DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:25
EWC88 is on a distinguished road
Default Brake paint color?

I have to replace my brakes real soon so I thought about painting the calipers while I'm at it, but not sure what color to do. My truck is silver, smoked tail lights, and probably soon going to plasti-dip my rims in black. I thought of painting the black and then have silver writing saying dodge or ram but not sure how good I'll be with that lol. I also thought a blue but not positive if it'll throw it off.

Any input on what colors you guys think would be great!

Also what paint does everyone use? How well does it hold up?
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:214
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

Alot of guys go with red when they paint their calipers. It's really up to you and the color scheme you want to use on your truck. If you like blue then go with blue. If you like red go with red. I plan on going with green eventually since it goes with the "theme" of my truck and my green LED's. Since you have a silver truck any color you use will look pretty good and will stand out especially behind a black rim.

As for paint, there are multiple companies that make a brake caliper paint that will hold up to the heat your brakes produce. If you cant find any then just go with a paint that has an extremely high heat tolerance, like header paint, or something similar.

You also want to make sure you really prep the calipers well. A few guys have reported chipping of the paint and having to go back and touch them up. This all comes down to the prep work. The better you do, the longer they will last
-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 QC 2wd
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Brilliant black pearl
Rep:150
Ramfd has a spectacular aura aboutRamfd has a spectacular aura about

I used the dupilcolor caliper paint in red, but i did have some chipping. I just have to go back every so often and touch the spots. No big deal really. I went with red to tie the color of my strips into the truck a bit more.
Belltech 2/4 Drop, Mufflex delete, aFe stage II intake, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit bed cover, Rhino Linings Spray in bed liner, Debadged, Red LED bed lighting, Airlift 1000 kit (part# 60824), Nitto 420s 285/50/20
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

Any color except black. If you paint your wheels black they will just get lost behind them, and will make your wheels look weird in pics.
Red is always a good choice, but it's almost been overdone (no offense Ramfd, yours work w/ the stripes). OP, I think silver w/ black lettering would look good on your truck. It would tie into the truck's colors, and would "pop" behind the black wheels. JMO

P.S. They make brake caliper-sized decals you can get off ebay that say "RAM", "MOPAR", etc.. I wouldn't use them as a decal, but they would make a great paint stencil!

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-

Last edited by RAM EM; 02-19-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:25
EWC88 is on a distinguished road

I do like red but my truck has none on it so I won't go with that, but Ramfd your truck looks great!

I didn't think of silver with black lettering, that might be a option now lol.

What's best prep work before painting?