DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics


Notices


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Outdoorsman2012 Outdoorsman2012 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Age: 24
Posts: 186
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road
Default CAI or Muffler thoughts?

Hi all, getting some tax money back and was thinking about which mod to do first. My truck is a 2012 white qc oudoorsman 4x4 with 1900 miles. I have been looking at the k@n cai and the mufflex 18 muffler. I will not be doing both eventually but was wondering your thoughts on which is more important to complete first. I'm leaning toward the muffler more so i can finally hear what this truck should sound like. Any other thoughts of different brands and feelings on them is also appreciated. Leaning toward the k&n for ease of install have read that some others don't just bolt up. Same with mufflex just ease of install. Only mod presently is airlift 1000s. Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Bully's Performance's Avatar
Bully's Performance Bully's Performance is offline
BULLYS PERFORMANCE


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: lathrop
Posts: 10,088
Gender: Male
Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 9
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold
Default

If going with a traditional CAI (k and n, volant, AirAid, Sceptre, etc.) I would recommend a simple drop in replacement filter as you will see almost the same gains, if wanting real improvements I would get the Vararam Air grabber, as far as the mufflex 18" muffler goes don't waste the extra coin just get the 18" magnaflow muffler at 1/3rd of the cost and pay a shop $50-$70 dollars to weld it in instead of clamping it in, much better seal and no leaks that way, this is just my $.02 however it is pretty much inline with everyone elses thoughts.

If you would like I can get you Z pricing on any of these items (except the mufflex and sceptre) and always free shipping to the lower 48 states, if you interested send me a PM, or make a post in our vendor thread we would be more than happy to earn your business and make you another very satisfied D.A.P. customer!

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance
__________________
With over 2.5 million products available, we have what you need! (including wheels and tires!)
For pricing or questions, email us @ sales@bullysperformance.com

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Outdoorsman2012 Outdoorsman2012 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Age: 24
Posts: 186
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road
Default

thanks, I sent you a PM.

On other thoughts I was looking at the mufflex for the trucks with Duals. The mufflex for stock single looked just like a straight pipe. Hopefully someone can chime in about this or maybe you know. Is our stoke system SS. I feel like a read somewhere that it is and if so why would you replace an entire system thats SS. Also if someone has run there own which if its basically as easy as getting an offset muffler and welding a striaght pipe to both ends that should be too bad. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Bully's Performance's Avatar
Bully's Performance Bully's Performance is offline
BULLYS PERFORMANCE


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: lathrop
Posts: 10,088
Gender: Male
Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 9
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman2012 View Post
thanks, I sent you a PM.

On other thoughts I was looking at the mufflex for the trucks with Duals. The mufflex for stock single looked just like a straight pipe. Hopefully someone can chime in about this or maybe you know. Is our stoke system SS. I feel like a read somewhere that it is and if so why would you replace an entire system thats SS. Also if someone has run there own which if its basically as easy as getting an offset muffler and welding a striaght pipe to both ends that should be too bad. Thanks
really there is no reason to do the entire cat back unless you are going from dual 2.5" exhaust to dual 3" exhaust this would be the only reason that I can think of, as the mufflers used in the cat backs can be purchased separately 95% of the time, I apologize for not getting back to your pm yet, I will respond to it here in just a few

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance
__________________
With over 2.5 million products available, we have what you need! (including wheels and tires!)
For pricing or questions, email us @ sales@bullysperformance.com

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-02-2013, 01:40 AM
fsas64 fsas64 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: california
Age: 27
Posts: 8
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500
Trim Level: laramie
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
fsas64 is on a distinguished road
Default

