DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-14-2015, 04:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1979 Chevrolet Camaro
Rep:10
Fredl is on a distinguished road
Default Question for Canadians: Lift Kits

Hi Guys,

probably i have the chance to travel for work to ontaria for a long time.
Thinking already about getting a '10 2500 Ram which i want to lift.

What regulations should i consider in ontaria?

I was thinking about a 5" suspension lift with 35 tires.

Do i have some kind of tests? Inspections?
Could i get problems with the police if i let a work shop install the suspension kit?

Just want to inform me before i get in trouble
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2015, 02:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram SXT Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Ballast is on a distinguished road

I'm certainly no expert but with the number of lifted trucks I see on the road I wouldn't think there's a problem. Hopefully someone smarter will add in.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: ST/SXT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:20
kelaog is on a distinguished road

Just try to to stand out too much. I can't remember what the legal limit is. In BC it goes by the bumper height which is 29.5" this will vary province to province. BC probably being the lowest of the bunch . Some states go by the height to the vehicle frame.

That being said, if you stand out too much you'll get a lot of attention. Maybe go with a 3-4" lift and 35" tires. Doubt you'd have a problem.

I knew a guy with a 3500 with an 8" lift. Didn't take long for the vehicle inspections to stack up. That truck was aweful to drive, but looked cool as hell.

pulled this from a quick google search. It's not a direct answer to your question but with a bit of reading you could push your truck right to the limit if you wanted. Ontario doesn't sound too bad.

Quote:
Read every regulation to be sure. Cut and paste the entire address below into your address bar.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/Browse?quer ... 90h08_e#11

Headlamps are under regulation 596

There is a equipment regualion under 587

There is a tire standard regulation under 625

Vehicle dimensions regulation under 413

Read the entire HTA, especially the Equipment section, which begins at section 61 and dimension section at 108.

Last edited by kelaog; 01-14-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:22 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:2026
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm running an 8" lift on 37's in BC... haven't had any issues with cops even being pulled over for other reasons. Most just look at the truck as I go buy and don't think anything of it. Lots even give me a thumbs up.
As long as it's done right and nothing is standing out as super ridiculous you shouldn't have any issues; especially with only a 5" lift and 35's. But your best option is going to be looking up Ontario's motor vehicle act and read up on some of the rules and regulations just so you're aware of them. A couple things to look out for will be bumper height, headlight height, how far your tires stick out (but everyone breaks that rule), whether or not mud flaps are required... stuff like that.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs) | 30" curved LED Light Bar
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 01-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: ST/SXT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:20
kelaog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelaog
I knew a guy with a 3500 with an 8" lift. Didn't take long for the vehicle inspections to stack up. That truck was aweful to drive, but looked cool as hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
I'm running an 8" lift on 37's in BC... haven't had any issues with cops even being pulled over for other reasons. Most just look at the truck as I go buy and don't think anything of it. Lots even give me a thumbs up.
Maybe I was wrong. Perhaps his truck was higher. It was stupid high and couldn't hold a straight line if it's life depended on it. Might have been a 2006.

FYI: Nice truck How does it drive compared to stock?
Old 01-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelaog View Post
Maybe I was wrong. Perhaps his truck was higher. It was stupid high and couldn't hold a straight line if it's life depended on it. Might have been a 2006.

FYI: Nice truck How does it drive compared to stock?
Thanks! It drives just as good as stock if not better. I made sure I did everything right when I lifted it. So it has Fox 2.0 shocks all around, Fox 2.0 dual steering stabilizer and a Hell Bent Steel steering box brace. I literally can let right go of the steering wheel and the truck will drive straight down the road forever. Everything feels very nice and tight as well. The only thing I've thought about changing now is the rear leaf springs for something a re-arced and softer and then get rid of my blocks and add some air bags for when I do tow.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs) | 30" curved LED Light Bar
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Old 01-20-2015, 10:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

thanks to all

what are good sources for great prices for wheels/tires and lift kits in canada (dont want to pay tax when ordering in the states)?
Old 01-20-2015, 04:00 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredl View Post
thanks to all

what are good sources for great prices for wheels/tires and lift kits in canada (dont want to pay tax when ordering in the states)?
You're going to pay tax whether you buy it in Canada or the States; there's no way around that. There are ways to get around the brokerage fees and extra shipping costs though. If you live close enough to the US border I would get all the items shipped to a place in the States just across the border (most border towns will have companies just for this). Then you can go down and pick it up and simply pay the tax coming back across the border.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hm ok didnt know that

but a lot of companies offer free shipping in the states, are there some well knowns also in canada?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredl View Post
Hm ok didnt know that

but a lot of companies offer free shipping in the states, are there some well knowns also in canada?
There isn't a ton of lift supplies in Canada specifically. If the company does offer service in Canada the parts are typically coming from the States anyway so you will end up paying the brokerage fees.
I highly doubt you'll find a company in Canada that offers free shipping; I've never seen one in my research. And if you do find one that says free shipping you'll probably be paying more for the product itself as they're using that markup to cover the shipping cost.