Props to Leebroox on the ChallengerForumz! His write-up inspired me to do this one.
I had been toying with the idea of doing this swap since I got the truck. I never really cared for the generic green that Mopar uses everywhere. I wanted to do a how-to on this and document everything, since I figured there are probably more that may wanna give this a shot.
Let me preface this by saying that I am not a pro electrician by any means. I simply grew up around this stuff and have a bit more knowledge than most when it comes to this. I hope this helps any of you guys that may have some doubt about doing this type of swap. It's not for the faint of heart, but it's definitely not impossible either.
I will be documenting these mods separately, and will keep them all in this thread for easy reference.
1. Door Lock/Window Controls
2. Dash Center Stack Controls (AC and Heating controls, traction control buttons, etc.)
3. Headlight Switch
4. Overhead Console including the Homelink buttons
5. Center Console PRND Shifter indicator
6. Steering Wheel Controls
The first mod is for the door lock/window controls. I am only showing the drivers door, but the other doors are all the same.
(stay tuned for the rest of the mods later, but in no specific order...)
Here's what you'll need to get started.
1) Soldering iron with a pencil tip. The smaller, the better.
2) Solder (preferrably 60/40 rosin core solder - the thinner the better)
3) De-soldering braid (solder-wick)
4) T20 Torx screwdriver
5) 2 small flat screwdrivers
6) Assorted Trim tools
6) 11 3.2mm x 2.8mm Blue LEDs (or whatever color you prefer) These are SMD (surface mounted devices) and are VERY tiny! ORDER EXTRAS! You may need a magnifier to work with these. The 2.2mm x 1.4mm LEDs are literally the size of a fleas ass! Just ask Leebroox!
These are the ones I used and recommend:
Removing the controls is very simple on our trucks. Just use your choice of trim tools and pry up/remove the switch control module from the door. I'm only showing the driver's door control, but all the others are the same.
Once that's done, simply unplug the harness.
Take the switch inside to your workplace and disassemble.
Be very careful when taking it apart! Make sure you do so with it upside-down so as not to have everything fall apart on the floor.
Now we're down to the nuts of it. I opted to leave the amber on/off indicator LEDs alone. (personal preference) The hardest part here is removing the button contacts from the PCB. This piece must be de-soldered completely before removing it from the board. Try to to not get the board too hot when removing the LEDs. The traces on the board may lift, forcing you to replace the whole thing. Also, make sure you don't get the LEDs too hot when soldering them to the PCB. You will ruin them, or at the very least, shorten their lifespan.
You MUST make absolutely sure when you're doing this mod that you have the polarity correct on the LEDs!! I can't stress this enough. These are hard enough to change as it is. You don't want to have to go back and re-do them because you got them backwards! Check the cathode on the original LED first.
Once you have them all changed, simply reverse the above procedure for reassembly. I opted to test my work first by just plugging in the module itself in the door. You must turn on the key to see the door switches illuminate. The pic below sucks, I know. Trust me, these are very dark blue and look absolutely awesome in the dark! They are NOT white.
I hope you guys can make some sense of all this. I'll be documenting the other stuff soon.