welding a striaght pipe to both ends that should be too bad. Thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman2012 View Post
thanks, I sent you a PM.

On other thoughts I was looking at the mufflex for the trucks with Duals. The mufflex for stock single looked just like a straight pipe. Hopefully someone can chime in about this or maybe you know. Is our stoke system SS. I feel like a read somewhere that it is and if so why would you replace an entire system thats SS. Also if someone has run there own which if its basically as easy as getting an offset muffler and welding a striaght pipe to both ends that should be too bad. Thanks
really there is no reason to do the entire cat back unless you are going from dual 2.5" exhaust to dual 3" exhaust this would be the only reason that I can think of, as the mufflers used in the cat backs can be purchased separately 95% of the time, I apologize for not getting back to your pm yet, I will respond to it here in just a few

Thanks
Jeremiah

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500
Trim Level: laramie
Color: white
Rep:11
fsas64 is on a distinguished road

honestly, i did alot of research on exhaust before i made my decision. honestly the best sound you can get for the dual exhaust setup is a muffler delete, and keeping the resonators. others may say different with different cat back exhaust systems etc, but truth is i love the sound and i get aksed all the time what system im running and when i tell them they are stunned. as far as CAI, im running the K&N 77 series and its great. install was a breeze, MPG increase was delightful, and hearing the engine growl when you stomp on it is very satisfying.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsas64 View Post
honestly, i did alot of research on exhaust before i made my decision. honestly the best sound you can get for the dual exhaust setup is a muffler delete, and keeping the resonators. others may say different with different cat back exhaust systems etc, but truth is i love the sound and i get aksed all the time what system im running and when i tell them they are stunned. as far as CAI, im running the K&N 77 series and its great. install was a breeze, MPG increase was delightful, and hearing the engine growl when you stomp on it is very satisfying.
Fsas64, Why did you choose the 77 series over the 63 series. Supposedly you get more performance out of the 63 series. was it for the looks of it? as for the muffler thanks for the info!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:347
Ram725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the rough

I've got an S&B Intake and absolutely love it and am glad I bought it. I am soon getting an 18" Magnaflow. Either upgrade will do about the same. CAI has great looks and exhaust has great sound. So it is all about what you want to accomplish.

SOLD: 2012 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4
SOLD: 2012 RAM 1500 8" on 37s + much more Build Thread
Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:13
BlackHemiExpress is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman2012 View Post
Hi all, getting some tax money back and was thinking about which mod to do first. My truck is a 2012 white qc oudoorsman 4x4 with 1900 miles. I have been looking at the k@n cai and the mufflex 18 muffler. I will not be doing both eventually but was wondering your thoughts on which is more important to complete first. I'm leaning toward the muffler more so i can finally hear what this truck should sound like. Any other thoughts of different brands and feelings on them is also appreciated. Leaning toward the k&n for ease of install have read that some others don't just bolt up. Same with mufflex just ease of install. Only mod presently is airlift 1000s. Thanks
I have the DOD18M and love it. After the muffler runs a while, it will be a bit louder at idle, but once the truck warms up it's just right.

Mufflex DOD18M & Custom Intake tube w/air box mox
Diablo Intune DCX with Hemifever Tuning
Longtubes coming soon...
RIPP supercharger coming soon...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 AM

Vehicle: 2012 sport crew
Trim Level: sport crew
Rep:13
nfd538 is on a distinguished road

Screw those $300-400 cai, drop in a better filter and do the snorkel mod on the stock air box.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:41 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver PS2
Rep:45
misfit1981 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinkle1989 View Post
If going with a traditional CAI (k and n, volant, AirAid, Sceptre, etc.) I would recommend a simple drop in replacement filter as you will see almost the same gains, if wanting real improvements I would get the Vararam Air grabber, as far as the mufflex 18" muffler goes don't waste the extra coin just get the 18" magnaflow muffler at 1/3rd of the cost and pay a shop $50-$70 dollars to weld it in instead of clamping it in, much better seal and no leaks that way, this is just my $.02 however it is pretty much inline with everyone elses thoughts.

If you would like I can get you Z pricing on any of these items (except the mufflex and sceptre) and always free shipping to the lower 48 states, if you interested send me a PM, or make a post in our vendor thread we would be more than happy to earn your business and make you another very satisfied D.A.P. customer!

Thanks
Jeremiah
I was actually looking at the Mufflex 24M, or rather looking at buying the 24" MagnaFlow muffler. I'm just not sure which one I need (shape, inlet/outlet, etc). If anyone has any ideas I'd be greatful!