honestly, i did alot of research on exhaust before i made my decision. honestly the best sound you can get for the dual exhaust setup is a muffler delete, and keeping the resonators. others may say different with different cat back exhaust systems etc, but truth is i love the sound and i get aksed all the time what system im running and when i tell them they are stunned. as far as CAI, im running the K&N 77 series and its great. install was a breeze, MPG increase was delightful, and hearing the engine growl when you stomp on it is very satisfying.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Outdoorsman2012 Outdoorsman2012 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Age: 24
Posts: 186
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsas64 View Post
honestly, i did alot of research on exhaust before i made my decision. honestly the best sound you can get for the dual exhaust setup is a muffler delete, and keeping the resonators. others may say different with different cat back exhaust systems etc, but truth is i love the sound and i get aksed all the time what system im running and when i tell them they are stunned. as far as CAI, im running the K&N 77 series and its great. install was a breeze, MPG increase was delightful, and hearing the engine growl when you stomp on it is very satisfying.
Fsas64, Why did you choose the 77 series over the 63 series. Supposedly you get more performance out of the 63 series. was it for the looks of it? as for the muffler thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Ram725's Avatar
Ram725 Ram725 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jackson Tn/Houston Tx
Posts: 2,134
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep Power: 4
Rep:347
Ram725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the rough
Default

I've got an S&B Intake and absolutely love it and am glad I bought it. I am soon getting an 18" Magnaflow. Either upgrade will do about the same. CAI has great looks and exhaust has great sound. So it is all about what you want to accomplish.
__________________
NEW: F-250 FX4 6.7 SEMA Build In Progress
14" STMW SUSPENSION, 40X15.50 NITTOS, 22X14 AMERICAN FORCE, H&S, S&B, ICON COILOVERS. Build Thread

SOLD: 2012 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4
SOLD: 2012 RAM 1500 8" on 37s + much more Build Thread
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 PM
BlackHemiExpress's Avatar
BlackHemiExpress BlackHemiExpress is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winnfield, LA
Age: 24
Posts: 125
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:13
BlackHemiExpress is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman2012 View Post
Hi all, getting some tax money back and was thinking about which mod to do first. My truck is a 2012 white qc oudoorsman 4x4 with 1900 miles. I have been looking at the k@n cai and the mufflex 18 muffler. I will not be doing both eventually but was wondering your thoughts on which is more important to complete first. I'm leaning toward the muffler more so i can finally hear what this truck should sound like. Any other thoughts of different brands and feelings on them is also appreciated. Leaning toward the k&n for ease of install have read that some others don't just bolt up. Same with mufflex just ease of install. Only mod presently is airlift 1000s. Thanks
I have the DOD18M and love it. After the muffler runs a while, it will be a bit louder at idle, but once the truck warms up it's just right.
__________________

Mufflex DOD18M & Custom Intake tube w/air box mox
Diablo Intune DCX with Hemifever Tuning
Longtubes coming soon...
RIPP supercharger coming soon...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 AM
nfd538's Avatar
nfd538 nfd538 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Jersey
Age: 38
Posts: 533
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 sport crew
Trim Level: sport crew
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:13
nfd538 is on a distinguished road
Default

Screw those $300-400 cai, drop in a better filter and do the snorkel mod on the stock air box.
__________________
BT catch can, 20% tint, Leer 100xl top, Aero 3030xl
Bilstein 5100, Duratracs 275x65x20 (winter), 20" SRT & 275x55x20 Nitto terra graps (summer), InTune DCX, MagHytech diff cover
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-17-2013, 02:41 AM
misfit1981's Avatar
misfit1981 misfit1981 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 141
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver PS2
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:45
misfit1981 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinkle1989 View Post
If going with a traditional CAI (k and n, volant, AirAid, Sceptre, etc.) I would recommend a simple drop in replacement filter as you will see almost the same gains, if wanting real improvements I would get the Vararam Air grabber, as far as the mufflex 18" muffler goes don't waste the extra coin just get the 18" magnaflow muffler at 1/3rd of the cost and pay a shop $50-$70 dollars to weld it in instead of clamping it in, much better seal and no leaks that way, this is just my $.02 however it is pretty much inline with everyone elses thoughts.

If you would like I can get you Z pricing on any of these items (except the mufflex and sceptre) and always free shipping to the lower 48 states, if you interested send me a PM, or make a post in our vendor thread we would be more than happy to earn your business and make you another very satisfied D.A.P. customer!

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance
I was actually looking at the Mufflex 24M, or rather looking at buying the 24" MagnaFlow muffler. I'm just not sure which one I need (shape, inlet/outlet, etc). If anyone has any ideas I'd be greatful!
__________________
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace." -George Washington
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cai, k&n, muffler, mufflex, outdoorsman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:05 PM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum